Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

what's with the love affair with widebodies (or the haterade on 757s?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2011, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton something

I've seen a bunch of posts recently deriding the 752... is there something I'm missing here? Is it just that *as currently configured* a lot of the 757's are not equivalent to the super nice new 3-class 767/744/777 fleet?

If folks are complaining about having to ride TATL on what amounts to a UA domestic 757 then I totally get it... but when I read about these new 757 international routes, I'm assuming that they'll get rolled out as the new seats and hard product is rolled to the 757 fleet.

Am I missing something? Or is this just typical FT whining?
Old Nov 20, 2011, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by ljwobker
I agree with you. The PMCO 752 BF seats are the same as the 777 BF seats, and for me 21A/F are better than any Y seats on a widebody. I guess if you like to walk/stand alot two isles are better than one.

The PMUA folks miss the widebody option of F and E+ seating, and also claim the PMCO seats are hard and uncomfortable.

SunLover
Old Nov 20, 2011, 7:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
One advantage of widebodies is dual aisles and more aisle seats
Old Nov 20, 2011, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by ljwobker
I've seen a bunch of posts recently deriding the 752... is there something I'm missing here? Is it just that *as currently configured* a lot of the 757's are not equivalent to the super nice new 3-class 767/744/777 fleet?

If folks are complaining about having to ride TATL on what amounts to a UA domestic 757 then I totally get it... but when I read about these new 757 international routes, I'm assuming that they'll get rolled out as the new seats and hard product is rolled to the 757 fleet.

I'm a PMUA flyer, and I've asked this before and only gotten in response. PMUA used to run 752s DEN-Hawaii if I remember correctly, and I prefer the p.s. fleet over the widebodies that AA runs SFO/LAX-JFK.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 7:22 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Sorry but there is no comparison to a wide body and a narrow body in terms of the open feeling you have in the cabin. Seat may be the same but the feeling of being cramped into a small tube is much less in a wide body. Put a regular seat on a E145 and you are still on a crappy RJ. Having said that, I think they make sense from the east coast to western parts of Europe and appreciate that concept of more routes on smaller plane as opposed to only having the option of a few routes on largers planes.

Hey, would I like to fly a 777 from IND-ORD all the time...sure. Do I think it is a good idea to run that aircraft on that route, no.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I never objected to the use of 752s TATL. I find the J cabin to be nice and private, and as far as I'm concerned, Y- is Y-. OTOH, routes such as IAD-CDG that get downgauged to a 752 from UA metal will lose out on E+ until CO puts that on their birds.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 7:27 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Widebodies don't remind pax as much that they're flying in a big aluminum tube.

It's not claustrophobia, per se, but regardless of seat quality, IFE, etc., a widebody simply feels more spacious. By that token, a 777 does feel less confining than does even a 767.

Imagine putting a lie-flat seat or two in an E145--would you want to spend 8 hours in that plane? Probably not.

Originally Posted by SunLover
The PMUA folks miss the widebody option of F and E+ seating, and also claim the PMCO seats are hard and uncomfortable.
That's because they are.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Ignoring the subjective difference between the Y seats, there are a few things I can think of:

-Lack of E+ on current CO 757's
-More aisle seat possibilities
-Larger cabin makes it feel less claustrophobic
-Turbulence doesn't seem as bad on heavier planes
Old Nov 20, 2011, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Huh, I guess I never realized how many people feel claustrophobic on planes as it's never really affected me. Also kind of interesting to hear, given how small most private jets are and yet flying private seems like a higher end experience.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 7:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by exerda
Imagine putting a lie-flat seat or two in an E145--would you want to spend 8 hours in that plane? Probably not.
I dunno...I flew a G IV ISP-BSL and it was pretty nice and only 5 inches wider inside from what I can see of the technical specs.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 8:00 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Widebodies don't remind pax as much that they're flying in a big aluminum tube.

It's not claustrophobia, per se, but regardless of seat quality, IFE, etc., a widebody simply feels more spacious. By that token, a 777 does feel less confining than does even a 767.

I don't buy it. I love the UD on the 747 and so do many others, and I like it because it isn't a big bus, it's small, comfy and personal.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 8:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
One advantage of widebodies is dual aisles and more aisle seats
And more chances for upgrades to C and F.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 8:10 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz Prez; Former UA GS
I have a hunch that some PMUA Flyertalkers simply take pride in United using widebodies, as it reflects a "true" international airline. I've seen quite a bit of CO-bashing and how it's not a real international carrier.

Personally, it's more exciting to fly in a large bird like a 777 or 747. It's amazing these jets can even take off. And, with the side walls being less concave, it feels less claustrophobic.

I also like the soft-closing, dampered toilet seats on 777s.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is all strange as the upstairs on the 744 seems to be coveted and it is just like being on a narrow body. 2x2 single aisle.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton something
I've actually spent about 5 hours on an Embraer Legacy, which is either an ERJ-135 or ERJ-145 airframe with a corporate cabin. And given how THAT one was set up inside, I'd be more than happy to spend 48 hours flying around in it. ;-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.