Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

March 3, 2012 - integration day for SHARES res. system.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

March 3, 2012 - integration day for SHARES res. system.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2012, 10:11 pm
Used to be PWMRamper

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyingNone
========================================

Thanks for the update......good luck on the gate training.......your first exposure will be daunting. I stoodby as an observer today at a CO gate. What kills me is that one or two of the entries are short and fast yet 98% of everything else is still a lot of typing and scrolling through things.

The GA today upgraded two people, who were already seated in the back of the coach cabin -- this seems to be the standard procedure-- (???); she had me go onboard (and press through the moving crowd) to hand them new boarding passes for F class but they declined the upgrade (two seats not together). I now had to move upstream against the boarding herd, advise her of the decline; she had to "unseat" or "offload" them from F class back to their original seats in coach (to reconcile the computer) but first had to "tell the computer" they were downgraded from those F class seats into the coach cabin and then recheck them into the original coach seats. It was such a struggle, such a convoluted process that she was having trouble and said "I have to call the Help Desk" !
Good grief, call a Help Desk while you're in the final minutes of boarding ????
I said, can't you just reconcile this after departure? In the end she had to do that but it's risky, can mess up the time of departure and the actual time the flight is closed or finalized. So good luck on your gate training. Also their passenger manifests are something else to behold altogether. I'll let you decide.
I was just flipping through our SHARES book (we haven't done seat changes/upgrades/swaps yet) and there would seem to be a much, much easier way to do that.

Voluntary downgrade is an easy command. I don't believe you have to unseat/offload and recheck in.

There's also the Seat Swap function (which is one I LOVE by the way), that she could've done to the next two people in line for the upgrade.

Now maybe I'm offbase because I haven't learned it yet but those were the first things that came to mind.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 10:26 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by PWMRamper
There's also the Seat Swap function (which is one I LOVE by the way), that she could've done to the next two people in line for the upgrade.
Yea, this is a benefit of Shares over Apollo/fastair. I'll give credit where credit is due. But that is more than offset with doing just a seat change, which happens far more often, especially when the similar name list comes up. You would think that by idetifying a specific seat, as in Apollo/fastair, that it would be a 1 to 1 function, but Shares doesn't let you identify a specific individual, it wants to ONLY use names, and then pop up the "which Lee are you refering to on flight 850 from PEK, we have 60 of them and you must scroll thru them all and all of their irrelevant data to select the correct one, even though you can identify him uniquely by seat data." (It really doesn't say all that, but it should as that is what the response translates into common tongue is.)
Old Feb 25, 2012, 10:38 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by PWMRamper
I was just flipping through our SHARES book (we haven't done seat changes/upgrades/swaps yet) and there would seem to be a much, much easier way to do that.

Voluntary downgrade is an easy command. I don't believe you have to unseat/offload and recheck in.

Now maybe I'm offbase because I haven't learned it yet but those were the first things that came to mind.
==============================
Believe it or not, the other trainee and I were suggesting she do these things but she kept putting in other entries we were not familiar with - shortcuts that were not working ? What I don't like about seat selection or seat changes in SHARES is that you have to precede the seat number with a modifier for certain rows - ie, exits, bulkheads, etc. -- if you don't know the "modifier" code you have to page down to see it at the bottom of the seat chart.
As I said maybe 2 percent of things are fast/easy; the other 98 percent takes commands that you have to remember if they need to be done while in the PNR or cannot be done while in the PNR. ....The commands then necessitate another page or scroll down with "X" placed in the appropriate areas. Try to do a bag charge (//EDD/BAG) for a non-premier passenger and then collect the charge in the PNR.....this will sequentially display one screen to a second screen, third screen, fourth screen and finally a fifth screen.....

1. "X" next to appropriate name (ie., multiple name PNR).
2. "X" indicate 1st bag and/or second bag (from a choice list).
3. "X" fill-in for number of bags and price(s).
4. "X" indicate form of payment (choice list - cash, credit).
5. "X" print receipt.

Need I say more ?...........THANKFULLY, "Check-it" will do all these things from a pull-down menu - all steps are eliminated - just indicate number of bags, automatically prices, collect FOP.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exerda
Does it still run on some dinosaur mainframe, or have they at least ported it to an IBM RS/6000-based AIX box?

I know when I supported old IBM mainframe equipment (running VM/CMS and MVS), we eventually forced all the users to migrate to an AIX box which took up the space of a desk instead of half the computer room. Most of the applications were migrated without too much difficulty, though fortunately I was not involved in that!

I just can't imagine anyone still runs System/370 and /390 computers even with massive legacy applications on them; it's easier (and far cheaper) to emulate and run on more modern hardware on minicomputers and multiple blades than it is to maintain mainframes. Then again, these are airlines we're talking about...
I think your imagination might be the dinosaur here

Mainframes are not dead. They are smaller and cheaper (to buy and run). Over the years, attempts have been made to migrate away from mainframes both on the reservation side and on the frequent flyer side. At least for many of the major carriers, they have not found a cheaper replacement.

I think if one is to build a brand new infrastructure, it is probably not too smart to consider mainframes. For companies, there are many in many industries (airlines, banking, government), that have legacy applications, improvements on the cost front made the math of switching not so obvious.

With the whole thing about cloud computing and virtualization, we are really back to the mainframe and VM model.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Agent at the International Club in SFO had a handwritten label "Old dog, new tricks" stuck over her name tag (They're all in a good mood today, charming and cheerful - check-in agents, bar tenders, even the usually miserable Covenant Security people. I wonder what's going on?)
Old Feb 26, 2012, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
With what? None of the other PSS options out there are particularly different. They're all old mainframe systems that have good and bad aspects.

Now, if you meant "why didn't they develop a front-end for shares long before now?" that's a reasonable query, but also a very different one.
That's not true. Off all the PSS options out there, Amadeus' Altea is built group up differently, not on TPF architecture but open back ends. Even it's reservation system architecture (circa 1970s) is almost entirely migrated off of TPF.

SABRE. Believe is trying something similar, but I'm not sure on its progress thus far.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA 1.6MM
As we're less than a week away from the integration, a little bit of nostalgia is in order.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYuS6P7fmGk

RAR! Ready for SHARES!
Old Feb 26, 2012, 11:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
I wonder if United has considered enhancing the functionality of the kiosk application. It seems that a lot of the frustration/time in SHARES comes from rebooking during IRROPS. I'm guessing that, like the Check-It app and others that people have mentioned an enhanced software set on the chickens could help travelers rebook themselves.

In fact, the United iPhone app could be built to incorporate this functionality and reduce dependance on GAs and the Kiosks.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 4:53 am

Programs: their are many of them
I do not plan to step foot near an airport this weekend....... it is going to be quite a show I imagine...

I don't think someone could pay me to fly
Old Feb 27, 2012, 4:54 am

Programs: GS, 3 MM, Hilton Diamond
This could be very interesting

I have a March 3rd, Saturday morning 6AM flight from the east coast connecting to a transpac. The timing of the changeover is going to be interesting.

From: http://www.travelmarketreport.com/te...leID=6965&LP=1

Travel agents can expect an estimated four-hour disruption in United’s automated systems and in access to its flight information in GDSs. If all goes as planned, the interruption will be confined to pre-dawn hours when most North American agents are still asleep.

The historic migration will begin late in the evening of March 2 and is expected to be completed in the early hours of March 3.

Four-hour shutdown
Beginning at about 1 a.m. EST on March 3, the carrier’s systems, including its connections to GDSs and its website functionality, will be unavailable.

Migration of a passengers services system (PSS) is a complex undertaking, so the exact length of time cannot be predicted, but it is expected to be about four hours.

When the integration is completed, Continental Airlines will cease to exist. The CO code will pass into history, as will Continental’s 005 ticket stock.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 6:18 am

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
i still dont know why im flying on saturday to AMS....DOH!
Old Feb 27, 2012, 9:55 am

Programs: MileagePlus
Three examples of Contentintal's IT systems inability to dynamically process transactions.

Upgrades. You can request to be put on the waitlist for Mileage Upgrade Awards, Regional Premier Upgrades and Global Premier Upgrades until 24 hours before departure. Within 24 hours, these upgrades can be requested only through united.com or United Reservations, and only if upgrade seats are available

For Mileage Upgrade Awards that require a co-pay, the co-pay will be collected when you request the upgrade. If you are not successfully upgraded, the co-pay will be refunded and your miles recredited for no fee. Currently payment information is not required until check-in and you are not charged until the upgrade clears.

Flight credit. Our process to credit flights to your account will run once a day, rather than in real-time.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by SFOFastAir
Flight credit. Our process to credit flights to your account will run once a day, rather than in real-time.
This one is even more fun.

You can fly a CO flight with FFN X. Complete the flight. Change the FFN in the res to FFN Y, and get credit to FFN Y.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFOFastAir

For Mileage Upgrade Awards that require a co-pay, the co-pay will be collected when you request the upgrade. If you are not successfully upgraded, the co-pay will be refunded and your miles recredited for no fee. Currently payment information is not required until check-in and you are not charged until the upgrade clears.
This one really frosts me. They take our money, earn interest on it, and we have to pay a finance charge - and we might not even get the upgrade.

What's next, charging a fee every time we search UA.com?
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:39 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by halls120
This one really frosts me. They take our money, earn interest on it, and we have to pay a finance charge - and we might not even get the upgrade.

What's next, charging a fee every time we search UA.com?
From what I've seen, most folks on FT don't use mileage awards that require copays due to the magnitude of the copay and relatively poor use of miles. Keep in mind that copays are waived domestically for elites.

Do you often use mileage upgrades internationally?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.