Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Can I Access the FLL United Club if Departing from another Terminal?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2011, 10:52 am
Original Poster

I am flying ACY-FLL-MYR with a a 4 1/2 hour layover at FLL. I am a United Club member but not flying UA or CO. I am flying NK out of Terminal 4. I know the club is in Terminal 1. Can I get a gate pass from UA to go to the club even though I am flying out of another terminal and on another airline? Do I need to make a reservation at the club in order to get in?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 4, 2011 at 11:18 am Reason: vague thread title
Old Nov 4, 2011, 11:14 am

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Discoverist
Um, if you really want to go

you could just buy a refundable ticket for like 12 hours away or so, go to the club, and cancel the ticket after you leave. Also, I've had success before just showing them my boarding pass at security and saying I want to use the club in that terminal...but it might be a hit or a miss on that
Old Nov 4, 2011, 11:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
This is a legacy CO PC so unless the rules have changed you can go to a CO ticket counter and ask for a gate pass. Are you a former PC or RCC member? That may also make a difference. They aren't as integrated yet as you may hope!
Old Nov 5, 2011, 3:39 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Plat, AMEX Plat
We've done this a few times without a problem. Had to stop by CO for a gate pass, just showed id and RCC card. Last time was before club consolidation / name change, so would guess UA counter could now issue gate pass as well.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by umustbjokim
We've done this a few times without a problem. Had to stop by CO for a gate pass, just showed id and RCC card. Last time was before club consolidation / name change, so would guess UA counter could now issue gate pass as well.
There is no (legacy) UA counter at FLL, they haven't operated there for years.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 10:54 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
You won't even need a gate pass. The TSA will allow you into any terminal as long as you have a same day ticket to fly out of that airport. If they point out you're in the wrong terminal just say you want to use the lounge and that's good enough. Now of course you know you'll have to leave and take the shuttle bus to T4 and reclear security right?
Old Nov 5, 2011, 4:46 pm

Spirit Warning

Also, keep in mind that dealing with Spirit Air is unlike dealing with any other US-based airline. In January, the airline that will be charging passengers $5 if you need an agent to help you print a boarding pass at the airport. That fee plus the host of other Spirit fees seem to elicit more complaints than normal airlines. While I'm sure a FTer will be aware of the fees, just consider that one person in front of you causing a conflict can easily stop the entire operation. So, make sure you allow plenty of time to get through Terminal 4 at FLL.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 9:38 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Plat, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by worldtrav
There is no (legacy) UA counter at FLL, they haven't operated there for years.
I would have sworn I got the gate pass at United counter. I thought I got snippy at the CO counter when that made me go over to UA. In any case, you can get a gate pass to go to club.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 3:27 am

Programs: CO Platinum / BA Gold
Originally Posted by robertlew
Can I get a gate pass from UA to go to the club even though I am flying out of another terminal and on another airline?
Yes, but they don't like to do it because the club is tiny at FLL. You may have to politely insist.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 7:36 am

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
You won't even need a gate pass. The TSA will allow you into any terminal as long as you have a same day ticket to fly out of that airport. If they point out you're in the wrong terminal just say you want to use the lounge and that's good enough. Now of course you know you'll have to leave and take the shuttle bus to T4 and reclear security right?
I succeeded in doing the same thing at T2 in LAX, but the TSA ID checking agent's supervisor thought he was doing me a huge one-time-only favour.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by Joshua
I succeeded in doing the same thing at T2 in LAX, but the TSA ID checking agent's supervisor thought he was doing me a huge one-time-only favour.
Personally, I was denied by the TSA boarding pass checker at FLL.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 6:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
TSA Rules Changed

No need to monkey around with refundable tix / gate passes, TSA nationwide rule now is that so long as you have valid BP which would afford you entry at any checkpoint, you may access all checkpoints.

You may well encounter a TSO who points out that you are at the "wrong" checkpoint, but that's just to deal with the fact that most people at the "wrong" checkpoint really are at the wrong checkpoint !
Old Nov 14, 2011, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by Often1
No need to monkey around with refundable tix / gate passes, TSA nationwide rule now is that so long as you have valid BP which would afford you entry at any checkpoint, you may access all checkpoints.

You may well encounter a TSO who points out that you are at the "wrong" checkpoint, but that's just to deal with the fact that most people at the "wrong" checkpoint really are at the wrong checkpoint !

Do you have a reference where I can print out the rule. I have 5 hours at EWR in Dec. Award ticket on CO but I am a sky club member and the lounge is in a different terminal.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 7:36 am

UA Club and FLL Terminal ?

OK, this is my situation: I am a paid US Club Member, therefore I have access to UA Clubs. I am leaving from FLL on NK (Terminal 4). I will arrive at FLL very early and would like to go to the UA Club in Terminal 1. #1) Will I be allowed through security in Terminal 1 with an NK Boarding Pass and US Club Card? #2) How difficult is it to get from Terminal 1 to Terminal 4 at FLL? Thanks........
Old Dec 6, 2012, 8:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
You won't be allowed through by those TSA idiots - the only option is getting a pass from the agents, but I believe this is for United Club members only per the SHARES notes (IIBM, so someone can correct me).

The bigger problem is the airport layout - you will need to take a bus between the terminals and this can take a long time unless you walk from T1 to the rental car center and take the upper level bus which doesn't deal with the chaotic arrivals traffic - but you need to budget at least 30 minutes just for this ride in case of traffic.

Then you have the risk of T4 security delays....it might not be worth it unless the purpose is to get sloshed on cheap free booze before facing your flight on America's worst airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.