Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

AMEX buying US Airways Club Memberships to get Plat cardholders into *A lounges?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX buying US Airways Club Memberships to get Plat cardholders into *A lounges?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2011, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Gold, UA Premier Executive, Marriott Gold, Priority Club Platinum, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold

I’m posting this in the CO/UA forum since it has to do with the loss of MR transfer and lounge access to CO/UA for AMEX Plat cardholders. Not sure if it’s targeted to certain AMEX Plat customers that fly on CO/UA.

Background: I have an AMEX Platinum personal card and also pay extra for 3 additional cards (I pay yearly $625). I transferred 110,000 MR points from AMEX and spilt it between my CO and my wife’s CO OnePass accounts right before the deadline in Sept. I was thinking of cancelling the Plat card coming up on renewal next month since CO/UA lounge access and points transfer was a huge benefits loss for me, but haven’t acted of it yet.

Today: I get a called from an unknown number, its AMEX out of the blue asking how I’m doing, if the point transfer went through fine, if I’m aware that it ended in Sept. I told him yes. He asked how much I travel, 2-3 times a year all on CO/UA. He then proactively asked if AMEX can sign me up and PAY for a year of US Airways Club membership, normally close to $500. That should get me into any *A lounge. He mentioned something about Gold, but I forgot what is was about. He said it should take a few weeks for the materials to get to me. Just asked to verify my email address, thats all. I asked if my additional card members can be signed up, but he said it’s only for the primary card holder.

Has any other AMEX cardholder that flies CO/UA experienced this?
Old Nov 2, 2011, 2:23 pm

Programs: AMEX PL, Avis First, AA GLD
Sounds fishy. You're AMEX PLT card already gets you into the US Airways Lounges without needing to fly them that day.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 2:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by frubio2012
You're AMEX PLT card already gets you into the US Airways Lounges without needing to fly them that day.
But it won't get you into The United Club (or any other *A lounge). By providing a US club membership, it's a way to get into all *A lounges.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Gold, UA Premier Executive, Marriott Gold, Priority Club Platinum, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold
It does sound too good to be true, I admit. I’ve even trying a MR just to reach Gold on OnePass before the year end. But he specifically mentioned that by having the actually US Airways Club membership will allow me to get into Continental and United lounges since my card will no longer get me in and as a plus, *A lounges as well. It’s a workaround he offered to keep my lounge access to Continental and United, not to get into US Airways lounges.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 2:59 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Wonder if it's a "first year free, then it's $500 each subsequent year" sort of deal?
Old Nov 2, 2011, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

He didn’t discuss cost or any reoccurring billing as part of the deal; I gather it’s a $500 value from US Airways’ website, but I wouldn’t be surprised though if US Airways will ram up trying to get me to renew next year.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 3:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FinalF137
He didn’t discuss cost or any reoccurring billing as part of the deal; I gather it’s a $500 value from US Airways’ website, but I wouldn’t be surprised though if US Airways will ram up trying to get me to renew next year.
$500 may be a bit high on the value
US ran a sale earlier this year and has had dicounted prices before
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...nnual-fee.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-ua-match.html
Old Nov 2, 2011, 3:52 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Given that they already give access to US Airways clubs the incremental cost to Amex for full club membership may not be nearly as high, probably closer to $100.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA Silver, MRP Platinum, Marriott Vacation Club Chairman, SPG Platinum, Cunard Platinum,
What other clubs will the Amex card allow you to access? I mean besides US?
Old Nov 2, 2011, 4:52 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Given that they already give access to US Airways clubs the incremental cost to Amex for full club membership may not be nearly as high, probably closer to $100.
Exactly. No way AMEX pays what we'd pay. They're probably buying thousands of US Club memberships and they're getting a sweetheart deal. It's AMEX's attempt to counter Chase's embargo of United Clubs and keep AMEX cardholders from defecting to the Presidential Plus card. It may work.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 5:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Very smart of both AX and USAir. If AX offered this as a published benefit I might just switch to a Platinum Card.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 6:11 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AA PM
Originally Posted by SF1K
Very smart of both AX and USAir. If AX offered this as a published benefit I might just switch to a Platinum Card.
It would be nice but if they did that I'm sure Chase would ask/make UA stop letting US Airways Club Members (which retails for $450 btw) into RCCs.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 6:20 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by snaporaz
It would be nice but if they did that I'm sure Chase would ask/make UA stop letting US Airways Club Members (which retails for $450 btw) into RCCs.
That would have major repercussions, I don't think Chase could force it.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 7:27 pm

Location: Port St Lucie, FL, UA1K since 1994 and 3mm, Delta 1mm
Programs: Marriott Titanium Life, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by icydog
What other clubs will the Amex card allow you to access? I mean besides US?
Admirals Club (AA)
Sky Club (Delta)

Plus Priority Pass -- which gets you into many lounges worldwide (guests are extra). Priority Pass used to work in the RCC until 1 Oct.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by snaporaz
How would US elites get into UA's *G lounges then? This would never happen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.