Wiki Posts
Search

The Continental Attitude

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2011, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

If a Merger Becomes Necessary, Please Leave All Continental Attitudes Behind

I used to fly CO regularly but have been doing UA mostly the last few years. My observation is that UA FAs are polite, friendly or indifferent.

CO FAs seem to work harder but some of them have that New York attitude - sort of rushed/short, not as friendly or polite, efficient and sometimes sarcastic with a wink.

Today, on a flight, we started boarding late (apparently some maintenance issue) and I was the first one to board (since I was in F bulkhead and wanted to get my bin space).

When I got on, the FA looked at me and said "What's the rush?". I said "Are there problems?" Then she said "We had a problem but it is fixed. Why? Are you going to fix it?"

All that without a smile. I was in shock. Then she said "I wasn't talking to you.", without a smile.

I had forgotten about the CO attitude. So I was very displeased. Then, observing her during the rest of the boarding process, it turned out that is just the way she is - she was very friendly with the passengers. She was probably just being playful with me and I remembered from my past CO experiences...

For people who are not used to this, it can certainly be perceived as bad attitude. I really hope this does not carry over.

Comments? Thoughts? Observations?

Thanks.

Last edited by username; Oct 22, 2011 at 8:32 am
Old Oct 22, 2011, 12:29 am
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
CO's EWR-based crews are the best inflight staff the New United system has, hands down. On a bad day they're merely OK, on a good day they beat the Singapore Girls. Many United crews --with the exception of IAD-, HKG- and NRT-based FAs -- tend to be far more disinterested in the notion of providing good service, and even The COurageous Leader Jeff Smisek has made tongue-in-cheek comments about this.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 1:21 am

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
CO's EWR-based crews are the best inflight staff the New United system has, hands down. On a bad day they're merely OK, on a good day they beat the Singapore Girls. Many United crews --with the exception of IAD-, HKG- and NRT-based FAs -- tend to be far more disinterested in the notion of providing good service, and even The COurageous Leader Jeff Smisek has made tongue-in-cheek comments about this.
I'd like to put in a plug for CO's CLE-based crews. I've had great experiences in F, good service in Y, and have not run into F/As with bad or sassy attitudes. It's unfortunate that it looks like that crew base will be getting reduced.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 1:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Any Asia base wins. Gimme a break, new jersey can't hang with real UA in NRT or real UA HKG in the air and especially on the ground.

The SIN girls are overrated though. I will give you that
Old Oct 22, 2011, 1:41 am
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Any Asia base wins. Gimme a break, new jersey can't hang with real UA in NRT or real UA HKG in the air and especially on the ground.

The SIN girls are overrated though. I will give you that
With respect to what??

LAX
Old Oct 22, 2011, 2:06 am

Programs: LHSen UA1K VAGold QFSilv HHon Diamond ShangrilaJade Radisson Gold SPG Gold Marriott Gold Hertz Presi
Please!
I fly United often enough internationally and domestically to know that United has some pretty damn good FAs - in Y,in C and in F - domestic and international - they also have some very bad ones - Its like any other business - good and bad with a few rotten apples - Ive had 2 of my worst experiences in C LX A330-300 and C SQ A380 - both long haul - but I still fly the airlines becasue overall they are good
Just yesterday I did a status credit run -QF - ADL-BNE-TSV-BNE-ADL - all C - I had some great FA and a couple of crap ones -same in the lounges Everyone can have a bad day so its important to be a little forgiving IMHO

But nothing comes between me and my United!!!
Im sorry but with which other airline can you get a fantastic international network, a fantastic domestic network, cheap seats which very often can be upgraded if u look properly both long and short haul and dare I say reasonable lounges - its gotta be United!
Old Oct 22, 2011, 3:48 am

Programs: UA 1k, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz Five Star
That's not my experience. Today's crew do not qualify, and not even close, to UA's "best inflight staff". The single CLE experience from the past was better than anything I have gotten out or EWR. Admittedly I have a smallish experience to draw from (EWR is not a frequent stop for me). Today's 1172 to SFO (from EWR) experience was the worst so far. From the boarding process to in flight, the experience was simply not good. I wouldn't say the FAs were atrocious but not what I consider good and absolutely no where near 'best'.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
CO's EWR-based crews are the best inflight staff the New United system has, hands down.
Um - really? I've only done 35K BIS on CO the past year and a half (my entire CO flight history), but IMO the airline is a whole lot more pleasant with the IAH crews than the EWR ones.

I'd personally nominate the JFK (and by extention, LGA) base from UA for "best in show".
Old Oct 22, 2011, 6:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 76Patriots
That's not my experience. Today's crew do not qualify, and not even close, to UA's "best inflight staff". The single CLE experience from the past was better than anything I have gotten out or EWR. Admittedly I have a smallish experience to draw from (EWR is not a frequent stop for me). Today's 1172 to SFO (from EWR) experience was the worst so far. From the boarding process to in flight, the experience was simply not good. I wouldn't say the FAs were atrocious but not what I consider good and absolutely no where near 'best'.
On my very first CO flight last June, sitting in BF, I witnessed the same kind of unprofessional behavior I used to see on US. Because there was evidently a shortage of FA's, one was taken from our international flight. The lead FA actually went on the PA to announce that because of a FA shortage, they wouldn't be able to be as available. And he was right. While the food and beverage service was politely delivered, the FA's basically hid the remainder of the flight.

Yes, some UA FA's need to be retired, along with their bad attitude, but the majority I've encountered are pleasant and do try to provide excellent service.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by username
When I got on, the FA looked at me and said "What's the rush?". I said "Are there problems?" Then she said "We had a problem but it is fixed. Why? Are you going to fix it?"
Whenever you answer a question in conversation with a question, you run a risk that the person you're speaking with will misinterpret your intentions. That may have happened here; it's hard to know without actually being there to also observe body language and tone of voice of the two speakers.

I think if you had answered the FA's question "What's the rush?" with "I'm in the bulkhead, gotta get my bag stowed," the entire interaction might have been much more like what you normally expect. <shrugs>
Old Oct 22, 2011, 9:39 am

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
...On a bad day they're merely OK, on a good day they beat the Singapore Girls...
You've got to be kidding. I'll take the service on Singapore, Thai, Emirates and even Aegean any day over COUA service out of EWR.

On a great day they are merely OK, on a good day they're invisible and on a bad they you deplane with a few more grey hairs.

In general, service on US airlines (especially legacies) sucks in comparison to most anything you'll find overseas.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
The level of refinement among CO crews is noticeably lacking for someone who flies UA a lot.

While most are good, some of CO's bad apples are really bad. I would much rather have the professionalism of a UA crew addressing you by name when requesting a drink order than a CO FA pointing at me saying "Drink?"

If what you say about Mr. Smisek is true, it's disappointing that he would stereotype an entire crew base like that. It's already clear that he's not interested in what UA could offer the combined airline, as he's just interested in running things the CO way.

That said, maybe after a few more months of playing the Smisek video, he'll endear the legacy UA staff to him so much that the service will rise to his standards.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 9:42 am

Programs: United 1k, Delta Platinum, American Gold, Marriott Titanium and lifetime Platinum
I fly one or the other every week, mostly domestic. Not sure I've noticed a distinction. I've had great FA's on both airlines...and some with attitudes on both airlines. My particular pet peeve is when the FA's finish their service in first and then sit down, chat, read, do cross words, etc. for the majority of the rest of the flight. This is especially bothersome (at least to me) on coast to coast flights. I've experienced this more often on CO than UA. I've also experienced FA's chatting loudly on red eye's when most passengers are trying to sleep...another pet peeve. This happened recently on a SHA-ORD flight. Very irritating. Obviously they're not doing this on purpose...they just aren't thinking.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by channa

That said, maybe after a few more months of playing the Smisek video, he'll endear the legacy UA staff to him so much that the service will rise to his standards.
I think you're onto something here. the CO co-workers clearly buy that they're the finest in the business and can do no wrong. So maybe after hearing it four times a day, the UA employees will start to buy into it too and feel warm fuzzies toward smisek every time they hear him say it.

I think one of the problems is that everyone defines service differently. I have to believe that each station develops its own culture. FAs probably get interviewed locally and when they start flying, they learn the "on the job tips" from FAs from their station. So if your expectations are aligned with a certain station's way of doing things, then you'l get great service. Otherwise, not so much. JUst the way it is.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 11:47 am

Programs: UA/CO-GS/PPlat,AA-Gold,SPG-Plat,Hilton-Diamond,Marriott-Plat,Hertz-Pres_Circe
I generally prefer IAH crews to EWR but then again I prefer the crowd at a typical bar in Houston to Jersey. I suspect for someone from Jersey it might be the inverse.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.