Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA (CO) First 787 Rolls out of the Boeing Factory

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA (CO) First 787 Rolls out of the Boeing Factory

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2011, 8:57 pm

Programs: their are many of them
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Just received the following news alert. Sounds like this is one that CO ordered.
Friendly the first actual united 787 is not scheduled to be delivered till 2013

SO who is excited about the new 787?

anything special going to be on it in the premium cabins say like a bar
Old Oct 13, 2011, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by TWAB747nomore
Friendly the first actual united 787 is not scheduled to be delivered till 2013

SO who is excited about the new 787?

anything special going to be on it in the premium cabins say like a bar
Yeah, that's why I said UA (CO) in the title.. Technically, it will be UA, as they should have the SOC by the time this bird is received..
Old Oct 13, 2011, 9:58 pm

I confused. Normally "roll out" means the plan goes across to the paint shed and then out to the flight line. Why announce this if isn't ready yet?
Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by bmvaughn
And although it rolled out, not expected to be delivered until the 2H of 2012.
Awww what the deuce. That's really lame
Old Oct 14, 2011, 12:21 am
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by Jorgen
I'd be a lot happier about this if I didn't know they'd decided at the last minute to pack in nine abreast in 17" wide seats.

Which, honestly, isn't too bad for a short hop. But for a plane whose main role will be flying fifteen hours at a stretch, I have to say "yeech".

This cabin altitude slash humidity thing had better be good...
How does this compare to the configuration on other birds of the current fleet? Wider, narrower, or about the same? I am okay if it's about the same. I certainly won't look forward to flying it if it's narrower.

LAX
Old Oct 14, 2011, 5:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Bobster
I confused. Normally "roll out" means the plan goes across to the paint shed and then out to the flight line. Why announce this if isn't ready yet?
They're trying to build hype and excitement for it.

It is headed to the paint shed as I understand it but obviously not to the flight line with no engines attached. The CO/UA version of the 787s will be using GE engines rather than RR engines and I do not believe that those are certified and ready to fly yet so there is some delay on the actual delivery while waiting for that to happen. Once that is done I suppose they'll take the otherwise fully assembled and painted aircraft, install the engines and deliver it.
Originally Posted by N1120A
Interesting that it has CO's seating configuration. Would be nice if it had like 8-10 F suites
You'd expect even more F seats than on the 763s??
Old Oct 14, 2011, 9:00 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Also note that the projection of 6 in service by EOY'12 has been adjusted down to 5.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
They're trying to build hype and excitement for it.

It is headed to the paint shed as I understand it but obviously not to the flight line with no engines attached. The CO/UA version of the 787s will be using GE engines rather than RR engines and I do not believe that those are certified and ready to fly yet so there is some delay on the actual delivery while waiting for that to happen. Once that is done I suppose they'll take the otherwise fully assembled and painted aircraft, install the engines and deliver it.
Will we be the first GE aircraft?
Old Oct 14, 2011, 9:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by wcalvert
Will we be the first GE aircraft?
No, JAL will get the first GE-equipped 787 either late this year or early next.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 14, 2011 at 1:37 pm Reason: off-topic
Old Oct 14, 2011, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by sbm12
No engines mounted on it yet. That usually happens in the main assembly line IIRC. But the other pieces are on schedule at this point and Boeing has to keep building the planes or they'll never reach their delivery targets.
Correct. Engines are expensive, IIRC about 1/3 of the overall cost of the aircraft. As such they are not going to install (read pay for them) until closer to the delivery date.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
You don't really realize how much of a difference 2" is until you put the tape measure across your lap and note where your (and your neighbor's) elbows would be at at 19" vs. 17".

17"... yech.

Don't think I'd even settle for E+. Let me pay the 12.5% more please!
Old Oct 14, 2011, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by raehl311
You don't really realize how much of a difference 2" is until you put the tape measure across your lap and note where your (and your neighbor's) elbows would be at at 19" vs. 17".

17"... yech.

Don't think I'd even settle for E+. Let me pay the 12.5% more please!
This why I always try to get a 772 or 763 over the 744 in E+ ... 18" width vs 17" width. The 18" width and E+ is why I fly UA for long haul Y.

If UA starts going to a 17" seat width as a standard, I'll start flying other airlines for long haul Y (after making the minimum segments for elite qualification of course).
Old Oct 14, 2011, 6:47 pm

Programs: their are many of them
Originally Posted by Bobster
an interesting point. My guess would be to amp the exctiment level. However i bet the plane has at least 6 months of testing ahead of it before ready for service
Old Mar 28, 2012, 1:29 pm

United 787.

Mods: Please merge this into an existing 787 thread if you like. I searched and could not find one( Although I know it exists)

So far what we know is that United's first 787 should arrive Fall 2012 (Sept/Oct) and it will be 2 class (BusinessFirst, Economy+/Economy) and the first routes will be Houston-Auckland and Houston-Lagos.

When is United going to launch a website, or some mock up photos and videos of this jet to start some buzz. Would love to see what they have planned for the interior!

ANA and JAL both had websites and photos hit the net about 6 months before they took delivey.

JAL 787 Website http://www.jal.co.jp/en/787/index_02.html

ANA 787 Website http://www.ana.co.jp/promotion/b787/en/

Real JAL 787 Pictures http://www.ausbt.com.au/photos-insid...787-dreamliner

ANA Photos & Video http://www.ausbt.com.au/photos-video...787-dreamliner
Old Mar 28, 2012, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TIMOS
Mods: Please merge this into an existing 787 thread if you like. I searched and could not find one( Although I know it exists)

So far what we know is that United's first 787 should arrive Fall 2012 (Sept/Oct) and it will be 2 class (BusinessFirst, Economy+/Economy) and the first routes will be Houston-Auckland and Houston-Lagos.

When is United going to launch a website, or some mock up photos and videos of this jet to start some buzz. Would love to see what they have planned for the interior.
They had a mock-up display in Houston last year; here's some pictures:

http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/ru...rlines-re.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.