Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA thinks 787 give competitive advantage

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2011, 1:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by SFOtoORD
Historically PMUA operated all those markets with F.
And they do not today, suggesting that operating them as such (or at all) is not profitable. They didn't have equipment with a 2-cabin config so it was not possible to offer that service. Now that option does exist, meaning there is a possibility that they will offer it that way. The company has been pretty clear that they expect to offer some destinations as 3-cabin service and some as 2-cabin, depending on what the market will bear. Makes quite a bit of sense that way, actually.

In addition, I suspect that whatever corporate contracts they have would affect those decisions.
Indeed, though said contracts weren't enough to make it work last time those routes were offered. If there is only enough business via contracts to support 1-2 seats daily then it becomes quite hard to justify outfitting the aircraft and running the fleet that way, especially if they see more C sales or Y sales + upgrades in the demand forecast.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 1:40 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by wco81
One thing which is a damper is what some might consider an underhanded tactic of moving some production to South Carolina, to undermine the union.
It resulted in a net creation of jobs and was much better than the current administration's attempts to shut down the new plant and kill all of those new jobs despite the current 9.1% unemployment rate. If politics is going to come into this, then I'll fly a 787 only if was built in South Carolina.

And to answer UA's claims that people will fly UA for a 787- I have flown UA just for its 777 and will do so for a 787 as well.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
And they do not today, suggesting that operating them as such (or at all) is not profitable. They didn't have equipment with a 2-cabin config so it was not possible to offer that service. Now that option does exist, meaning there is a possibility that they will offer it that way. The company has been pretty clear that they expect to offer some destinations as 3-cabin service and some as 2-cabin, depending on what the market will bear. Makes quite a bit of sense that way, actually.

Indeed, though said contracts weren't enough to make it work last time those routes were offered. If there is only enough business via contracts to support 1-2 seats daily then it becomes quite hard to justify outfitting the aircraft and running the fleet that way, especially if they see more C sales or Y sales + upgrades in the demand forecast.
The flip side of all your arguments could be true too. Perhaps a smaller, more fuel efficient 3 class 787 could work better than the previously flown 777s and 747s. PMUA has never had the 767 in APAC.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by sxf24
Originally Posted by mherdeg
I thought the story was that the first 787s the airline would take delivery of were from a CO order, where the 36J configuration was a given. (That story always seemed a little holey to me -- couldn't they change the order if they really wanted to invest in an international F product?)
Currently, lead time to order first and business class seats is about 24 months. Even if UA wanted to equip 787s with F seats, there hasn't wouldn't have been enough time to get those seats in the earlier deliveries previously ordered by CO. These aircraft have to come in the configuration previously decided by CO, except for minor changes like E+.
So crazy galley misinfo of the day....

A flight attendant on my PEK-EWR claimed she just went through 787 briefing and was told it is 3 class -18 F, 18 J.

She also forgot to return everyones jackets at the end of the flight...

I didn't bother to challenge her memory.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Any guesses on which routes the 787s will fly?
Old Oct 9, 2011, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by 5khours
IAH-AKL is supposed to be the first. I think Lagos was the other one, but it is being started with a 772. I'd expect to see a few more IAH flights before this plane hits the other hubs. I really do think this could be a great plane for Asia. Might help UA do better on routes like SEA-NRT or to add new n/s capacity to Asia.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
As for markets, IAH-AKL is supposed to be the first long-haul market that gets the new plane. IAH-LOS was supposed to also have it but they're putting a 777 on there instead so that they can start it this November rather than waiting until next November when they'll start to have 787s in the fleet.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
IAH-AKL is supposed to be the first. I think Lagos was the other one, but it is being started with a 772. I'd expect to see a few more IAH flights before this plane hits the other hubs. I really do think this could be a great plane for Asia. Might help UA do better on routes like SEA-NRT or to add new n/s capacity to Asia.
I'm on record as saying that I'd bet UA will start SFO-SIN with a 787.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 7:53 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
If new planes, specifically 787s, help draw customers, what is the strategy for where to deploy?

On routes where the airline has the best competitive position or the worst one?

Or do they use it on routes where they could use the cost-savings to enhance the bottom line?

Or would they even try to start a price war in certain markets?
Old Oct 10, 2011, 8:47 am
Suspended

If new planes, specifically 787s, help draw customers, what is the strategy for where to deploy?

On routes where the airline has the best competitive position or the worst one?

Or do they use it on routes where they could use the cost-savings to enhance the bottom line?

Initially, the 787 will be used on routes that were not economical to fly with other equipment, like IAH-AKL. Then at some point, they'll start replacing 767s.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 9:23 am

This is generally not a profitable move unless it is being done to put a competitor out of business.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA nada, Hyatt Disc, Hilton Gold
We only know of two "certainties", but there's been a lot of speculation.

I personally expect to see more directs out of IAH to Asia (PEK or PVG or ICN, perhaps), but something like that is probably still a few years away.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 4:20 am

Programs: UA/ 1K /Marriot-Plat

Not that I am an expert but heard from a pilot in the exit row that initial breifings and trainings on the 787 show that it does not have range for AKL or Lagos. Pilot did not know where it would be flying but told me they knew where it wouldn't be
Old Oct 11, 2011, 4:54 am

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
Originally Posted by SeaRaptor
I personally expect to see more directs out of IAH to Asia (PEK or PVG or ICN, perhaps), but something like that is probably still a few years away.
Are there any new petitions for flights to China?
Old Oct 11, 2011, 7:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jriley
Not that I am an expert but heard from a pilot in the exit row that initial breifings and trainings on the 787 show that it does not have range for AKL or Lagos. Pilot did not know where it would be flying but told me they knew where it wouldn't be
The pilot is incorrect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.