Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Extending SWUs 2012

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2012, 4:19 pm

Systemwide on United Can be Extended to end of Feb

Tried to browse through the forum, but looks like most other people haven't been successful when requesting to extend their systemwide. I called UA today and they were able to extend 1 systemwide to the end of February for me. The agent did tell me she wasn't aware of what the plan is for this, but was able to get it through for me after she talked to "other people"
Old Jan 30, 2012, 5:03 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by Boghopper
They just extended my one remaining swu through 2/12.
How are you all getting this luck? I've called about 3 times now, and each agent tells me that they're no longer extending SWUs...
Old Jan 30, 2012, 5:05 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by jayclag0115
Tried to browse through the forum, but looks like most other people haven't been successful when requesting to extend their systemwide. I called UA today and they were able to extend 1 systemwide to the end of February for me. The agent did tell me she wasn't aware of what the plan is for this, but was able to get it through for me after she talked to "other people"
Can you describe in more detail what you said? I've been denied 3 times trying to extend one more....
Old Jan 30, 2012, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TrueBlue, IHG Plat Amb, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Platinum, National Exec Elite
Seriously....I've gotten negged four times to extend into Feb an extra week...offered up in the Coupon Connection end of last week...not sure if it cleared for the gentleman who I "sponsored" today.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA1k; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Gold; IHG Gold; AA Plat Pro
I got mine extended too - but I had a confirmed ticket in Feb. I think that is what is needed now.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hertz President Circle
Was this through 1k desk or MP? I tried calling the 1K desk and was transferred to MP, but I keep missing them due to me usually calling after hours. :-(
Old Jan 30, 2012, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by 1k650
I got mine extended too - but I had a confirmed ticket in Feb. I think that is what is needed now.
Can I book a Feb ticket tomorrow, call MP, to get SWU extended then cancel the ticket?
Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, DL PM/1MM, Marriott Amb/LT Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Priority Club Platinum, Hyatt Disc
I've just called for the 3rd time to no avail. My trip on 2/10 didn't help. I was told that they could only extend systemwide upgrades earned in 2011, not 2010.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 9:29 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Not only would they not extend one 1/12 SWU, but they would not extend the six 11/12 SWUs earned when I hit 1K in 2011.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by wtigerFF
I've just called for the 3rd time to no avail. My trip on 2/10 didn't help. I was told that they could only extend systemwide upgrades earned in 2011, not 2010.
I called twice today to see if I could extend the 1 SWU expiring today. First time they said they would extend, only if I had a February booking. I did not have a flight booked for February.

I just booked an itinerary (for Feb) and called again, requesting that my 1 expiring SWU be extended. After checking with their supervisor, they extended the SWU and is shows in my Upgrade balance as expiring in Feb 2012.

Originally Posted by kb1992
Can I book a Feb ticket tomorrow, call MP, to get SWU extended then cancel the ticket?
Since the SWU is not attached to any flight, I guess I could cancel the itinerary (within 24 hours) and still have the SWU extension.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, DL PM/1MM, Marriott Amb/LT Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Priority Club Platinum, Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by PBAudit
I called twice today to see if I could extend the 1 SWU expiring today. First time they said they would extend, only if I had a February booking. I did not have a flight booked for February.

I just booked an itinerary (for Feb) and called again, requesting that my 1 expiring SWU be extended. After checking with their supervisor, they extended the SWU and is shows in my Upgrade balance as expiring in Feb 2012.
Who did you call? I've spoken with 1K and MP to no avail, even with an upcoming Feb trip
Old Jan 31, 2012, 3:59 pm

Programs: their are many of them
Speaking on behalf of a GS who does not do FT and stuff no joy, Tried extending or anything about , the response was so sorry .

could this be symbolic of more changes to come?
Old Jan 31, 2012, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA1k; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Gold; IHG Gold; AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by PBAudit

Since the SWU is not attached to any flight, I guess I could cancel the itinerary (within 24 hours) and still have the SWU extension.
They document your account....
Old Jan 31, 2012, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by 1k650
They document your account....
Does that matter? I'd like to extend mine to use for my sister's flight instead of mine because I can confirm hers now but mine would be waitlisted.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by wtigerFF
Who did you call? I've spoken with 1K and MP to no avail, even with an upcoming Feb trip
Called Mileage Plus, entered my MP 1k account, and talked to an agent (who acknowledged my 1k status). In both calls, I asked if my expiring SWU can be extended and both agents seemed to be "aware" of this. Both put me on hold to talk to their supervisor and both came back with the same answer (yes, as long as you have a February trip booked).

Since I'm on the West Coast, perhaps I'm going to a different call center. That is the only thing that pops in my mind why they are unwilling to extend your SWU. BTW, the February trip is a domestic itinerary.

I'd try calling again, citing that this has been extended to others.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.