Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Extending SWUs 2012

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2013, 6:55 am

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, Hhonors Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold
Originally Posted by hughw
Can anyone provide a data point? Mine were earned in 2011, and show on my statement as deposited on 1/12/12, with expiration on 1/31/13. The agent refused to extend saying that they had already been extended once. Perhaps they were; I don't know, but I didn't request an extension previously. I do remember something about an automatic extension to 1.31.13 instead on for a year from when earned, but I certainly never requested such an extension.

Should I give it another shot, and if so, what are the magic words?
I would give it another call. I guess mine was easy after I read this thread. (I never would have tried if I had not seen this thread, THANKS!) You need to talk to MP CS, not reservation, so be sure you are in the right department before you start asking.

When I asked for the extension, I let them know I had bought several international flight, paid the higher fare class to upgrade (I usually fly on the deepest discount Y available), applied for the upgrade and of course never got upgraded.

Mine SWU were earned in 2011 and posted in Oct 2011, with expiration on 12/31/12. I had them upgraded once to 1/31/13. When I called I told them they were still useless (I had 2 left) since I had no international travel booked yet. The CS agent said she would not extend them as they were already extended once. (I think the system would not let her).

A supervisor had to approve the extension, and even so it took her (CS) a while to figure out how to actually extend them in the system. She ended up marking them used and reentering each one, so it shows as a 2-line transaction. redeemed (1/31/13 expire) and re-deposited (1/31/14 expire).

If you applied any SWU last year and they did not clear, I would mention that again (whaaaa, It's not fair, can't you help me, Please??? )

I hope I have been as helpful to you as others have been for me.

Good luck!
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:56 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by LongingForORD
I would give it another call. I guess mine was easy after I read this thread. (I never would have tried if I had not seen this thread, THANKS!) You need to talk to MP CS, not reservation, so be sure you are in the right department before you start asking.

When I asked for the extension, I let them know I had bought several international flight, paid the higher fare class to upgrade (I usually fly on the deepest discount Y available), applied for the upgrade and of course never got upgraded.

Mine SWU were earned in 2011 and posted in Oct 2011, with expiration on 12/31/12. I had them upgraded once to 1/31/13. When I called I told them they were still useless (I had 2 left) since I had no international travel booked yet. The CS agent said she would not extend them as they were already extended once. (I think the system would not let her).

A supervisor had to approve the extension, and even so it took her (CS) a while to figure out how to actually extend them in the system. She ended up marking them used and reentering each one, so it shows as a 2-line transaction. redeemed (1/31/13 expire) and re-deposited (1/31/14 expire).

If you applied any SWU last year and they did not clear, I would mention that again (whaaaa, It's not fair, can't you help me, Please??? )

I hope I have been as helpful to you as others have been for me.

Good luck!
Ugh, this is so frustrating... it seems like it's totally hit and miss, and depends on the mood of the agent you happen to get... your situation seems to be exactly the same as mine, yet I have not managed to say the magic password or whatever...

Now the question is, do I have the patience and time to try this again...

Maybe our new UA Insider, Aaron, could shed some light here? I think that all we are asking for is for some consistency...?
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Success. 2 GPUs and 1 RPU from 1/31/13 to 1/31/14 at first asking and within 5 minutes. Very happy!
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:34 pm

Programs: DL 4MM/PM, UA 1MM/Gold, AA Paper
First attempt was with some overseas MP Agent and was no go. Second attempt was no problem to extend GPU that expired on 1/31/13 to 1/31/14.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:42 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
First attempt with res agent (I was already on with). She put me on hold and asked MP -- they said no. I said I want to speak to them directly.
MP agent said No, since this was already extended once, but I asked her to check if there was a recent policy change on this. She came back on the line very apologetic. Said she feels "so mean" when she has to tell people NO, but the agents are left in the dark.
1/31/13 to 1/31/14.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Platinum, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 *
Shot down just now by CS and supervisor. They said if they had an example of someone else they could use as precedence of not clearing a GPU, they would reconsider. I don't suppose anyone wants to conference in on a call with me, do they?!
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold MM, Hertz PC, Hyatt Globalist
Just e-mailed 1K Voice and they responded within ten minutes that my two GPU's had been extended one year.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 1:22 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Thanks for the heads up. I just called UA MP and CSR extended my 31 Jan 2013 GPU to 31 Jan 2014 without hesitation.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Platinum, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 *
Originally Posted by Shamrock 105
Just e-mailed 1K Voice and they responded within ten minutes that my two GPU's had been extended one year.
Good idea! 1K Voice just extended mine too. After repeated attempts with MP CS, it's finally done.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:54 am

Programs: MP(1K) Million Miler, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by MayorMcKnife
Good idea! 1K Voice just extended mine too. After repeated attempts with MP CS, it's finally done.
Originally Posted by Shamrock 105
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
Thanks for the heads up. I just called UA MP and CSR extended my 31 Jan 2013 GPU to 31 Jan 2014 without hesitation.
Please let me know which year your GPU's were earned and when they were posted to your MP account. 1K Voice has responded to me twice denying an extension as my GPU's were earned in 2011 but posted in 2012.

Last edited by TheCount2; Jan 29, 2013 at 10:55 am Reason: spelling
Old Jan 30, 2013, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Originally Posted by MayorMcKnife
I'm 1K but as a PMCO I've never heard of 1K Voice. Could someone explain, or if its a big secret, send me a PM with the email address? Or is it simply the contact email for the MP service center. Thanks
Old Jan 30, 2013, 1:59 pm

Talking

2crs 6 swus extended to 1/2014 after being with res agent this morning. told her i wanted to use up my gpus before my 1k status expires (hence calling 1k to reserve too) for a transpac trip. she tried to look up when gpus would expire after my question about being waitlisted and if the upgrade failed. she called mp, came back and gave me the great news!
Old Jan 30, 2013, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by hughw
I'm 1K but as a PMCO I've never heard of 1K Voice. Could someone explain, or if its a big secret, send me a PM with the email address? Or is it simply the contact email for the MP service center. Thanks
Do you have your 1K card? It's the email address on the back, listed at 1KVoice.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Do you have your 1K card? It's the email address on the back, listed at 1KVoice.
thanks, got it. never noticed before.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Very disappointing. Form response from 1K that did not even appear to understand the question (maybe after hours this goes to ICC?) and just spoke with a CSR who politely but firmly rejected the request. I could understand and accept a policy that is consistently applied across the board but not happy with an arbitrary rejection when others are extended.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.