Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2013, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
deleted
Print Wikipost

CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2011, 9:01 am
Suspended

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by joel67
I'm pretty certain that PE started at 75k miles with another intermediate level at 50k (Premier Plus?).

Originally Posted by bseller
Youi're wrong. Prem Exec ALWAYS started at 50K miles/year.
Curiosity got the better of me, so I did a bit of research. Seems that Joel67 was right on this one:

United Airlines' Premier Executive Program, for example, provides high-priority upgrades to passengers whose flight activity totals 75,000 miles a year or more on the airline, and this does not reduce their mileage totals in the frequent flier program.
From a 1990 article in the NY Times.

Interestingly, the article quotes some fellow named Randy Petersen
Old Oct 3, 2011, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by oenophilist
Curiosity got the better of me, so I did a bit of research. Seems that Joel67 was right on this one:
From a 1990 article in the NY Times.

Interestingly, the article quotes some fellow named Randy Petersen
Yes, very interesting. The article was from 1990, however, so I remain curious as to what the situation was in the middle 80s, when I WAS PremEx and also 1K - prior to it's being a formal level.

I'm not sure where to find the history on it however? Oh well.

Dave
Old Oct 3, 2011, 9:27 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriot (via SPG) Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by SFOtoORD
Clearly the decisions made here don't affect all equally. I can tell you that in my household, my spouse is thrilled and feels like she's actually getting a small token for all the time I'm away.
My wife is thrilled as well. If we ever did have a choice at 1 MM, I would want to go for the upgrades since now that I'm semi-retired, we always travel together so her status doesn't net her anything. But I'd bet my wife would prefer the status for herself...fine with me since she had to put up with my travels for so long.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am very happy

As a .935 MM and 10 year 1K, I lost my job in Nov 2009. So close yet so far from 1MM. Being unemployed there was no way I could spend my own money to get over the hump. This realignment made my day. I will now be a 1MM. All those years of loyalty have not gone to waste as I thought they would. Last year I would have been right along side the single people and crying foul but after being single for 24 years I did meet someone and got married this summer. So it can happen. My new wife does not know about this yet but I am sure she will be happy.

Yes I am disappointed in the reduction of bonus miles. Yes I am disappointed in now being lower on the upgrade list. But hey, I am thrilled that I am no longer going to be pond scum and I will get some benefit for the rest of my (the programs) life. But hey, they promised *Gold and the 50K per year level and that is what you still get. There was NEVER a promise you would have the second tier. Only Premier Executive. Which will be no more. It is now called Premier Gold, and guess what, it is STILL the 50K level and *Gold. Just what they promised. I will not get into the upgrades/spouse changes as they can change the program as they wish. And it will change again in the future. I can guarantee it.

So this benefits some, hurts other. But there has always been the disclaimer, they reserve the right to change the program whenever they want. It is their program and they can do with it what they want. And contrary to popular belief on the forum, we are not the majority. This is just a skewed slice. There are a disproportionate number of elites and MM's on this forum compared to the population as a whole. Yes, we have the right to scream but in the end it is up to UACO to decide what they want to do.

I always found it amazing how many people I sat next to did not even realize they had status or what their benefits were. They were just flying for work. So just because Flyertalk knows about things does not mean the entire population of elites knows about it.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
I beg to differ.

The three things are - fairness, discrimination and disregard for loyalty.
-
I think the new rules are very fair. I have seen no proof of discrimination as "significant other" can effectively mean just about anyone. And even if you don't use it, so what? And I feel that there are a lot of people like me who feel that UA is being very, very loyal to me. But on Flyertalk the happy people only make a post or two in these types of threads. 99% of the posts are from people who are upset. Which goes back to entitlement. You are not entitled to have your FFP remain unchanged. You are effectively entitled to purchase a ticket and travel most anywhere, with or without your significant other. And you are entitled to join Mileage Plus and earn whatever benefits they offer in that particular calendar year.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by stimpy
I think the new rules are very fair. I have seen no proof of discrimination as "significant other" can effectively mean just about anyone.
Well, UA makes it clear that only spouse and SO in the same address qualify this.

Not even your children can qualify.

I am not sure how UA will enforce this, though.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by kb1992
Well, UA makes it clear that only spouse and SO in the same address qualify this.

Not even your children can qualify.

I am not sure how UA will enforce this, though.
Exactly, that is why it is effectively anyone. You could give it to your neighbor if you wanted, as long as his UA mail comes to your home.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 11:49 am
xFF

Programs: UA lifetime 1K
Originally Posted by joel67
I'm pretty certain that PE started at 75k miles with another intermediate level at 50k (Premier Plus?).

Anyone else remember this?
I recall something like that.

Last edited by xFF; Oct 3, 2011 at 9:21 pm
Old Oct 3, 2011, 11:50 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by Fredd
No, they certainly don't affect all equally.
Neither do any changes in life. We win some, we lose some. Come to closure, and move on...or spend your life miserable
Old Oct 3, 2011, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Angry MM Bonus downgrade?

Being a United MM (Prem Exec for life), I think new bonus award miles rules are a big downgrade. Similarly, the introduction of the Premier Platinum level should be seen as a downgrade.
United uses opportunities like the merger to downgrade us all.

Old Oct 3, 2011, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy

Exactly, that is why it is effectively anyone. You could give it to your neighbor if you wanted, as long as his UA mail comes to your home.
-
If you were to do that, it would be fraud, based on the definition of spouse or significant other.
-

Originally Posted by vicmmen

Being a United MM (Prem Exec for life), I think new bonus award miles rules are a big downgrade. Similarly, the introduction of the Premier Platinum level should be seen as a downgrade.
United uses opportunities like the merger to downgrade us all.

If United were to grandfather those who made million mile status before the two plans merge, there would not be any complaints.

Or, if United allowed a choice between the former benefit (2 regional upgrades annually) or the spouse status there would be less complaining.

The way it is now, it is clear and simple discrimination no matter how much some people may not like that word - or call it bias if you prefer.
-

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 3, 2011 at 3:06 pm Reason: merge
Old Oct 3, 2011, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, MC Life Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by bseller
I am sure of myself, as I was a Prem EX 100k flyer in the years before it was an "official" level.

No, my credibility won't be shattered, as I have none anyway. I'd love to see what you have and how that plays with my recollections of the early UA program.

Thanks!
Dave
Good attitude! After finding nothing helpful on the 'net this morning, I remembered that they used to send out information on paper, which I dutifully filed away and in fact still have.

The June 1986 edition of the Mileage Plus Program Guide lists three numbered Premier levels (Levels 1, 2, and 3) requiring 25k, 30k, and 45k, respectively, "actual United miles" to achieve. Then they mention the "select Premier Executive program" for those "elite few whose travels during the year exceed the norm—more than 75,000 actual flight miles on United in one year."

By the way, this guide reminded me that awards in those days were skewed heavily towards couples. For example, 125,000 miles would buy you one first class ticket to Asia, while 150,000 miles would buy two of them on the same flights. (Both also included five nights at a Westin and a car for a week from Hertz!) I enjoyed a number of fine vacations back then, but I suppose they changed this because too many singles were complaining.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 2:23 pm

Lifetime Gold MM, next level? Program transfers errors?

Hello

I am ex Co Lifetime Million Miler and will be a Gold level I understand with the new program.

Three Questions Please:

My first question is with the new system from 2012 what is the next level I can upgrade to? If I want to get to Plat. or higher level can I still do that within one year? I just fly 75k on one calendar year?

Also I was a Plat traveler each year for a decade on CO so not sure why I am transferring over as a Gold MM to UA. Anyone heard of any errors in the rollover to UA's new program?

Also does anyone know if UA has a program like the old CO Chairman's Circle?

Thanks guys!
Ron
Old Oct 3, 2011, 2:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by Attila123

Also I was a Plat traveler each year for a decade on CO so not sure why I am transferring over as a Gold MM to UA. Anyone heard of any errors in the rollover to UA's new program?
Ron
Correct, you should really transfer over as a Silver. Feel free to call CO and ask them to downgrade you to your proper status.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA EXP 1MM, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mtimmer
My wife is thrilled as well. If we ever did have a choice at 1 MM, I would want to go for the upgrades since now that I'm semi-retired, we always travel together so her status doesn't net her anything. But I'd bet my wife would prefer the status for herself...fine with me since she had to put up with my travels for so long.
+1.
Mrs. 2cardinalalums is ecstatic. I've been a very loyal UA flier and will be even more so with this change. I should hit MM in about 2 years or so.

Not everything announced benefits us. Each person has some positive and negative impact from these, but probably, for all of us, on the whole the changes turned out a lot better than some of the rumors.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.