Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

A modest proposal for revising elite benefits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A modest proposal for revising elite benefits

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2011, 7:47 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFOTurtle
Oh, the horror of buying a ticket just hours before flying and not being able to select the seat you want because others have already paid for and pre-selected their seats days or weeks in advance!! I don't know how any 1K/GS can even function with such a calamity. Oh, yes, I do, why don't you just buy a F or C seat, or book another flight if flying E+ is so important?
Unforunately UACO likes to fill up the cabin with upgraders. I do fly a fair bit of paid F travel. I would fly more if UACO would expel upgraders from F back down to Y to make room for me. I wonder if you are a low tier elite who books months in advance on the cheapest lesiure fares and does mileage runs to squeak to 25k, costing the company far more than you are worth. Otherwise hard to understand why you don't comprehend why more important travelers should be treated better.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 7:52 pm

Programs: United Gold
What makes one traveler more important than another?
Old Sep 8, 2011, 7:57 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by love_to_travel
What makes one traveler more important than another?
One makes more money for the company than the other.

Surely you don't suggest that a general member who flies once a decade is equally important to a Global Services member who generates 6 figures of revenue year in and year out.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UAGuy2
Unforunately UACO likes to fill up the cabin with upgraders. I do fly a fair bit of paid F travel. I would fly more if UACO would expel upgraders from F back down to Y to make room for me. I wonder if you are a low tier elite who books months in advance on the cheapest lesiure fares and does mileage runs to squeak to 25k, costing the company far more than you are worth. Otherwise hard to understand why you don't comprehend why more important travelers should be treated better.
So assuming you're 1K or GS (not sure, not in your profile), when you're not flying paid F, you'll be okay then with lower/non elites on higher fares than you getting upgraded while you sit in Y? By your logic, on those specific flights, you're not an important traveler, thus you don't deserve the benefits.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 8:02 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
So assuming you're 1K or GS (not sure, not in your profile), when you're not flying paid F, you'll be okay then with lower/non elites on higher fares than you getting upgraded while you sit in Y? By your logic, on those specific flights, you're not an important traveler, thus you don't deserve the benefits.
Nothing in my post suggests that importance is measured off a single flight. So you are incorrect about my logic.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
I wonder if you are a low tier elite who books months in advance on the cheapest lesiure fares and does mileage runs to squeak to 25k, costing the company far more than you are worth. Otherwise hard to understand why you don't comprehend why more important travelers should be treated better.
You seem to be forgetting that the 2Ps "squeak[ing] to 25k" aren't flying that often. For instance, I'm NYC-based (but 1P+/PLT for now), but suppose my flying patterns were such that I was only going to fly 25k on UA this year. As a subset of trips I've taken, that's three trips to California and one trip to say, Hawaii; assuming sane choices in routes (i.e., nonstop for JFK/EWR-SFO/LAX, a layover somewhere like ORD/DEN/LAX/SFO for NYC-HNL/OGG/LIH), we're talking about a total of about 10 segments. UA/CO fly tens of thousands (on the lowish side of five figures) of J/F seats a day domestically or a few million seats a year. That 2P squeaking by is a proverbial drop in the bucket.

Worse for your case is that the 2P might also be a DYKWHI buying Y/B fares as well. Maybe that Hawaii trip was on a cheap fare, but that's precisely why airlines created loyalty programs in the first place. Sure, it's going to qualify that 2P for another year (to get UDU'd a few times without many other perks), but in terms of helping UA by driving marginal spend, it works exactly as intended.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 8:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As one who generally flies in paid F, I would much prefer to see the soft product improved and the cost of that dealt with by charging some reasonable fee for an UG. Perhaps at the gate, UG's could be provided for a fee of $100-300 depending on distance and perhaps that fee could be waived for GS (presuming that the new GS will have a greater spend requirement than it does now).
Old Sep 8, 2011, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
As one who generally flies in paid F, I would much prefer to see the soft product improved and the cost of that dealt with by charging some reasonable fee for an UG. Perhaps at the gate, UG's could be provided for a fee of $100-300 depending on distance and perhaps that fee could be waived for GS (presuming that the new GS will have a greater spend requirement than it does now).
For that you need to create a premium product people would be willing to consistently buy and this isn't happening because of a) labor laws and unions and b) market demand for cheap and tolerable rather than higher end but expensive product
Old Sep 8, 2011, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by rankourabu

Can you imagine having to spend $4000 (pre-tax, pre-yq) on United metal just to be 1P (Star Gold) out of your own pocket.
If I am spending $4000 for travel, it sure as hell isnt gonna be on United metal overseas.
+1

UA don't have a good or inconsistent inflight product anyway (744 still have no PTV in Y, and the investment plan did not have any plans to add PTV either, only something thru handheld device)

People who say they will jump ship probably won't. The grass won't be any greener within 6-12 months over at FL or US and AA is hemoraging cash daily. So, the choice becomes fly Air Video Conference or stick with what you've got.
Don't be so sure about that, UA make the most money on int'l routes. When int'l flyer jumpship then I will see what can they do about that ? When it is int'l flying, you have those who offer a much much better product comparing the domestic market every airlines offering the same thing. Many int'l carriers may or may not have E+, but they do allow even the lowest status to get bulkhead or exit row for free.

There are not much left if UA decide to take away these benefits for lower elites, I certainly wouldn't fly UA because of UA's inflight product in all 3 classes or customer service. I can drop the loyalty and enjoy the miles ahead products and services from other int'l carriers.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is nothing more infuriating than being a top tier elite booking a very expensive flight at the last moment or chaning flights at the last moment and getting E-. ..
Not sure about your definition of "last moment" but most waitlists go to the gate IME so you should be right at the top as a 1K on last minute fare.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
In light of the upcoming but unknown changes to the program, I thought I would advocate a modest proposal for realiging benefits in a fashion that would help differentiate between th elite tiers.

I would propose the following Plat/1K and up -- eligible for UDU, pre-select E+.

Gold/ Premier Executive -- not elgigible for UDU, can select E+ 48 hours
before flight, or earlier by paying $10 co-pay.

Silver / Premier - not eligible for UDU, no pre-selection of E+, but reduced fee to select E+ at check in (50% of fee for general member). Baggage fees half of those for general members.
It seems clear that you don't see how these changes would destroy the lower lever tier. When I was a 2P, and e500s were still around, I was upgraded pretty often. When UDU rolled in, I was 1/15 for upgrades. I got that, and worked to hit 1P and then 1K, but E+ was really appreciated.

As a 1K, I don't want 2P decimated. What's the point of being loyal to the airline if they screw you? No UDU and not getting the chance to select E+ and time of booking is a bad idea. For those that don't check a bag, and there are many of us, why would a 2P even stay with UA??

Originally Posted by cordelli
Maybe the 1K's can all get gold crowns at checkin so that they can be recognized throughout the airport and not have to deal with the lower levels at all.

I've never fully understood how it's a benefit to anybody to remove benefits from elite levels.
Would this work?

Old Sep 8, 2011, 9:02 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Seems reasonable to me. I would prefer the following upgrade structure -- General member 2000, 2P - 1000, 1P - 500, 1K - 250. No upgrades on international routes.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Seems reasonable to me. I would prefer the following upgrade structure -- General member 2000, 2P - 1000, 1P - 500, 1K - 250. No upgrades on international routes.
$2000 for a GM to upgrade? What kind of route? SFO-LAX? SFO-DEN?
Old Sep 8, 2011, 9:11 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
$2000 for a GM to upgrade? What kind of route? SFO-LAX? SFO-DEN?
No, on CRJ200 flights, charge 2000 for GMs to sit at the front so they can quickly run out to escape the barbie jet.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by jsmirand
Thinking further, I think UACO should introduce a new status 1MM EQM annual qualification and call it Platinum GS, unsurping plain GS's, and if a Platinum GS should show at the gate just as the doors are about to close, then all boarded run of the mill GS/1K + paying F PAX should be immediately removed from F cabin and shoved in E+ so that the Platinum GS can fly solo and enjoy complete tranquility in the private F cabin with 3 dedicated flight attendants focused on every need. *G can be moved to E-, and *S/GM can be handed greyhound tickets and told to get lost.

This should work well, think of the loyalty UACO will buy from the Platinum GS group.
Now THAT's a Swiftian "Modest Proposal".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.