Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Would this work? (buying CO EQM to bump UA status)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2011, 11:06 am
Original Poster

first post but long time lurker (without logging in)... apologize if question is redundant --

I'm currently UA 2P (no status on CO -- probably should have them 'combined' to become CO Silver). I have two long haul trips coming up next month but the first one will put me ~350 miles short of making it to 1P...

I'm thinking of booking a short CO flight (say, of 500 miles), buy the elite maximizer, then cancel the CO flight. From what I read, it seems once I have the two accounts 'combined', CO/UA's computer would automatically add the EQMs together when it does its ~weekly sweep -- i.e., I'll become 1P once the first long haul trip is completed.

would this work? appreciate your feedback.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by wwasser
first post but long time lurker (without logging in)... apologize if question is redundant --

I'm currently UA 2P (no status on CO -- probably should have them 'combined' to become CO Silver). I have two long haul trips coming up next month but the first one will put me ~350 miles short of making it to 1P...

I'm thinking of booking a short CO flight (say, of 500 miles), buy the elite maximizer, then cancel the CO flight. From what I read, it seems once I have the two accounts 'combined', CO/UA's computer would automatically add the EQMs together when it does its ~weekly sweep -- i.e., I'll become 1P once the first long haul trip is completed.

would this work? appreciate your feedback.
Yes.

Not sure the sweep is done weekly.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 11:15 am

If you purchase the EQMs and once you finish your flight posts, then the system will add them up to 1P (should take 7-10 days after the flight posts).

There should be no issues.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the fast feedbacks.

there is only a 8-hr gap between the two long hauls. the first long haul probably won't show up by the time the seond one starts -- I'm okay with it (travelling with a 1k so I can access the lounge already). I was eyeing the 100% bonus for 1P... (their computers look reciprocally, don't they?)
Old Aug 18, 2011, 12:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Welcome to FlyerTalk!!

I know that with CO status the benefits apply starting the day AFTER the qualifying event. Depending on how those 8 hours between flights fall on the calendar that might not be enough time for the benefit to apply. I'm not sure how UA distinguishes or how that could affect things.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 12:16 pm
formerly known as felinaar

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
I'm a little confused by the responses. Are you guys saying that one could buy Elite Maximizer EQM, they would post immediately, you could then cancel and refund the flight, and keep the Elite Maximizer EQM? So you could rinse and repeat, getting all the EQM you need by paying a high price but avoiding travel entirely?
Old Aug 18, 2011, 12:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by felinaar
I'm a little confused by the responses. Are you guys saying that one could buy Elite Maximizer EQM, they would post immediately, you could then cancel and refund the flight, and keep the Elite Maximizer EQM? So you could rinse and repeat, getting all the EQM you need by paying a high price but avoiding travel entirely?
Yes. :-:
Old Aug 18, 2011, 12:22 pm

It is possible -- just as possible to obtain Platinum status by just using FlexEQMs if you used your credit card enough (although those rules are changing to limit up to the 75k level instead of the 100k level before).
Old Aug 18, 2011, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

@felinaar: yes (if I'm not mistaken) it works that way. The Points Guy had a blog piece on it about a year ago (google is a wonderful tool). The cost is pretty high though (7- 45c/mile, depending on time of the year).

@sbm12: hopefully UA is not the same way (the two trips will be same day)...
Old Aug 18, 2011, 1:38 pm

Programs: QR platinum
Originally Posted by wwasser
@sbm12: hopefully UA is not the same way (the two trips will be same day)...
Last year I was transitioning from 2P to 1P during the first leg of AAA-BBB-CCC. BBB-CCC posted with the 1P 100% RDM bonus and the connection was only a few hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.