Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Months of Miles

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2011, 3:57 am

WELL, I guess this promotion is finally over now, in spite of the fact that the MOM website still says "keep earning through December 15." Let the 8-12 week countdown to bonus miles begin!
Old Dec 16, 2011, 6:35 am
RETIRED ACCOUNT

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by nova08
Although I think we are unsure about the minimum dining spend. There was nothing in the original T&C's that stated a minimum dining spend although people reported that the Help Desk said it was $1. When the new T&C's came out so did the $10 min. It should be interesting whether UA counts the sub $10 dining spend prior to the new T&C's or if you will have to fight for them. My guess is for the later.
Originally Posted by dJason
I believe it was clarified that purchase through 9/9 would be grandfathered in as "unlimited" and post-9/9 would be limited to 25k miles.
Originally Posted by Vaitrucci
What date did the T&C change and cap the promo at 25k miles? Is there any hope of getting the sub-$10 dining transactions that happened before that date?

I have roughly 12-14 of those, so I'm just wanting to know for the sake of my inevitable e-mail packet that I'll have to send off.
Originally Posted by nova08
I'm in the same boat. I have about 10 sub $10 dining transactions that were made before they rewrote all of the T&C's.

I have an email from 9/9 that has the new T&C's so it may have been around the time that the new rules went into place.
To anyone in this situation: do not assume that UA will count this automatically.

I emailed 1P immediately after MoM started and received written confirmation that "there is no minimum amount for dining transactions to count toward the promotion." When the T&Cs were changed (on September 9th, the specific details of the change are discussed in length earlier in this thread), I had a gut feeling that they would try to screw us on sub-$10 dining transactions, so I emailed again (attaching the written confirmation I had already received) and didn't hear back at all. After four weeks I sent ANOTHER email (again attaching the original written confirmation) asking for reconfirmation that the transactions completed before the change to the T&Cs would count. A few days later I received an email back saying "we're sorry but those will not count, but the good news is that we have extended the promotion so you'll have more time to complete qualifying transactions." I flew off the handle a little. Aside from terrible customer service, this is outright fraud. I responded, demanding that they count the transactions that I had completed (with written confirmation) before the T&C bait-and-switch and accused them of fraud. Finally, several days later, a 1P supervisor emailed me back and agreed that transactions made before the change would count.

They will try to weasel out of honoring their own promotion, but do not let them get away with this! They will NOT give them to you unless you fight them on the point. Shame shame shame on UA. I hope a class action comes out of this and I hope it costs them $MILLIONS. This behavior is despicable.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
I could be mistaken but I think the UA bonus part comes in 8-10 weeks from now. Give it 12.

Today I checked my UA and things Petra said should be there by now are not there. I will of course check this eve once more. I rigorous count will be in order if anything changes. Nearly 2 weeks ago now, I said I would give her til the 16th and I have said I would wait til Monday the 19th. She had claimed all my missing HD and REI miles would post with dates of 9/9 or earlier and that they would be in my UA by now.

She now has only so many business hours to make magic happen and for me to see all my UA miles post IN my UA account, not just my MP shopping account.

I will say that UA has done some strange things... They claim they have records of things I have done like some late September Staples transactions (non MoM for me) but I do not see them on my end. They wont share a screen shot of them but they tell me the miles are there. Weird. I will of course call them to see if anything else is there that I cannot see. It is hard to go by how many miles one has in one's account seeing as how other activity is being done with it (flights, transfers, CC activity, etc)

Because of things like this, I think we all need to just keep detailed records of what we did, when, and how things went. Even weeks from now as we await the fate of whatever UA itself will do (will it somehow not count dining or shopping transactions? Will the minus thing screw THEM up? Will some computer thing we cannot understand nor never should need to somehow mess up the number of purchases we claim to have made to get our UA bonuses?) We can only know in I think 8-10 weeks from now. And IF these things happen, we need to keep Cartera, for one, on the hook because they started the problem.

I have on occasion, referenced this thread and 'other fellow UA MoM participants (not often by name, mind you) many times when asking Petra or her co-workers to get my miles into where they need to be. I knew they started watching this thread from the beginning. I also wanted them to see what we were saying and I hoped it would help them escalate since it proves there is a huge problem. They seem to ignore that though. We know this. they email or post here or there for me or you or someone but with little or no consistency. I try to be nice but inside I am still angry about it. I am sure others here feel the same way. I have been made to feel as though I should appreciate and bow down to them when they email about miles they are finally posting, when in fact they should have by now offered us all freakin' jobs over there for everything we have revealed that could cost them money in the future!

But it is funny to me how Carterians like Petra and others ignore the fact we all chat together (and so we obviously share concerns about the same problems we are having with things not posting, etc) and yet those same people will use this same forum as a means to glean information and build their own 'case' as to why they feel they have the right to delay us!

For example, I got the CS director upset with me cuz I posted his contact info in here. He then tried to tell me it's all cuz my shopping patterns were not normal. He then said he did not know if certain things would post when we all read the terms. He stopped talking to me and ignored all my suggestions and requests--one of which involved a cool way to IMPROVE how Cartera does its mall business for the benefit of both them and us, and another was how I felt I deserved some sort of mileage compensation for all the extra work I had to put into this problem that I do not get paid for like he does reading my letters and emails. I told him that had he and his company done a better job, no one would have needed to contact him except to thank him for the promo! Instead it was his company--not the way in which we shopped--that failed.

We all know that Cartera deals with some of the country's biggest retailers and airlines. It SHOULD be set up to handle this sh*t. It is not. Clearly!

The existence of ALL of our combined erred experiences, efforts and pains to recoup, other airline mall 'mistakes' and continued delays in all miles being sent over when it should have been LONG ago has forced me to take more drastic action. I have waited long enough and they should have a way to push things through regardless. Therefore, I plan to do this:

If I do not see all the miles in my account by Wednesday, Dec 21, I am planning to file.

Issues we have had COULD impact the outcome of the UA bonus if I don't get it on record the exact amount of transactions I know I made. While UA may still be willing to wait for miles to trickle in with transaction dates that meet their promo deadlines, I want to make sure anything Cartera did does not hurt my original plan with this promo. TO buy X and earn Y.

Merry effin Xmass!

MM
Old Dec 16, 2011, 11:19 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards
Finally it's all over but the crying. Even though I had the piddly 4/500 offer I should get 10,500 miles with 68 dines and 16 shopping orders. Of course only 11 of the 16 have posted so it's a question if those mising 5 will count.

Overall I'd say it was a not well thought out promotion with a lot of splitting dines into ten dollar increments which wound up costing the restaurant more in fees than a simple single transaction would.

I wonder if anyone who had the 4/500 offer managed to get the full 25,000 limit?
Old Dec 16, 2011, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA 1P
About 10k mysterious miles posted to my account today.. Not sure if it's my missing HD miles posting, but there's nothing new showing up in my account activity. Of course I was expecting 11k, so something is wrong. I'll give them another week for things to post properly before I start sending emails again..
Old Dec 16, 2011, 1:04 pm

Well I'll be!

I just had some bonus miles show up on the MileagePlus website for the October promotion:
"Make a single purchase of $125 or more with any MPS online retailers from 10/3-11/11 earn 1500 miles"
Not posted to United yet but one thing to take off of the 'missing miles' list.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Gettin' kinda sick of the excuses....

jasonvr,

I have been continually working with my team to get your account properly credited with these miles. I know for a fact that the Kmart purchases have been sent for processing this week manually because they did not post on their own from the merchant and should be credited in the next week or so. There was a problem with the posting of your Sears transactions which I posted manually, and I am having a meeting with the processing team today to get to the bottom of that so we can get those credited as soon as possible as well.

As for Home Depot, as you know, there was a miscommunication and disconnect because of Kolandra leaving and this delayed the process of crediting the Home Depot purchases. However, I did expedite this and was assured that these were being credited to your account as well. I will be sure these are posted as soon as possible.

Please understand that researching and entering these orders for credit is a very manual process and with such a high volume of missing orders, it takes us some time to resolve these. I do apologize for the delay and for the inconvenience and assure you that we will be able to take care of this situation if you would just give it some more time.

I greatly appreciate your patience and understanding in this matter. Thank you.
Why is it that everything they do has some sort of "problem", "miscommunication", or has to be done manually?
Old Dec 16, 2011, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by dJason
Well I'll be!

I just had some bonus miles show up on the MileagePlus website for the October promotion:
"Make a single purchase of $125 or more with any MPS online retailers from 10/3-11/11 earn 1500 miles"
Not posted to United yet but one thing to take off of the 'missing miles' list.
Crap... just looked at my transactions for that time period. I had one on 10/4 for $124.09.

Nothing new on the Months of Miles front, but the "new mall" does seem somewhat better in getting new purchases posted. Ordered something from nflshop.com, and it posted the day it shipped (it was backordered, didn't expect it to go through before shipping), got 1098 miles for my bestbuy.com TV purchase (with in-store pickup) in only two days.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 9:33 pm

Programs: AmexPlat,SPG,CitiAA,One pass,
What a crappy experience they don't even respond to e-mails what type of company is this over there.........

The amount of time doing their WORK........
Old Dec 16, 2011, 11:35 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by Armin Tamzarian
I wonder if anyone who had the 4/500 offer managed to get the full 25,000 limit?
I probably did do enough transactions (50 or more), but of course my legitimate HD transactions (at least ($30 to $50 each) were not tracked, so who knows what I will actually get...

Last edited by SuperFlyBoy; Dec 16, 2011 at 11:45 pm
Old Dec 17, 2011, 12:39 am

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
I probably did do enough transactions (50 or more), but of course my legitimate HD transactions (at least ($30 to $50 each) were not tracked, so who knows what I will actually get...
You'd need 200 transactions to max out under the 4/500 offer
Old Dec 17, 2011, 12:41 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by jasonvr
You'd need 200 transactions to max out under the 4/500 offer
My bad - forgot to multiply the 4x!

However, I probably came close to that amount - still haven't collated everything - is their a limit up to when we can claim these for corrections?
Old Dec 18, 2011, 8:53 am
akp

Programs: Hilton Diamond
My Home Depot posted!

At the end of Months of Miles (which for me, was 9/9), I had 125 transactions that posted accurately plus a whole bunch of mess. One of the messes was that only 1 of 15 Home Depot transactions posted. Also, 0 of 10 Best Buy posted.

I have screen shots of both of these with timestamp (thanks Jason) but have dallied in sending them the documentation because I'm trying to avoid the frustration and anger which feel inevitable.

Just this am I finally steeled my resolve, signed onto my MP account, and see that my Home Depot transactions (magically) posted, and correctly! Thanks to all of you who have .....ed at Cartera about Home Depot transactions, as I think somehow you took care of mine for me.

I also had a few Sam's Club activation issues which were resolved.

I now have 10 missing Best Buy transactions and a bunch of messed up transactions from WalMart and Drugstore.com (where they split > $10 transactions into smaller subtransactions).

I also have 9 transactions that posted on 9/10 but I actually made on 9/9. I suspect I will have to fight tooth and nail for these. It isn't worth my time for the 4500 miles, but on principle I will fight long and hard for these.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by jasonvr
Gettin' kinda sick of the excuses....

Why is it that everything they do has some sort of "problem", "miscommunication", or has to be done manually?
Because excuses can end up being your unexpected winfall...

Because problems can cost them money and give it to us....

Because in 48 hrs if my final HD and REI miles and all missing minutia fail once again to show up in full into my UA account I will be taking this to the next level...

Because after that, when I take them to Small Claims court, I am going to win the max $ amount that can be provided in MA ($7,000) in SC court after I show the court detailed notes of 5 inches thick of paperwork, screenshots, emails, examples of issues on the malls, etc that clearly and completely illustrate how inept and scam-ridden this company really actually amazingly is and it will be EASY for me to continuously show how what you say is exactly true!!

I am not gloating or touting something hollow... Oh no. I too have had it! We all have. What I am going to do is put forth evidence that they should have and could have posted all missing miles long ago, and/or should have had means in place to do this when a known 'problem' exists if only to satisfy the expectations of the customer and then handle the issue internally.

I intend to also show that since they met no deadline and the UA MoM promo date has now passed (ended Dec 15) it is in the seasoned belief of many all over the internet (not just in FT) that this could send whatever we counted on for UA earnings into a tailspin (no pun intended). Case and point: If things do not run smoothly with such promos, the end results are a mess and the airline doing the final tally will run into its own snags that will cost us more pain and time but it wont be as much their fault as that of their vendor.

Since the errors on Cartera's end will invariably cause errors for United's proper and full counting, we may not just have to wait til Spring to find out, but we may not see anything come through by then either. And this is making us have to chase the tails for months on end.

Thus, what I intended to buy in Aug and Sept of 2011, to do, to earn is all out of whack somewhere into mid to late 2012. It wont necessarily be a fault of United in this case (except for their choice of vendors), rather, a fault on Cartera's part to deliver the goods on time and in full as promised by THEIR own ads, contracts and marketing efforts that we as customers bought into and believed when we hit the PURCHASE button.

We know United made its horrid blunders here as well, but that wont be my focus here. Because from what I gather now, they are ready to do their counting based on what gets posted. My hope had always been to merely give them a smooth list of things to count. That has not happened.

Due to this I plan to sue for an amount of miles that equals the amount of time and effort I put in to account for what it could have 'cost' someone who was working at this very project and getting paid for it. I have yet to fully crunch the numbers but I can say that what I do know already is that Cartera's own law firm has stated in writing to parties I know that they value miles at 3 cents per mile.

Therefore I have figured out I should ask for 233,300 miles or $6,999 based on these rough calculations:

100 000 x (US$ 0.03) = $3,000 U.S. dollars...
x2 = $6,000
+
33 300 x (US$ 0.03) = $999 U.S. dollars
= $6,999

I could probably show that I put at LEAST 200 valid hours of work and my own time and effort, or 5 weeks @ 40hrs per week) solid into dealing with this issue, and I figured that at the very moderate rate of $35/hr before taxes (no benefits, perks, coffee room, free bagel Fridays, corporate lunches, etc like the Cartera staff have) if I were working as a consultant with a company like Cartera, that comes out about right:

$7,000 / 200 = $35

Again, there's a lot of crunching to do, and I have not yet figured out how best to value my time on this (I mean hey, maybe I should be $100+/hr but who knows)

In the end, any company or customer looking at Cartera will see that they have in fact been involved with the courts in this way. I will also share as best I can all details of my experience with any and every party that can utilize it to educate others on how to avoid this stuff.

That's why everything is a 'problem' for them. Cuz it's really beginning to seem that all along, they have wanted me to get that $7 grand! I mean, what else could it possibly be?

MM
Old Dec 19, 2011, 1:33 am

M.M. REF:

Because excuses can end up being your unexpected winfall...

Because problems can cost them money and give it to us....

Because in 48 hrs if my final HD and REI miles and all missing minutia fail once again to show up in full into my UA account I will be taking this to the next level...

Because after that, when I take them to Small Claims court, I am going to win the max $ amount that can be provided in MA ($7,000) in SC court after I show the court detailed notes of 5 inches thick of paperwork, screenshots, emails, examples of issues on the malls, etc that clearly and completely illustrate how inept and scam-ridden this company really actually amazingly is and it will be EASY for me to continuously show how what you say is exactly true!!

If you go to small claims court , get from the court a book that instructs lay people on the what n how etc.--- also I suggest you bring some witnesses from M.O.M from ur area-- lets try to give MM SOME HELP IN ANYWAY WE CAN --possible problem could be when u win enforcing judgment but that is a while away

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.