Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Months of Miles

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2011, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by m3m3m3
+1.. I called the regular MP line and the rep said our account is registered for the unlimited promo (MPM671 - mailer).
I find it awfully hard to believe that this will become true. Stink'in United. I was at 70K miles... I am going to try to cancel a bunch of orders, though it is money I will spend anyway, just such a pain to rip out 15 gift cards instead of 1 SPG Amex...

I just logged in through my kids acct (who I registered along with mine) & it totally said the new Dec date, the 10$ min is very clear, & the max of 25K. This one is dead. Halt all purchases (so long as you've made it to 25K already). Still 25K is pretty sweet for not doing much...

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 8, 2011 at 11:29 am Reason: merge
Old Sep 7, 2011, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by pogg
I find it awfully hard to believe that this will become true. Stink'in United. I was at 70K miles... I am going to try to cancel a bunch of orders, though it is money I will spend anyway, just such a pain to rip out 15 gift cards instead of 1 SPG Amex...
I still don't see how they can go back and tell us we cannot keep the miles we had already earned under the old program. I'm not a lawyer, but to entice people to participate under one set of guidelines, then change them to other guidelines after the fact does not seem to parallel contract law. What if you bought a car with a stated 100,000 mile warranty and then they later changed it to 5k? Or what if you participated in a normal UA Shopping transaction (not this one) and then to be told you were earning miles on the front end, then they decided not to pay you all the miles? How can that work?
Old Sep 7, 2011, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Doppy
As a regular "trick it" poster, I find it somewhat ironic that you would be complaining about mileage runners and "gamers" diluting your 1K benefits. Aren't mileage runners using tricked fares even worse for dilution, since they earn EQMs at such a low cost, thus allowing them to achieve higher levels of elite status for less, while providing little revenue for the airline (i.e. not subsidizing elite benefits as much as more profitable customers)?
What are you talking about? I'm a 1K, a mileage runner from time to time, and a gamer when it suits me. I'm complaining about $misek basically destroying everything we live for.

What time did the T&C's change today? I registered this morning, but didn't pay attention to the fine print.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 8, 2011 at 11:30 am Reason: merge
Old Sep 7, 2011, 7:23 pm

Programs: Co-branded credit card status moocher
Originally Posted by pitcarin
I still don't see how they can go back and tell us we cannot keep the miles we had already earned under the old program. I'm not a lawyer, but to entice people to participate under one set of guidelines, then change them to other guidelines after the fact does not seem to parallel contract law. What if you bought a car with a stated 100,000 mile warranty and then they later changed it to 5k? Or what if you participated in a normal UA Shopping transaction (not this one) and then to be told you were earning miles on the front end, then they decided not to pay you all the miles? How can that work?
+1. I've been wondering the same thing. I don't see how simply throwing in a "subject to change" can get anyone out of anything, in a legal sense.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 7:31 pm

The confirmation email you receive in 2 days should state what promo you received. The promo code will be in fine print at the very bottom of the email.
If you get something other than MPM681 or MPM671 that means you get the new promo.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 7:32 pm

just noticed the final sams GC that was still $15 has now been changed to $25 like all the rest of them.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by pitcarin
just noticed the final sams GC that was still $15 has now been changed to $25 like all the rest of them.
wow. Knew THAT would happen! hahaha

all these vendors are running about wondering whats going on but also being smart business people about it.

As for the promo itself...

I have had personal experience with big promos that try to change mid promo. My last success ended up with me working with the AG office of the state in question and I/we won it, but man it was like pulling teeth all the way til the bitter end!

Why companies choose to do this to people is beyond me. I find the only solution is to, well, do it back.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 7:42 pm

Think about this, all things being equal, Nov. 19th rolls around, we're all sitting on 500,000 miles in our kitty planning our new years 1st class round the world trip, when all of a sudden, an email out the blue telling us that the program is now capped @ 25,000 miles and extended to Dec 2011 & that your 475,000+ miles are now void, You think for one minute that's going to fly, ( no punt intended).

This is what i suspect, everybody that registered prior to the new T&C is still under the old Promo, but all new registrants get the latest and greatest Promo.

I really for the life of me can't see how on earth MP can come along almost a month after rolling out the deal all of a sudden, cap it to 25k and expect that to be just fine with everyone.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by bangkokiscool
The confirmation email you receive in 2 days should state what promo you received. The promo code will be in fine print at the very bottom of the email.
If you get something other than MPM681 or MPM671 that means you get the new promo.
Mine says MPM681. But when I click on the T&C, it takes me to the new promo with a 25k cap. So having the old code of MPM681 does not necessarily assure unlimited miles.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by skiwindham
Mine says MPM681. But when I click on the T&C, it takes me to the new promo with a 25k cap. So having the old code of MPM681 does not necessarily assure unlimited miles.
The website has simply been updated with the new promo. It's the website that redirects from www.united.com/monthsofmiles. There's nothing to indicate that MPM681 is capped. According to MP's reps, MPM681/671 is still unlimited in their computers. But you're right, there is no such thing as necessary assurance with this little promotion!!!
Old Sep 7, 2011, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JenGal
I also believe the same goes for gift cards. MP Shopping doesn't prohibit gc's earning miles, but many retailers do. MP Shopping just gets the amount of transaction - before taxes in this case - not what the transaction was. Any retailer could change to "GCs do not earn miles" any time they wanted. But I'm not sure how MP Shopping itself could not grant miles to gift cards, unless they knew exactly what each purchase is.
True - I should have said that I think the retailers in question would be the ones to change their terms, after noticing a huge number of gift card purchases, followed thereafter by a huge number of cash refunds of said gift cards. Apparently at the very least they're upping the minimum purchase price.

Originally Posted by BryanIAH
I called the 1K line and they confirmed that I am registered for MPM681 - an unlimited promo. The promo with limits is new.
I am also registered for that promo, but when I click on the terms and conditions link in the confirmation e-mail I got a few weeks ago (which has that promo code right next to it in parentheses) it gives me the 25k info with the changed terms and conditions. At best, I think it's a gray area, but more likely I think they're cutting everyone over to the 25k limit. I suppose we'll find out for sure sometime between now and 10 weeks after mid-December.

Originally Posted by hobo13
What are you talking about? I'm a 1K, a mileage runner from time to time, and a gamer when it suits me. I'm complaining about $misek basically destroying everything we live for.
Sorry if I misinterpreted, sounded like you were lumping mileage runners, gamers and Smisek together as problems.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA
Pissed, but at least I don't have to worry about stopping by the same diner everyday for 80 days straight buying the same crappy lemonade. Guess 25K will do.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by bandit2011

This is what i suspect, everybody that registered prior to the new T&C is still under the old Promo, but all new registrants get the latest and greatest Promo.
yes, but when will they tell us if that is so?
Old Sep 7, 2011, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, BAEC Silver, Hyatt-Globalist, Hilton-gold, SPG-gold
my first hd gift cards shipped today but the processing of new orders has been really slow tonight. I expect I may have some problems.

Anyone had any problems with hd gift cards?
Old Sep 7, 2011, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by BryanIAH
They didn't mention the new promo code (if one exists). The original 2 transactions/1K RDM code is MPM681 and the original 3 transactions/1K RDM code is MPM671.
No, I was on the phone for quite a while today and am targeted for the MPM671 promo - which is 2 transactions = 1,000 bonus miles. I got the mailer.

Maybe MPM671 is the old mailer promo and MPM681 is the old e-mail promo?

Either way, if they agree to honor the original promo, I would be very surprised.

The next question is, if they honor the original promo for unlimited miles - wouldn't that also mean they have to honor the original promo that dining does not have a minimum?

It is clear with the changes that there is now a 25k max AND ONLY NOW there is a minimum for dining.

If they honor the old promo straight up, that must mean there is no limit to miles earned AND no minimum on dining. Or perhaps they can just say you can earn unlimited miles but there is now a $10 minimum going forward.

All I know, is if I had done enough transactions at this point to go over 25k miles - I would be raising holy hell and this one would be an instance where I would threaten a lawsuit. Unfortunately I only got the mailer a few days ago and am only 10 transactions in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.