Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

CR1s can now be used on CO flights 8 Aug 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CR1s can now be used on CO flights 8 Aug 2011

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2011, 9:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
...If you apply a UA CR1 (through the CO integration desk) to a CO flight that is waitlisted (ie where RN=0) and it eventually fails to clear, the upgrade instrument will be deposited into your CO account. ...
make sense since the first step of the process is move the CR1 to your CO account and then its is applied to the flight.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 12:19 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
I found out tonight that the exact wording in whatever the CS agent has in front of them with "Cross itineraries" is quite confusing. The agent deemed it to say that the upgrade could not be done-but I'm guessing it means on itineraries flying both CO and UA metal.

Previous posters have indicated that the process took a long time. For me, I was happy to know it took around 10 minutes. The OP agent, after speaking with the integration desk at my request, took down my MP#--then, I noticed that the RPU was removed from United, added to Continental, and subsequently applied to my CO transcon reservation.

Worked smoothly
Old Oct 16, 2011, 8:20 am

Programs: MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Just experienced some "free" CR-1s coming back to my MP account after being used on a CO itinerary...and not talking like immediate or next day, but more like a week after.

In the past, I've been about 50-50 on the system picking up that I had an CR-1 or SWU that I already used in my account...we'll see what happens, though it doesn't personally matter for me all that much as I rarely fly domestically in the States...
Old Oct 16, 2011, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Anyone have experience with CR-1s coming back to a CO account when the upgrade doesn't clear?

I transferred 2 CR-1s from my MP account to my OP account for a recent flight. Neither of the UGs cleared but the OP account still shows them as used. The flights were about a week ago.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
Anyone have experience with CR-1s coming back to a CO account when the upgrade doesn't clear?

I transferred 2 CR-1s from my MP account to my OP account for a recent flight. Neither of the UGs cleared but the OP account still shows them as used. The flights were about a week ago.
Yes - you have to call to get them returned. CO's systems do not like to return them automatically like you're used to on UA.

There's an existing thread about this issue somewhere on here...
Old Oct 18, 2011, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy Titanium
Have read through the thread and tried to find something analagous, but since I'm a first-timer @ the 'UA CR1 on mixed metal itin', and this itinerary is way out in the future - thought I'd ask those who may have done it:

- About to book a one way DEN-SEA-ANC, 1st leg UA metal, 2nd leg CO metal
- Both show NF/RN = 0 at the moment
- The flights are in September 2012
- All my CR1's are with UA currently

So - main question:

- Should I book it with CO or UA (price is the same)
- Given current policy seems to be can only confirm positive NF/RN space, or waitlist one leg or the other...and the SEA-ANC leg is slightly longer, I'd lean for the CO leg
- Also under the assumption that it shouldn't be as complicated by September 2012 to do something like this so maybe it doesn't really matter at all this far in advance?
Old Oct 18, 2011, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by cedahm
Have read through the thread and tried to find something analagous, but since I'm a first-timer @ the 'UA CR1 on mixed metal itin', and this itinerary is way out in the future - thought I'd ask those who may have done it:

- About to book a one way DEN-SEA-ANC, 1st leg UA metal, 2nd leg CO metal
- Both show NF/RN = 0 at the moment
- The flights are in September 2012
- All my CR1's are with UA currently

So - main question:

- Should I book it with CO or UA (price is the same)
- Given current policy seems to be can only confirm positive NF/RN space, or waitlist one leg or the other...and the SEA-ANC leg is slightly longer, I'd lean for the CO leg
- Also under the assumption that it shouldn't be as complicated by September 2012 to do something like this so maybe it doesn't really matter at all this far in advance?
Agreed....by the time September rolls around, it should be seamless. But for now, assuming everything else is equal (ie. current loads of your flights etc), I would recommend booking through CO and applying the CR1 to the CO flight. If RN opens up, you will snag it. If on the other hand, NF opens up on the UA flight, you can ask CO to move the CR1 to the UA flight. There does not seem to be the same restriction of moving from CO to UA that there is if one tried to move from UA to CO. Moving from UA (as I understand it) requires that the same booking class be available that the flight was originally booked in.

Last edited by LAXOGG; Oct 18, 2011 at 4:06 pm Reason: Clarification
Old Oct 18, 2011, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Plat, Star G, HH Diamond, Hertz 5*
Spent the better part of this evening trying to use CR1s on CO flights one from Hawaii and the other to the Caribbean. The Hawaii one took three agent and about an hour, with the standard line of you can't do this blah blah blah, I just kept calling back until I got a CS rep who called the integration team. Make sure you ask for the intergration team, they will be able to get it done for you. The first two agents told me it couldn't be done because of business first and/ or I would need 2 CR1s, not true!

I'm still on hold for the Caribbean reservation, luckily I have lots of vino ^^
Old Oct 18, 2011, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by honmani2
Just got off the phone with the 1K desk regarding using a CR-1 to upgrade a HNL-LAX segment that is CO metal. She talked with the integration desk and was told that all HNL flights on CO metal can only be upgraded with a SWU and must be in W fare bucket or higher.

*ouch*

Wish I knew that before I booked the flight.
I have been reading all the posts in regards to this and still cant figure out what the deal is
One thing I dont get if the SFO/LAX-HNL flights are upgradable using miles with NO Copay ( I did a dummy booking) then why cant we use CR-1s
Old Oct 18, 2011, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cbrown5294
I have been reading all the posts in regards to this and still cant figure out what the deal is
One thing I dont get if the SFO/LAX-HNL flights are upgradable using miles with NO Copay ( I did a dummy booking) then why cant we use CR-1s
you can - AS LONG as it's not marketed as BF (so CO 762/764 metal)
Old Oct 18, 2011, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Plat, Star G, HH Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Even if it is marked BF they can do it. See my post from earlier today. Takes a ton of time but can be done.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 10:43 pm

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
2012 program info states
All flights between the U.S. mainland and Hawaii will be eligible for Regional Premier Upgrades and Global Premier Upgrades with no economy fare restrictions.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 12:34 am

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
2012 program info states
But what about the rest of 2011?
Old Oct 19, 2011, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by cbrown5294
But what about the rest of 2011?
the 2011 CO OP rules do not permit regionals on Hawaii BF flights
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...ights-hnl.html

but there is this posting
Originally Posted by SFOisHome
Even if it is marked BF they can do it. See my post from earlier today. Takes a ton of time but can be done.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Looking to book EWR-LAX-EWR on BF equipped 752 flights. How can I make sure the flight is not marketed as BF in order to use UA CR1s?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.