Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The "check-in" about face

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2011, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by pinworm
It's exactly this kind of thing which taught me to deal on the phone with the elite cs phone service rather than speak to a GA or Ticket Agent. When I cannot do that, I go find a lounge dragon that can usually help out.

Besides, it's faster.
I've also had mostly good luck and service when I have to pick up the chicken phone.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 12:58 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
You said you told him twice you were elite and he didn't care. Your service had nothing to do with you being an elite or not an elite, you received lousy service because you had a lousy agent.

You only got decent service once you had another agent, and probably the only reason he started treating you better was because he knew she was probably going to chew his head off.

He was sucking up to you because he knew you knew he should not have treated you that way, once another employee became involved and treated you the way you should have been treated.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 1:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by neo_781
If true, why is that such a bad thing? Why not take care of your better customers? I would be livid if I got stuck overnight coming back from a business trip when someone who bought the cheapest ticket for their once a year flight got taken care of first.
Taking care of your best customers is a noble goal. Treating everyone else like crap is the problem. Yes, elites should receive priority for standby lists and confirmation on the next available flight and such. But that doesn't mean that you have to make the other customers feel worthless.

There is what I see as a rather strange attitude in the FT UA community that seems to suggest that getting good service can only truly happen if others are getting much worse service than you are. That without a significant difference in the level of service there is nothing special about elite status. I just don't get it, but apparently it is just me because lots of other folks here rally behind that flag every day.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pinworm
It's exactly this kind of thing which taught me to deal on the phone with the elite cs phone service rather than speak to a GA or Ticket Agent. When I cannot do that, I go find a lounge dragon that can usually help out.

Besides, it's faster.
+1. Whenever I'm faced with IRROPS I will always try calling reservations first. Since I called the 1P line and entered my MP number, they already know I'm elite. Plus, as pinworm said, it's generally faster.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by sbm12
Taking care of your best customers is a noble goal. Treating everyone else like crap is the problem. Yes, elites should receive priority for standby lists and confirmation on the next available flight and such. But that doesn't mean that you have to make the other customers feel worthless.
I don't think that they should make others feel worthless. But I also think there is more that can be done than just prioritizing standby lists.

Things like hotel rooms, forcing people on flights, being more liberal with OAL reroutes if necessary, and so on. It's really more of a mindset than it is a procedure. UA does a good job with that (as does DL, IME).

There is what I see as a rather strange attitude in the FT UA community that seems to suggest that getting good service can only truly happen if others are getting much worse service than you are. That without a significant difference in the level of service there is nothing special about elite status. I just don't get it, but apparently it is just me because lots of other folks here rally behind that flag every day.

I think UA FTers may value their status not because of how others are treated, but because it has paid off in situations. When employees have status on their radar, they'll be more likely to bend the rule or spend the extra initiative to make the phone call to force you over on a plane to make sure you get home that night, or whatever the circumstance may be.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Star Gold
Originally Posted by Bonehead
Your experience corroborates what I have seen mentioned before on these boards: If you're elite (especially an upper-level elite) on UA they will take care of you, but woe be it to you should you lack status. May well explain UA's high (low?) placing in the "most hated" rankings. Heck, I have no complaints so far with UA, but I have that most coveted 1K status...
Yep. This is perhaps why I "tried to like United" but ended up being always annoyed with them when I was a teenager and things like that in the distant past. Now I think they are pretty good, but I always am one to see how others are being treated too.

Originally Posted by ldsant
Also, I have never said "I am 1K, PremEx. . ." or anything else when I am. It's just not necessary imo
Did you read my post? I think I'll ignore the rest.

Originally Posted by Bonehead
"Most" was used figuratively. By the way, suggesting that the OP fly WN based on his reaction to the rude, condescending agent strikes me as patronizing.
Yes. It is funny how many FT members are pretty normal but then there are some weird "lecture" responses like that... it almost reminds me of those that say "Don't like the TSA policies? Then don't fly."

By the way, I think my original post makes me sound angrier than I was. I was annoyed by the "about-face" more than anything else, and was quite pleased with the eventual outcome of the situation.

Originally Posted by edcho
Not too surprised. I had to go to EWR early to fix the UA portion of my flight (SFO-HNL) with a seating issue.

I was more or less dumbfounded by the change in attitude and thought it was a onetime thing. Apparently not.
If the elite line has people in it waiting checking in, often I will use the regular line if I don't need service and it is quicker... I sometimes have had to ask for a priority tag if I think it will help me -- they look down, then pull out the priority tag and smile.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I'm now used to the strange look I get when I admit to flying UA - the look which asks why in the world would you do that?

I often find I go one way with a friend but return on different days, or vice-versa. What I hear of what happens when I'm not accompanying my friends makes me shudder. When I fill out ualsurvey and I'm asked whether I would recommend UA to anyone else, the answer has to be NO.

I have no issue with the way I'm treated but I simply cannot understand why they have to treat GM customers so badly - sometimes it almost seems as if GM customers are considered to be in the way of the smooth working of the day.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 1:29 pm

As a 1K I feel UA treats me like a company should treat a customer, but nothing special really. IMO, UA treats non-status customers like dirt. If I need to approach a random UA ground employee, I nearly always make my status known. They often won't even listen to the question if I don't, much less attempt to help.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cordelli
You said you told him twice you were elite and he didn't care. Your service had nothing to do with you being an elite or not an elite, you received lousy service because you had a lousy agent.

You only got decent service once you had another agent, and probably the only reason he started treating you better was because he knew she was probably going to chew his head off.

He was sucking up to you because he knew you knew he should not have treated you that way, once another employee became involved and treated you the way you should have been treated.
Slightly possible, but that is not my read of the situation. His reaction was more like "oh, crap, I might have insulted somebody we'll have to work with again" and I just rose in 'status' in his mind. This other agent was much younger, and the dynamic was not one that she would chew him out. He also didn't have to help her out, he could have just ignored the whole situation if he wanted to spite me. I'm fairly confident he just didn't hear me say "I'm Premier Exec", and didn't note that it was on my BP, and the FF# was somehow dropped from the new standby pass because he didn't even know I was a GM.

You may be right though, perhaps he was trying to specifically target me for some odd reason and did this deliberately, and tried to make up for it. He did kind of act startled, like my employees when I walk in the back room and I can tell they were playing minesweeper (or chatting on FT?)

Originally Posted by coolbeans202
+1. Whenever I'm faced with IRROPS I will always try calling reservations first. Since I called the 1P line and entered my MP number, they already know I'm elite. Plus, as pinworm said, it's generally faster.
I'll try that in the future, thanks. Might be a better strategy.

Originally Posted by channa
I don't think that they should make others feel worthless.
+1, this was the main point of the complaint. Making me feel worthless and being actively discouraging was rude, unnecessary, and didn't help United elites at all. In fact, it offended me, a United "elite."

Moreover, it should be common sense that a well dressed traveler on business (and IMO everybody!) should be treated with a good deal of respect. If I switch home airport due to moving for a job, etc., I may rapidly become elite on SkyTeam. It is best not to be an ..., especially if it does not cost you anything.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyingbrick
As a 1K I feel UA treats me like a company should treat a customer, but nothing special really. IMO, UA treats non-status customers like dirt. If I need to approach a random UA ground employee, I nearly always make my status known. They often won't even listen to the question if I don't, much less attempt to help.
I guess I had not realized this but I see that others have had similar experiences.

I'd venture to guess that this might be a cultural thing that is rubbed onto employees... see that other thread on the kitschy red carpet and the pseudo-worship of the "best customers." This is all fine, but if I were in management I would hammer into employees that young professional = next generation elite member and potential years of loyalty. Families and the elderly should similarly be respected, professionalism doesn't cost anything.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 2:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cardiomd
I always thought some of the stories here were ridiculous about people waving their 1k cards, etc. But now I see why...

A couple weeks ago I was trying to get rebooked for IRROPS and the gate agent was being a total a-hole. I was polite, as always, but he kept on saying (at 4PM in a major hub with 4 more flights) stuff like "there is NO WAY you are getting out tonight" and a general unfriendly attitude, definitely bordering on hostility. I mentioned TWICE that I was premier executive, and it was on my boarding pass (also in computer???) I didn't mention it a third time, because, well, I assumed everybody else trying to get on the flight might be 1k in a hub to major airport segment.

The guy prints me some standby tickets and I was about to go to the gate where the next flight was... I was really, really dissatisfied with his attitude and service, and I also noticed my FF number was not anywhere. He had taken the next customer, but there was a lady standing next to him, who had not taken another customer yet.

I leaned over and pulled out my PremEx card for the FF number, and said "oh, can you also ensure my FF number is here."

She looks at it and says, "Oh, you are Premier?? You really should tell us that because it really helps in these kinds of situations."

*(*#(@*!?!??? I told him TWICE! I don't mumble.

She starts doing something and when the original guy was done with his next customer, he also helps out.

"Magically" I get on the next flight, in E+, and have confirmed window seat, and I get to my destination ok. Suddenly the original guy is all polite now too, calling me "sir" and smiling a bit.

Although this works out for me, this really leaves a bad taste in my mouth. "Polite" to elite customers and disparaging / rude to normal customers?? I look young, but I'm not that young... dressed in a jacket and tie... reservations made by American Express Business travel... very weird.

Even after I said several times I'm elite, and just assumed that they would look at the PREMIER on the BP or check the FF#?

These guys need a re-visit to customer service 101. This is not a culture I appreciate, even if I benefit from it.
Sounds like the UA way to me. The main perk of being elite on UA is not being victimized like the general members are by UA's staff.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 2:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by flyingbrick
Do you believe it is a problem that it takes such action on your part to get them to listen?

I don't think that they should make others feel worthless. But I also think there is more that can be done than just prioritizing standby lists.
Agreed. I think that all the examples you offer fall into my "and such" catch-all as I wasn't really up for listing out every single possible benefit.

I think UA FTers may value their status not because of how others are treated, but because it has paid off in situations. When employees have status on their radar, they'll be more likely to bend the rule or spend the extra initiative to make the phone call to force you over on a plane to make sure you get home that night, or whatever the circumstance may be.
Is it a good thing that the employees only focus on accomplishing these feats of magic - getting a customer home that night, for example - if that customer is elite? I do not think so. The elite should have priority for such treatment, but not be the only to receive it.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 2:46 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Reminds me of a recent check-in experience where I wanted to get on standby (or do SDC) for an earlier flight (which had been delayed ~1.5 hours from its original departure). The agent just kept repeating, "Yours is still on time; you'll be fine."

And I kept responding, "Every flight to SFO has gone out at least 1 hour late today [thanks, SFO ATC ], and if mine ends up being delayed that much, I'll misconnect in SFO." I just couldn't figure out why the guy didn't want to put me on standby, and even tried pointing out that if I misconnected, the remaining SFO-IAD flights were all oversold.

Finally, he said, "Well, that will be $50, if you insist."

I realized then he'd paid no attention to my reservation or BPs and that I was 1K, and assumed because my flight wasn't delayed (yet), I wouldn't want to spend $$ on it.

"I'm 1K," I interrupted, and he said, "Oh," and finally put me on standby.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Can you really show me someone in the FlyerTalk United Airlines community who believes that infrequent flyers should receive poor service from UA?

Personally, I think that it's awesome that I can choose to fly on an airline which rewards its most frequent flyers with an awesome level of service. I felt that the kind of service I got as a 1K on UA in 2010 was "much better" than I would get when flying as a general member on DL, AS, VX, US, F9, WN, FL, B6, CO, or UA, to name a few I've experienced frequently.

For me, upgrades on domestic and international flights, ultra-flexible award travel, and fast and easy access to phone agents for help in irrops and lightning-fast ticketing, are all "much better" than I've gotten as a general member -- really amazing perks.

Does that mean that others are getting "much worse" service? By symmetry, it kind of has to. Am I OK with that on my preferred carrier? Only if the baseline level is good enough. Sometimes I like to travel with folks I know, or to book trips for them. It wouldn't make sense to be loyal to a carrier who treats my friends and family poorly!

More often than not, when I've been able to help out friends in a scrape, it's not because I have any privileged access as a 1K, but because I've learned useful tips and tricks on FlyerTalk about whom to ask and what to ask for. It does sometimes seem like the carrier requires an owner's manual (using ITA yourself to research unusual irrops options; checking loads; OLCI at T-24 for tricky upgrades). But I'm OK with that because (1) at least there are rules that people try to consistently follow and I can understand what they're doing; and (2) even someone who's completely ignorant of the rules but empathetic and proactive will usually do OK.

I think this kind of attitude is pretty common and is why you'll see so many sympathetic, helpful, and productive responses on FlyerTalk when people report things going wrong with UA travel.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Is it a good thing that the employees only focus on accomplishing these feats of magic - getting a customer home that night, for example - if that customer is elite? I do not think so. The elite should have priority for such treatment, but not be the only to receive it.

Yes. Again, this is built into the systems and culture, and many times an airline is faced with a situation of limited inventory or availability, or a situation that costs them money to handle.

If everything ORD-SFO is zeroed out, and there are a ton of misconnects, you can't realistically reaccommodate everyone on an already full flight.

But you can force the remaining flights over for a subset of your customers. It sucks for the non-Elite who won't get home tonight (or maybe they can if they go on standby and luck out), but it's not realistic to be able to accommodate all customers in the same manner in a limited space situation.

Same with hotels -- in a massive weather breakdown, there are only so many hotel rooms. How do you prioritize that? Metering them out by status is a perfect way to manage the limited resource.

Unfortunately with air travel these days you're going to run into this limited availability situation every now and then. Nobody is running at 60% load factors where reaccommodation is easy. Flights are at 85%, often more on peak days and times, and rationing the best solutions to customers should be the norm. Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on which side you're on), this can have a major impact to the outcome of the situation.

There's a big difference than an ordinary situation and a situation where discretion and moving mountains can be useful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.