Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Mileage Plus: Loyalty program for the new United in 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mileage Plus: Loyalty program for the new United in 2012

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2011, 3:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by seacarl
...In the computer biz we use big endian vs. little endian to describe how bytes are ordered within longer data structures (ints, words, etc.) .....
The lack of significant of the choice and parallels to Gulliver's Travels was not lost on many in that debate. Believe Kidder in "The Soul of a New Machine" alluded to that.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 3:44 pm

You just never know what you are going to learn on Flyertalk

In the computer biz we use big endian vs. little endian to describe how bytes are ordered within longer data structures (ints, words, etc.) There are camps and manufacturers that order them small to big and v.v. It is a royal PITA to move system software back and forth. I never knew the reference to Gulliver's Travels which must have preceded our byte ordering issues.
wow... you just brought up terrible memories of my Programming Meth II class.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by LA_Traveler
Actually, the computer endian-ness (is that a word?) reference also came from Gulliver's travels. Google the term and you'll see the history of it
Yes, I was trying to articulate that I just learned the origin of a term that I have used at work for a couple of decades.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 4:27 pm
In memoriam

You just never know what you are going to learn on Flyertalk

In the computer biz we use big endian vs. little endian to describe how bytes are ordered within longer data structures (ints, words, etc.) There are camps and manufacturers that order them small to big and v.v. It is a royal PITA to move system software back and forth. I never knew the reference to Gulliver's Travels which must have preceded our byte ordering issues.
And I - a person who knows more about literature than I do about computers - didn't know about the computer issues until I "googled" the phrase to get an appropriate quote and the first 100 hits or so were all about data structures .

Gulliver's Travels was written in 1726 - so I reckon it came first .

And - to get back to the original notion that inspired my remarks. If I'm on a plane - I just think it's polite to be served food when the person or people sitting next to me are served (unless they don't want to be disturbed). Whether you start at the front or the back or the middle. Can't imagine how silly it would be be if a couple was going on a vacation - maybe with reward tickets or upgrades - and they got served at different times because one spouse had "status" and the other didn't.

And - in F or BF - how long does it take to serve everyone? And if you are traveling in any class - you can - if you are lucky enough to be on a flight that serves food - pre-order food if you have dietary preferences or restrictions.

The funniest story I ever heard regarding food service is I knew a couple of Jewish lawyers in MIA who traveled MIA to Guam on CO for something business related. They ordered Kosher meals. A couple of other passengers on the way to Guam were vegetarian Buddhists. And the FAs got the meals mixed up. You can imagine the looks on the passengers' faces when they saw the meals they were served . But the FAs did - in the end - get the meals straightened out. Robyn
Old Jul 11, 2011, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by robyng
And - to get back to the original notion that inspired my remarks. If I'm on a plane - I just think it's polite to be served food when the person or people sitting next to me are served (unless they don't want to be disturbed). Whether you start at the front or the back or the middle. Can't imagine how silly it would be be if a couple was going on a vacation - maybe with reward tickets or upgrades - and they got served at different times because one spouse had "status" and the other didn't.

And - in F or BF - how long does it take to serve everyone? And if you are traveling in any class - you can - if you are lucky enough to be on a flight that serves food - pre-order food if you have dietary preferences or restrictions.
On the one hand, as someone reasonably flexible about my food, I don't really care how they do it, as long as they adopt a consistent approach and don't have rogue FAs who want to improve on it or impose their own system.

Generally on UA they come through and take your orders, sometimes while boarding or taxiiing. They're generally discreet and ask for your first and second choices (or if there are only 2, then for your first choice) and if you are with someone else, generally ask you both at the same time.

Meals are still served together, so it is not that they serve all the salmon first, and then the rest get the chicken or pasta. They just do the allocation in the galley and maybe it is a bit mysterious who got the first choice and who didn't.

If done right, the process also lets the FA see who isn't eating or who doesn't care, and can maximize the # of people who are happy with their choice. Ultimately that's what it should be about - making the most number happy.

But look if they want to go strictly front to back or vv then just tell us and we'll deal with it. It's not like today's airplane food is something that is going to make or break my day.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by SFOSpiff
I didn't say anyone did. I was just outlining the logic path: OnePass is definitely going away and accounts will be opened in Mileage Plus to replace them. Since there's no sense in renumbering existing MP accounts, that means our current MP numbers will remain as-is moving forward.

Do people actively look to start arguments?
Exactly, and no one ever said they would renumber existing MP accounts. No reason to. The only question has been whether OP accounts would be renumbered.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Exactly, and no one ever said they would renumber existing MP accounts. No reason to. The only question has been whether OP accounts would be renumbered.
There is uncertainty in this as certain people (even ua1flyer 10MM mentioned) that CO CS called him up to merge his accounts.

Originally Posted by ua1flyer
Just got a call tonight from a Continental CS agent trying to merge my accounts that all the new MP numbers will be their Continental nubers and the MP numbers will no longer be in the program.....Why am I always the last to know.
I don't have complete faith in rumors coming from CO CS (or any CS) but there are a few other reports of similar wording. We actually probably won't know until they announce the program though as most of it is just speculation.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Yu're assuming a lot here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.