Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"You're going to like where we land." UA's New Ad Campaign

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"You're going to like where we land." UA's New Ad Campaign

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2011, 2:36 am
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
I work right near there, and I've seen the ad several times on my way home...I thought "another boring CO ad." But I didn't realize the bad double meaning until I saw it on this thread! (And yet, after hearing of it, yes, it's awful.)

Originally Posted by defiance96
I walk through ground zero every day on my commute, and never even made the connection some are making here. It isn't like the ads are on the site, they are on the subway entrances, and the photo in this thread is not typically how the ad is going to be viewed. A bit of an overreaction here. The guy in the story who didn't really notice it is probably typical. Right now in NYC we are being bombarded with in-car subway campaigns for Delta and JetBlue, and now these are flooding the subway entrances. They all blend together.
Oh! You too!

Originally Posted by goalie
Maybe I missed your point earlier but that's exactly what I'm saying. It's the Ad agency which is at fault and not UA. Yes, UA (or any corporation for that matter) has to trust/have faith in their ad agency and it's the ad agency that needs to "think" about where they place/promote the ads for their client (and yes, in this situation, MTA does need to fall on the sword )
Yes. Either the ad agency or the MTA is at fault (or both, since they had different responsibilities). One of the two should have noticed this, though.

Originally Posted by Converse34
It is UNITED's responsibility to know where their ads are placed. It is their company and their brand at stake.
No. The second sentence is true, but does not make the first sentence true.

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 23, 2011 at 9:01 am Reason: merge
Old May 23, 2011, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
I was shocked. It is UNITED's responsibility to know where their ads are placed. It is their company and their brand at stake.
That's how advertising SHOULD work. How hard would it have been for the agency to have a google map with pins in the areas where ads are placed and sent over for review? The new marketing analyst would have made the connection. AND especially this is UNITED's now home market, you can't even blame it on OOH.

I work for a travel company and I am not in marketing. But even I know what campaigns are going on and placements in which cities (bus shelters in this city, side of a building here, etc).
Laziness is NOT an excuse. It does not work like this at all companies.
To sum up my response, not even close. Think about it: In a 2 X 2 block grid in Manhattan, CO/UA has well over 100 ads. Now factor ALL of Manhattan. What about the rest of NYC? Forgetting suburbs for a moment, as well as all non-hub cities, add in LA, San Fran, Houston, Chicago, Cleveland, Denver, Washington... You really think Jeff Smisek can sit up in his office, with a Google map as you suggested, putting pins in each place he wants an ad?! It's his job to have a marketing team, who in turn decide that. They come up with the ads, and then decide, we want X amounts in NYC, sprinkled around all of Manhattan OR concentrated in specific key areas of Brooklyn (examples,) and then look for an ad agency, who does that. Corporate does not decide which phone booth gets an ad and which doesn't.

Originally Posted by UALsandiego
I see. I just see all the AA "non-stop from JFK" ads on cabs and some billboards. Of course UA has managed to spam Times Square
I see the AA ads on cabs as well. But I wouldn't say UA managed to span up Times Square. That's been spammed up for quite some time
Old Jun 7, 2011, 12:09 am

Programs: HHonors Silver, UA (no status, but lots of miles!)
Originally Posted by joshwex90
To sum up my response, not even close. Think about it: In a 2 X 2 block grid in Manhattan, CO/UA has well over 100 ads. Now factor ALL of Manhattan. What about the rest of NYC? Forgetting suburbs for a moment, as well as all non-hub cities, add in LA, San Fran, Houston, Chicago, Cleveland, Denver, Washington... You really think Jeff Smisek can sit up in his office, with a Google map as you suggested, putting pins in each place he wants an ad?! It's his job to have a marketing team, who in turn decide that. They come up with the ads, and then decide, we want X amounts in NYC, sprinkled around all of Manhattan OR concentrated in specific key areas of Brooklyn (examples,) and then look for an ad agency, who does that. Corporate does not decide which phone booth gets an ad and which doesn't.
I'm not saying United has to know every posting in every city. But they can certainly examine more closely which areas are being targeted. I mean isn't that the point already, to ensure you hit your key demographic? United has hundreds of people it marketing, if just one person had asked a few simple questions on placement, they could have saved themselves a ton of embarrassment.

Just because the advertising industry has never traditionally worked this way in the past, doesn't mean it can't change. The "this is way we have always done it" line is what keeps airline industry from truly evolving in terms of technology, service, etc.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not saying United has to know every posting in every city. But they can certainly examine more closely which areas are being targeted. I mean isn't that the point already, to ensure you hit your key demographic? United has hundreds of people it marketing, if just one person had asked a few simple questions on placement, they could have saved themselves a ton of embarrassment.

Just because the advertising industry has never traditionally worked this way in the past, doesn't mean it can't change. The "this is way we have always done it" line is what keeps airline industry from truly evolving in terms of technology, service, etc.
I see from your handle that you aren't from the NYC area. Barring specifically the WTC and immediate vicinity, downtown Manhattan is a VERY KEY DEMOGRAPHIC. There's a reason the WTC was/is where it is. That's Wall Street! Perhaps they screwed up by one block, but that is definitely a place you want to have ads. Even if the wording was different, I'm sure less people would have an issue.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 6:55 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by Noodle
i agree with last post - while I do not always give UA a pass - on this issue I agree lets just let it go.
I agree.

The placement of the ad was unfortunate. Their error is regrettable and UA regrets it. It has been taken down.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 2:10 pm

WTH

This is beyond tasteless and ill planned. I bet the families will be deeply saddened and shocked to see such a stupid ad. UA wants to loose business. I mean its one thing to buy ads throughout NYC but its another thing to have such an ad. You could put this ad up in a million other places but next to the WTC? Hmm bad planning on the advertiser's part.

I could see this ad placed on NYC public transportation, in hotels and at the airports but at the WTC? I would hope they remove this ad ASAP. Terrible placement and a terrible slogan.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 2:36 pm

I live in downtown Manhattan, there are ads *everywhere.* I don't disagree this one could have been better placed, but it's also a bit of a stretch (IMHO) to imply that it was *that* horrendous of an error. Personally I didn't even make the connection til seeing this thread.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by danielonn
This is beyond tasteless and ill planned. I bet the families will be deeply saddened and shocked to see such a stupid ad. UA wants to loose business. I mean its one thing to buy ads throughout NYC but its another thing to have such an ad. You could put this ad up in a million other places but next to the WTC? Hmm bad planning on the advertiser's part.

I could see this ad placed on NYC public transportation, in hotels and at the airports but at the WTC? I would hope they remove this ad ASAP. Terrible placement and a terrible slogan.
You're a bit late on this one. Ad was removed a few weeks ago.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 3:03 am

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
Cool New UA Ad

There been an ad playing on CBS in NYC recently that shows a UA plane being repainted with rhapsody in blue playing during it. It's pretty cool. From what I can glean from it, you're going to like where we land is the new slogan, which isn't bad but seems like you're waisting the name united in the process, IMO. It's also interesting b/c the voice guy in the ad talks about e+ and flat beds but not xx destinations, more flights, etc.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 3:45 am

Programs: UA 1K / CO PLT
I've seen this AD on TV as well, I live in san francisco proper. Also, at lots of Muni stops, you see many UNITED advertisements, lots of them. I feel weird seeing them out on the street like this... before the merger, Chase was the one that bombarded the city with 3x RDM on UA purchase select visa ads.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by dparkinson
There been an ad playing on CBS in NYC recently that shows a UA plane being repainted with rhapsody in blue playing during it. It's pretty cool. From what I can glean from it, you're going to like where we land is the new slogan, which isn't bad but seems like you're waisting the name united in the process, IMO. It's also interesting b/c the voice guy in the ad talks about e+ and flat beds but not xx destinations, more flights, etc.

The one I saw said something had the same rhapsody and plane painting and said about merging not being as exciting as what's e-merging.

It looked pretty cheap, IMO.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by channa
The one I saw said something had the same rhapsody and plane painting and said about merging not being as exciting as what's e-merging.

It looked pretty cheap, IMO.
This looks like a new slogan for them. I've started seeing this pop up all over EWR, and by CO areas at FLL when I was there yesterday.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 9:05 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
It is FUTURE tense. It doesn't say "You liked where we landed." or even "You're going to like where we landed." If there is any confusion as to the meaning of the advert, please ask your children for their english books and reread the part about "tense". Once you do this, the advertisement will have no meaning except for the intended meaning to those that understand the chapter on tense.

For it to have a negative meaning, it would have had to be written in future perfect tense. It wasn't, therefore there should be no confusion to those people that are educated (and by the way, I wasn't educated very well in grammar/spelling... More of a math/science/logic guy.)
Old Jun 17, 2011, 9:13 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I completely agree..but it should be another Ad.

Originally Posted by defiance96
I walk through ground zero every day on my commute, and never even made the connection some are making here. It isn't like the ads are on the site, they are on the subway entrances, and the photo in this thread is not typically how the ad is going to be viewed. A bit of an overreaction here. The guy in the story who didn't really notice it is probably typical. Right now in NYC we are being bombarded with in-car subway campaigns for Delta and JetBlue, and now these are flooding the subway entrances. They all blend together.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fastair
It is FUTURE tense. It doesn't say "You liked where we landed." or even "You're going to like where we landed." If there is any confusion as to the meaning of the advert, please ask your children for their english books and reread the part about "tense". Once you do this, the advertisement will have no meaning except for the intended meaning to those that understand the chapter on tense.

For it to have a negative meaning, it would have had to be written in future perfect tense. It wasn't, therefore there should be no confusion to those people that are educated (and by the way, I wasn't educated very well in grammar/spelling... More of a math/science/logic guy.)
"You will have liked where we landed"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.