Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recip SWU CR1 coming this summer

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2011, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Per update email sent to OnePass members today.

"with some limitations" but nothing more specified
Old May 18, 2011, 1:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Here is the text:
A note about upgrades.

We understand how important upgrades are to you. Currently, elite members of both programs enjoy unlimited upgrades on domestic flights on both Continental and United. This summer, you'll be able to use your Regional and System-wide Upgrades on United flights (with some limitations). And once we have completed our merger, you will enjoy your full upgrade benefits. Rest assured, we are working to make your upgrade experience consistent across our worldwide network, as quickly as possible.
Not too much of a surprise here. I'm guessing W fares and higher and only once the new certs are issued, likely around June 15.
Old May 18, 2011, 1:27 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Silver, UA 1K, DL Silver
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Per update email sent to OnePass members today.

"with some limitations" but nothing more specified
Exact verbage from UA email:

"A note about upgrades.

We understand how important upgrades are to you. Currently, elite members of both programs enjoy unlimited upgrades on domestic flights on both United and Continental. This summer, you'll be able to use your Regional and Systemwide upgrades on Continental flights (with a few limitations). And once we have completed our merger, you will enjoy your upgrade benefits across our worldwide network. Rest assured, we are working to make your upgrade experience consistent across our worldwide network, as quickly as possible."
Old May 18, 2011, 1:31 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Sounds like the winners/losers of this will vary greatly by destination. Since I haven't and don't plan to fly anywhere CO flies internationally, not overly excited about the prospect of CO SWUs now taking away some of the precious NC space on UA flights.
Old May 18, 2011, 1:40 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
The announcement says:

"with a few limitations"
and
"once we have completed our merger, you will enjoy your upgrade benefits across our worldwide network"

Here's what I wonder: will the 'few limitations' be certain destinations rather than/in addition to the W fare restriction?
Old May 18, 2011, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum 1MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Peatisback
The announcement says:

"with a few limitations"
and
"once we have completed our merger, you will enjoy your upgrade benefits across our worldwide network"

Here's what I wonder: will the 'few limitations' be certain destinations rather than/in addition to the W fare restriction?
That's my question, too. What CO routes are such revenue earners that I'll be estopped from using my Systemwides on them? Likewise, does this mean I'll no longer be able to use my Systemwides on routes like ORD-HKG or SFO-SYD? Ugh.
Old May 18, 2011, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Ambassador/Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by HNLescapee
That's my question, too. What CO routes are such revenue earners that I'll be estopped from using my Systemwides on them? Likewise, does this mean I'll no longer be able to use my Systemwides on routes like ORD-HKG or SFO-SYD? Ugh.
I don't think it has anything to do with Destination Restrictions. I personally think the CO SWUs earned in 2010 will be excluded and not be able to be used on United. That's what I think the "limitations" mean.
Old May 18, 2011, 1:50 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
I can't imagine that they would change the SWU policy on any existing routes (including SFO-SYD and ORD-HKG). Sounds like it'd be more of a restriction on certain CO routes/destinations
Old May 18, 2011, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum 1MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Cuse44
I don't think it has anything to do with Destination Restrictions. I personally think the CO SWUs earned in 2010 will be excluded and not be able to be used on United. That's what I think the "limitations" mean.
But as a UA 1K, my e-mail had the same language? I can't imagine UA 1Ks/GSes would suddenly get to use CO metal while the reverse isn't true. Likewise, why open either side of this up to only Systemwides earned in 2011?
Old May 18, 2011, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
It'll be interesting to see what this does to the value of CO SWU's on Coupon Connection. Right now, it seems that CO folks want naming rights to your first born in exchange for one of their UGs. I realize that 2010 vintage CO SWU's will still work on all fares, but at least those won't be the ONLY way to upgrade a CO flight.

May tulip-mania soon come to an end....
Old May 18, 2011, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by HNLescapee
But as a UA 1K, my e-mail had the same language? I can't imagine UA 1Ks/GSes would suddenly get to use CO metal while the reverse isn't true. Likewise, why open either side of this up to only Systemwides earned in 2011?
My guess is that the legacy UA SWUs and CR1s will become valid on CO metal just like they are on UA metal. So figure the W fare minimums on the SWUs and the geographic restrictions on the CR1s.

The CO SWUs from 2010 have no fare restrictions so they'll likely either not be valid at all on UA metal or only for W+ fares; I'm betting not at all. The 2011 CO SWUs will be valid on UA metal, too, effectively the same as a UA SWU at that point. The CO CR1s arguably have a broader geographic range covered (i.e. everything where EUA applies) and it is possible that the UA ones will adopt the same policy there; time will tell.

There are limitations and it is better to indicate from the beginning that such will exist. No need to say "coming soon" and then surprise everyone with limits later. Sure, it would be better if all the details were announced right now but they aren't. Soon enough.
Old May 18, 2011, 2:39 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
...."with some limitations" but nothing more specified
may be related to CR1s and BF?
Old May 18, 2011, 3:08 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
may be related to CR1s and BF?
I suspect (or maybe just hope) this is the case. Now, I can use my CR1s to Hawaii - when I really want to confirm a seat, as I know this is a UDU-friendly route. I would hope that wouldn't change, but I could see excluding their use on the BF Hawaii service from EWR and IAH.
Old May 18, 2011, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA/CO-GS/PPlat,AA-Gold,SPG-Plat,Hilton-Diamond,Marriott-Plat,Hertz-Pres_Circe
I don't like how the CR1's are bieng handled.

When I merged accounts and got to choose between CO & UA bieng the main account I chose CO since that is what I fly most often and wanted CR1's that I could use. On UA I would have earned more CR1's though and already could have my SWUs (I have ~120,000 EQM this year).

Now it sounds like the same time I get CO CR1's the UA ones will also work on CO, but I earn at a lower rate (8 less over the course of the year).

I am all for allowing them to be used across the COmbined fleet, but earning rates should be the same.
Old May 18, 2011, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by Red_Rob
On UA I would have earned more CR1's though and already could have my SWUs (I have ~120,000 EQM this year).

Now it sounds like the same time I get CO CR1's the UA ones will also work on CO, but I earn at a lower rate (8 less over the course of the year).

Unless you were a 1K last year also your CR1 earning rate is exactly the same. Other than the fact that the CO CR1s haven't been delivered yet I'm not sure you're really missing anything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.