Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Merger Update – May 2011 (Includes boarding & check-in changes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Merger Update – May 2011 (Includes boarding & check-in changes)

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2011, 12:29 pm

http://www.wgntv.com/news/wgntv-new-look-for-united-may17,0,7700052.story

Video of the new checkin area at ORD.

After this PR kiss, WGN segued into the Flight 93 debacle.
Old May 18, 2011, 12:51 pm

Programs: CX DM, DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Plat
So, if I read some posts right, the premier access for check-in counters does not differentiate cabin class/elite status anymore, right?

If that is the case, I'd prefer the old UA premier lobbies with "GS/International First, International Business/Domestic First/1K, 1P/*G, 2P/*S" more. It really gave proper recognition regarding cabin class and elite status while most international airlines do so as well.
Old May 18, 2011, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Will we be able to make SDC changes on united.bomb now the same way we can at continental.com? Or will we still have to call?
Old May 18, 2011, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Hmm... customers decide, but I think UA will learn it was a mistake to have one check-in area at ORD for all premium cabin and elite customers. Especially with the understaffing which occurs at ORD.

Last edited by anc-ord772; May 18, 2011 at 1:57 pm Reason: Adjustment
Old May 18, 2011, 1:11 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Just a reminder to keep your comments to the changes and not directed at individuals. I removed a few comments that were getting off-topic and overly personal. This is not a thread about where the happiest employees are. Thanks.

l'etoile
UA co-mod
Old May 18, 2011, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1K (2MM)
I don't think $mi$ek has ever flown United from Hub to Hub, I've been on BWI-SFO flights that were 30+ people on the Red Carpet, and what does he think, he can just call up 1st class and global service? there will have been 10 premiers waiting in that blue line blocking it for 20+ minutes already.

This may work in smaller airports, but where is the $ loyalty? Plus credit card holders get access to that line?

This is absolutely awful.
Old May 18, 2011, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mckerrow
So, if I read some posts right, the premier access for check-in counters does not differentiate cabin class/elite status anymore, right?
Correct; 2P/1P/1K/GS/First/int'l premium now all check in together, and go through security together, and board together.

If that is the case, I'd prefer the old UA premier lobbies with "GS/International First, International Business/Domestic First/1K, 1P/*G, 2P/*S" more. It really gave proper recognition regarding cabin class and elite status while most international airlines do so as well.
I prefer it, too, but it's the new world order. You like these changes.

It wasn't a question. You like these changes, or else.
Old May 18, 2011, 1:21 pm

Programs: Southwest ALP, United 2MM Lifetime Platinum, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Unhappy

Originally Posted by zabes64
I don't think $mi$ek has ever flown United from Hub to Hub, I've been on BWI-SFO flights that were 30+ people on the Red Carpet, and what does he think, he can just call up 1st class and global service? there will have been 10 premiers waiting in that blue line blocking it for 20+ minutes already.

This may work in smaller airports, but where is the $ loyalty? Plus credit card holders get access to that line?

This is absolutely awful.
I think we will be lucky if they are just blocking....my guess is they will try to board and hope the gate agent is too overwhelemed to bother.

This dilution of 1K benefits really stinks, but being Philly based...yikes.
Old May 18, 2011, 1:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold
I am so excited about these changes. Everything is really coming together now on this merged carrier.
Old May 18, 2011, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
BusinessFirst the new brand? see Premier Access annoucement

http://onepassmergerupdates.com/en/o...English&tier=2

I know there are already threads on this announcement (so mods maybe merge with current thread?), but the quote below intrigued me.

These services are designed to get you through the airport with ease. When you fly First Class or BusinessFirst® on Continental and United

A typo, mistake, or a sign of things to come?
Old May 18, 2011, 1:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by PebbleBeach
I think we will be lucky if they are just blocking....my guess is they will try to board and hope the gate agent is too overwhelemed to bother.

This dilution of 1K benefits really stinks, but being Philly based...yikes.
That's the fault of the gate lice for standing the red carpet early. not the airline's fault.
Old May 18, 2011, 1:23 pm

Programs: Southwest ALP, United 2MM Lifetime Platinum, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Perhaps upgrades will be lottery style now. You may as well give a Premier the same odds as a 1K since everything else is flattened.
Old May 18, 2011, 1:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It wouldn't surprise me too much if they start to use the BusinessFirst branding over United Business where both are offered. The products are awfully similar and the BF brand name does have a bit of recognition out there.

ETA: That said, in the announcement email they sent out the sample Premier Access lane sign doesn't mention BF:
Old May 18, 2011, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by SFOSpiff
Correct; 2P/1P/1K/GS/First/int'l premium now all check in together, and go through security together, and board together.

I prefer it, too, but it's the new world order. You like these changes.

It wasn't a question. You like these changes, or else.
I think the "Or Else" part will be interesting over the next 12 - 18 months. I was just having lunch with some of my colleagues that had returned from a business trip yesterday. They (3 of them, all 1Ks but not FT'ers) were complaining about the zoo that the red carpet boarding had turned into on their flight from IAD yesterday. I told them to just wait until their next trip in a couple weeks going through check-in and security. They had not heard about these new changes that we "will" like yet.

We have 7 1K's and 4 EXP's on my floor of the office. My director (EXP) had been trying to convince most of the 1Ks that we should switch for several years. I think he may finally succeed this year, thanks to the new UA.
Old May 18, 2011, 1:26 pm

Understand, but you see it all the time. An agent takes a boarding card with group 3 rather then delay the line with 20 group 1's behind.

Gate lice...I like it. Can I use it? ;-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.