Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Merger Update – May 2011 (Includes boarding & check-in changes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Merger Update – May 2011 (Includes boarding & check-in changes)

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2011, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by dieselbear
Same-Day Flight Changes.
We’ve also aligned and expanded who is exempt from these fees: OnePass Gold/Platinum/Presidential Platinum and Mileage Plus Premier Executive/1K/Global Services members when traveling on either airline.

Excellent!

Also, 1Kpogoyoyo we get that you feel strongly about boarding, but you don't have to post the same comment multiple times.
Sorry, my network went down in the middle of an edit, causing the re-post. But at least I'm glad you're reading....
Old May 18, 2011, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Also,
while they are coordinating the meal choices, I want to know why they can't offer the fresh meals on flights shorter than 3.5 hours in Y? Maybe stock less on the 2-3.5 hour stages, but since they are selling anyways, they might as well offer them...
Old May 18, 2011, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Given UDU I would expect every Domestic First passenger to be an elite, so rather redundant. Nobody actually buys a domestic F fare!
I'm sure that there are corporate travel policies and people on international to domestic connections in premium cabins that disagree with that statement.
Old May 18, 2011, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by 1Kpogoyoyo
Mr. O’Leary,

You are making a mistake in changing the boarding process from Zone to "Back to Front" and I hope you listen to your most loyal (and highest revenue generating) customers. Please reconsider the choice and return to the more efficient Zone Seating process. Surely, someone must have looked at studies on this topic, like the one at http://leeds-faculty.colorado.edu/va...g/boarding.htmI traveled out from ORD to MCO yesterday and I was not impressed with the new branding, the boarding procees or the condition of the United Red Carpet club in Concourse B South. I hope this is not a preview of the things to come.

United 1K members SPEAK UP! Send your concerns to [email protected] NOW! We can make a difference.....

Pogo
As others have mentioned, it is the choice of the SHARES reservations system that drove this decision. SHARES is known to be a crappy but very cheap platform. I think that they are trying to mitigate the extra time consumed by back-to-front boarding by allowing grouping elites/FC together.
Old May 18, 2011, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
Mr O'Leary is a spokesperson. It wasn't him who thought up the new boarding process it was several upper level employees as a whole who decided on this. Also wht is emailing someone at UA gonna do? With the exception of a few who actually do respond, your jus gonna get a canned response tht says :
Dear so and so thank you so much for contacting us about the new boarding procedures we apprecitate your time blah blah blah our staff is looking into blah blah blah I seriously doubt there gonna revert back to zone boarding.
Last year, elite fliers were very successful in helping UA reverse a decision related to meal choices in Business Class seating on certain flight routes because they VOICED their opinion directly to United. Having participated on a focused forum of elite travelers moderated by United representatives ("spokespeople"), I can say firsthand that United does listen. But tell them directly, through the channels they have set up. That is what 1KVoice is for. Save your keystrokes from here, and drop them in the email to United.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead.

Make a difference.....
Old May 18, 2011, 10:21 am

Programs: UA 1K; AA Plat; B6 Mosaic; SPG Plat
Is the new fee waiver for Premier Exec same-day change effective immediately? I can't find it documented on any of the website links.

(EDIT: Never mind, found it in this thread)

Also, for those who were at ORD today - is the Global Services check-in lounge available to everyone? That's the only access point I can think of for GS-specific security lines (and there is no 1K specific security line at ORD).

Last edited by goldstj2; May 18, 2011 at 10:52 am Reason: found thread on same day change fees
Old May 18, 2011, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Thanks for the update, and confirming my choice to not pursue 1K this year as the correct one. I am sorry to see the dismantling of a business airline, for a recreational traveler edition that is unlikely to meet my needs as the erosion of top tier benefits continue.
Old May 18, 2011, 10:26 am

Scott -

Notably absent from your update is the following, which will occur on May 20. I'm not sure why this information isn't included?

Is the strategy to just have the flight attendants deliver this '..I think you'll like it...' change to the premium customers?

From the May 13 Onboard Updates to United flight attendants:
--------

Change to Pillow Provisioning

We are making changes to pillow provisioning to more closely align the product offering between our Continental and United subsidiaries. Effective May 20, we're removing pillows from United North America two-class and Hawaii flights.
Old May 18, 2011, 10:30 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Thanks for the update ^ but please have someone fix (or at least look into) the special meal issue for those in first class as it is now not offered at all on certain flights
Old May 18, 2011, 10:32 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sprokofiev

We are making changes to pillow provisioning to more closely align the product offering between our Continental and United subsidiaries. Effective May 20, we're removing pillows from United North America two-class and Hawaii flights.
This is pretty unacceptable. The PMUA first class seat is insanely uncomfortable when the FA slams it down into your shoulder blades, and the pillow is one of the few things that can be done to mitigate it.
Old May 18, 2011, 10:33 am

Pretty sure I was the first poster on FT to mention Premier Access in the thread about boarding procedure changes

Originally Posted by United757
"Over the next year Premier Access Boarding will replace EliteAccess and the Premium Boarding Process."

Premier Access customers include:

Continental
  • Presidential Plus
  • Presidential Platinum Elite
  • First Class/Business Class
  • OnePass Elite (Silver, Gold, Platinum)

United
  • Global Services
  • United First and Business
  • Mileage Plus Elite (Premier 25K, Premier Executive 50K, 1K-100K)
  • Premier Line
  • Premier Travel Options
Old May 18, 2011, 10:44 am

Scott -

Notably absent from your update is the following, which will occur on May 20. I'm not sure why this information isn't included?

Is the strategy to just have the flight attendants deliver this '..I think you'll like it...' change to the premium customers?

From the May 13 Onboard Updates to United flight attendants:
--------

Seriously?

Hey Jeff, I know I've said this too many times to count, but I don't think I like this change...especially as someone who sleeps on almost every flight.

Last edited by United757; May 18, 2011 at 10:54 am
Old May 18, 2011, 10:53 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by United757
Seriously?

Hey Jeff, I know I've said this too many times to count, but I don't think I like this change...
Seriously? Are they going to make one single change to "align" policies that gives us something better than we already have, or at least lets us keep something that was better than CO?

At least stop the fraudulent advertising that this merger is the "best of both airlines"
Old May 18, 2011, 10:55 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Yeah, it's such a tough decision to continue to reduce the benefits of high level UA elites. I've been 1K for more than 10 years. Guess it's really time to make the "not so tough anymore" decision to move over to the dAArk side. Clearly, the new UA dislikes its loyal 1K customers. Some reduction of benefits are understandable due to business reasons. But the new boarding process, the elimination of 1K check-in, and elimination of 1K security lines at the major airports clearly shows that the new UA has a clear disdain of the 1Ks.

I was planning to make 1K this year and see what happens after the completion of the single operating certificate. But it's obvious that I shouldn't bother to wait. I already qualified for 1P next year, not that I am likely to use its benefits next year as it stands now. The SWUs are next to useless now with the NC space essentially have gone to zero for advanced bookings. I've not had a SWU clear so far this year. Time to vote with the wallet.
Old May 18, 2011, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K

This is really bad form. Part because it makes them the only carrier not to offer pillows in F domestically, but also because it was conveniently omitted from the announcement. Makes you wonder what else they're up to (eliminating linens and ramekins, staring up drink charges?).

If the New UA wants to earn the respect of the members of this board, they really should announce both positives and negatives.

We're going to find out sooner or later, might as well be up front about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.