Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2013, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (specifically not standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply almost, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your first originally scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to answer 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: If the answer to both questions is yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for GM's and Silvers - the fees is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.
  • The proposed remaining itinerary must be operated by United or United Express®, and the ticket number must begin with 016. (see nuances below)

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United.com “change flight” link before checking in, within T-24. (Many have reported recently that this has problems and attempts to collect the full fare difference and $200 change fee.)
  • "Search Other Flight Options" button during OLCI. (This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.)
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = possible using any method
A = possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (e.g. JFK-> LGA; see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal (e.g. JFK -> EWR): N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2013, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Woah, my post is the first UA forum wikipost, it would appear. Awesomeness!

Mods: Can I edit the wikipost as needed?
Congratulations!

During this time of testing, only moderators and ambassadors have the permissions in the system to edit wikiposts. If the United forum moderators are fine with it, I would be happy to work with you and help you make any changes to it that you want. Otherwise, you would need to contact one of them to have them make any changes to the post.

Per the Community Director's announcement in the TalkBoard Topics forum, permissions are intended to be granted to a broader basis of the community by early summer. (Sorry, I don't have the link right now as I'm on my iPhone.)
Old Feb 27, 2013, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jackal
Congratulations!

During this time of testing, only moderators and ambassadors have the permissions in the system to edit wikiposts. If the United forum moderators are fine with it, I would be happy to work with you and help you make any changes to it that you want. Otherwise, you would need to contact one of them to have them make any changes to the post.
Awesome, thanks.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 6:41 pm

On an unrelated note:

There was some bickering earlier in the thread about standby (not SDC) and whether it can be done the day before the flight (but within T-24). Lots of "but the rules say same day!" and "but I've done it, bro!"

Can anyone confirm for me that they've done this recently?
Old Feb 28, 2013, 9:25 am

Programs: kayaker
On an unrelated note:

There was some bickering earlier in the thread about standby (not SDC) and whether it can be done the day before the flight (but within T-24). Lots of "but the rules say same day!" and "but I've done it, bro!"

Can anyone confirm for me that they've done this recently?
Since I was one of the ones involved in the "bickering" I want to clarify that for me, including recently (last couple months), it has been hit-or-miss to go standby the day before. Some agents stick to "the rules" (whatever those are) while some will let you on. The problem is that standby is at the airport and therefore is usually handled by a couple people (a check-in agent to get you a gate pass, and/or then the gate agent to process you) so you don't have the same "hang up call again" ability.

Yes, it works sometimes, but I am no longer willing to go to the airport in person for day-before standby unless I am really desperate to get out the night before.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by o mikros
Since I was one of the ones involved in the "bickering" I want to clarify that for me, including recently (last couple months), it has been hit-or-miss to go standby the day before. Some agents stick to "the rules" (whatever those are) while some will let you on. The problem is that standby is at the airport and therefore is usually handled by a couple people (a check-in agent to get you a gate pass, and/or then the gate agent to process you) so you don't have the same "hang up call again" ability.

Yes, it works sometimes, but I am no longer willing to go to the airport in person for day-before standby unless I am really desperate to get out the night before.
Thanks. No luck at the kiosk?
Old Feb 28, 2013, 9:43 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
That's a really useful Wiki. Thanks.

I'm intrigued by the enroute SDC-ing. Say one has a checked bag, are you still able to SDC to a different routing? I'm sure the answer OUGHT to be no, but this is SHARES, after all!
Old Feb 28, 2013, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hobo13
That's a really useful Wiki. Thanks.

I'm intrigued by the enroute SDC-ing. Say one has a checked bag, are you still able to SDC to a different routing? I'm sure the answer OUGHT to be no, but this is SHARES, after all!
I did a downline SDC with an agent after checking a bag and subsequent to that was able to further SDC using the app. When I got to my final destination, there were several different printouts taped on it...probably one from each time they checked my arrival flight and noticed it had changed.

I'm not sure if the app/website/kiosk will let you SDC if you have a bag checked--mine wouldn't show any SDC options at first because I had 3 segments on that leg (it wasn't until the agent broke the fare and I only had 2 segments left that I was able to change via the app).
Old Feb 28, 2013, 9:57 am

Programs: UA GS, 1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
I am very curious about adding legs while en route. Havent been able to do it online nor on phone.

MFR-SFO-IAD.

I am sitting in SFO and would like to change to SFO-IAH-IAD or SFO-SAN-IAD for the miles. Assume all the fare buckets are present.

Others have said this is straight forward. Using the kiosk, you just put in your MP number, and change the flight? On my phone, I'm almost certain the change flight option disappears when I am checked in and en route.

I have lots of experience juggling flights, and as i have mentioned in this thread, rarely fly my actual booked flights. this trick has evaded me to this point..

thoughts?

Thanks, T.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 9:58 am

Thanks. No luck at the kiosk?
Never gone that route, but even that requires you to be physically present at the airport. It's not worth my time and money and effort to go to the airport for a <50% chance of success, and success of just making it on to the standby list. If I can't confirm, I don't bother, unless I'm really desperate. And that's always worked for me.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fivevsone
I am very curious about adding legs while en route. Havent been able to do it online nor on phone.

MFR-SFO-IAD.

I am sitting in SFO and would like to change to SFO-IAH-IAD or SFO-SAN-IAD for the miles. Assume all the fare buckets are present.

Others have said this is straight forward. Using the kiosk, you just put in your MP number, and change the flight? On my phone, I'm almost certain the change flight option disappears when I am checked in and en route.

I have lots of experience juggling flights, and as i have mentioned in this thread, rarely fly my actual booked flights. this trick has evaded me to this point..

thoughts?

Thanks, T.
Hard to say. An agent should be able to do it for you, although they may wonder why...
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:35 am

Programs: UA GS, 1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Yeah. I aspire to do it with out interacting with an agent.

This could be the holy grail of SDC. To just keep adding layovers in my layovers and never actually arrive home!!
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:51 pm

Never gone that route, but even that requires you to be physically present at the airport. It's not worth my time and money and effort to go to the airport for a <50% chance of success, and success of just making it on to the standby list. If I can't confirm, I don't bother, unless I'm really desperate. And that's always worked for me.
I wonder if the kiosk might give you exactly the sort of consistency that you need to be willing to show up at the airport. In certain SDC contexts, people have reported that the kiosk enforces a different set of "rules" from the ones that the agents think apply.

Anyone have any experience with the kiosks for prior-day standby? I'm quite curious about this.

Originally Posted by fivevsone

MFR-SFO-IAD.

thoughts?

Thanks, T.
Others have reported plenty of success with this, particularly if you're trying to add the connection through a hub. You can use an airport kiosk or the app. IME, once you get to your layover location, the SDC features of the app are re-enabled.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 1:19 pm

I wonder if the kiosk might give you exactly the sort of consistency that you need to be willing to show up at the airport. In certain SDC contexts, people have reported that the kiosk enforces a different set of "rules" from the ones that the agents think apply.

Anyone have any experience with the kiosks for prior-day standby? I'm quite curious about this.
Dumb question: can you use the kiosks for standby? I've only ever done standby at the gate itself, and I don't remember ever seeing a standby option offered by the kiosks, only a full confirmed change.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 1:23 pm

Dumb question: can you use the kiosks for standby?
Yup. IIRC, you have to pretend to be doing the change, and if the sdc is not available, it'll give you standby as an option. It'll even print you a little standby faux-boarding-pass -- if it has ink, that is

I think that if the plane is under gate control (after T-1?), you need to go to the gate.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
i had a strange SDC experience today.

i changed a flight tomorrow and changed the routing. as it was SDC i was not charged a change fee, nor was there a fare class buyup required, but i was charged an add collect of a whopping 40 cents to make the change, presumably due to differing taxes at the connecting airport (?). anyone had this experience before? obviously i paid it rather than waste my time calling to find out why and if this was typical.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.