Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2013, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (specifically not standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply almost, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your first originally scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to answer 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: If the answer to both questions is yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for GM's and Silvers - the fees is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.
  • The proposed remaining itinerary must be operated by United or United Express®, and the ticket number must begin with 016. (see nuances below)

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United.com “change flight” link before checking in, within T-24. (Many have reported recently that this has problems and attempts to collect the full fare difference and $200 change fee.)
  • "Search Other Flight Options" button during OLCI. (This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.)
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = possible using any method
A = possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (e.g. JFK-> LGA; see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal (e.g. JFK -> EWR): N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2013, 5:35 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Briz
Thanks, I guess I missed that second bullet above. I only read it like 3 times!
If it were a nearby airport (e.g. CLD) and you got a helpful agent, you might get the rules bent... but halfway across the country is no chance.

You could pay the change fee + fare diff to make the switch, or just book DEN-MSY o/w and skip out on DEN-SAN.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 6:33 pm

Programs: MileagePlus *S A3M&B *G
SDC

Hi everyone,

Am thinking of SDCing a flight.

Original Itinerary: SFO->EWR @1102pm on Sunday

Desired Flight: SFO-EWR @ 1150pm on Saturday

Was wondering if this is possible if I go to the airport? The flight has quite a bit of availability at the moment.

I have Premier Silver and Star Gold on Aegean and was wondering if there are ways to get the 75 dollars waived as well?

Thank you so much in advance!
Old Oct 31, 2013, 6:38 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fusionarium
Hi everyone,

Am thinking of SDCing a flight.

Original Itinerary: SFO->EWR @1102pm on Sunday

Desired Flight: SFO-EWR @ 1150pm on Saturday

Was wondering if this is possible if I go to the airport? The flight has quite a bit of availability at the moment.

I have Premier Silver and Star Gold on Aegean and was wondering if there are ways to get the 75 dollars waived as well?

Thank you so much in advance!
Yes, it's possible, though it will be close. You can't make the change until 11:02pm on Saturday, meaning you will be only 48 minutes from departure at that point. An agent at the airport should be able to take care of it.

Not a great chance for a fee waiver, though.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 6:54 pm

Programs: MileagePlus *S A3M&B *G
Originally Posted by exerda
Yes, it's possible, though it will be close. You can't make the change until 11:02pm on Saturday, meaning you will be only 48 minutes from departure at that point. An agent at the airport should be able to take care of it.

Not a great chance for a fee waiver, though.
Do I request for it at the gate or do I do it at the check-in counter outside?

Thank you!
Old Oct 31, 2013, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by fusionarium
Do I request for it at the gate or do I do it at the check-in counter outside?

Thank you!
I'd personally try to do this a bit early so that you don't hit the check-in time limit. Go to the ticket counter, and if that doesn't work, try calling a few times.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Here's an interesting question:

How does SDC work on awards?

Normally, as a Plat or higher, you wouldn't bother dealing with SDC on an award--you'd just call the Premier Desk and have them make a fee-free change to the award itself, since there are no change fees or upfares.

With the recent award chart devaluation, there may be an opportunity next year to SDC a trip booked under the old award chart, where you wouldn't want to make an actual change to the award, since that would require the award to be rebooked at the new, higher level.

So, two major questions:

• Can awards even be SDCed? Will the OLCI system allow you to do so? Will agents (phone or airport) understand that you want to change times/routings without reissuing the award itself and paying additional miles? Or will they force you to rebook at the higher award level?
  • If you are booked in X, must only X be available, or can you SDC to XN as well? If not, is it possible to (by calling in, perhaps, after ticketing) have an agent force you into XN on all segments (even the ones where the system defaults you to X) so as to preserve the greatest opportunities for SDC? (Ditto for awards booked in C and F.)

Not that I specifically plan on ever doing this, especially as US49 awards haven't changed and international awards are probably going to be nearly impossible to SDC, anyway (and anything I book under the old award chart will likely involve partners, too), but it did just occur to me.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by jackal
Here's an interesting question:

How does SDC work on awards?

Normally, as a Plat or higher, you wouldn't bother dealing with SDC on an award--you'd just call the Premier Desk and have them make a fee-free change to the award itself, since there are no change fees or upfares.

With the recent award chart devaluation, there may be an opportunity next year to SDC a trip booked under the old award chart, where you wouldn't want to make an actual change to the award, since that would require the award to be rebooked at the new, higher level.

So, two major questions:

• Can awards even be SDCed? Will the OLCI system allow you to do so? Will agents (phone or airport) understand that you want to change times/routings without reissuing the award itself and paying additional miles? Or will they force you to rebook at the higher award level?
  • If you are booked in X, must only X be available, or can you SDC to XN as well? If not, is it possible to (by calling in, perhaps, after ticketing) have an agent force you into XN on all segments (even the ones where the system defaults you to X) so as to preserve the greatest opportunities for SDC? (Ditto for awards booked in C and F.)

Not that I specifically plan on ever doing this, especially as US49 awards haven't changed and international awards are probably going to be nearly impossible to SDC, anyway (and anything I book under the old award chart will likely involve partners, too), but it did just occur to me.
SDC for awards works just like for revenue tickets. Any differences were trivial until last month, because the opening of fare classes for X/XN worked just like for the lowest revenue fare classes, so all was well. Then last month happened. Now, you'll often be stuck with standby instead of SDC. Which sucks.

I've asked the UA Insider team about this "unforeseen" effect of their change to X/XN releasing, and they said that they're talking to stakeholders and trying to figure out what to do about it. Not especially helpful for the time being.

As for X vs. XN, this strikes me as the only place where X vs. XN actually manages to matter, despite the unending freak-outs about being booked into X as an elite. I don't know the answer, but I have a feeling that the answer might be bad.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 10:58 am

SDC on a cleared miles + cash upgrade

If i have cleared a miles and cash upgrade ($600 + 30K miles for a TPAC flight), and do a SDC change to another flight with no R/RN availability, do I lose my $600 and 30K miles?
Old Nov 2, 2013, 1:12 pm
Used to be 'joony'

Programs: General Member!
UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost*

Is it possible to SDC same day standby for a flight that is tomorrow? I'd get into the airport with today's boarding pass for a different routing, then SDC to next day's flight for my desired routing, and try to take the red eye that night.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 3:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by joony
Is it possible to SDC same day standby for a flight that is tomorrow?.....
SDC is not standby but a confirmed change. And yes if the original and new flight are within 24 hours of when you attempt to make the change, SDC rules will be followed.

Originally Posted by fmliu
If i have cleared a miles and cash upgrade ($600 + 30K miles for a TPAC flight), and do a SDC change to another flight with no R/RN availability, do I lose my $600 and 30K miles?
No but you lose you upgrade and IME you will not be able to do SDC online after being upgraded. You will have to call or go to the airport.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 3:23 pm
Used to be 'joony'

Programs: General Member!
Let me rephrase. I'm trying to do XXX-YYY-ZZZ with XXX-ZZZ red eye and YYY-ZZZ in the morning. Right now, YYY-ZZZ does not have availability to SDC, whereas the red eye does. However, XXX-YYY-ZZZ has availability tomorrow without the red eye. Could I SDC to that after getting into the airport with my pre SDC BP (other undesired routing) for the night before and ask to standby for the Red Eye to YYY after SDCing to XXX-YYY-ZZZ for tomorrow? That just seems counter to 'same day' in SDC, and it would create the long layover that I want (which SDC makes possible)
Old Nov 2, 2013, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by joony
Let me rephrase. I'm trying to do XXX-YYY-ZZZ with XXX-ZZZ red eye and YYY-ZZZ in the morning. Right now, YYY-ZZZ does not have availability to SDC, whereas the red eye does. However, XXX-YYY-ZZZ has availability tomorrow without the red eye. Could I SDC to that after getting into the airport with my pre SDC BP (other undesired routing) for the night before and ask to standby for the Red Eye to YYY after SDCing to XXX-YYY-ZZZ for tomorrow? That just seems counter to 'same day' in SDC, and it would create the long layover that I want (which SDC makes possible)
You need to repost with cities and times for everything. I think I vaguely understand what you're trying to do, but I genuinely cannot piece together your itinerary.

If you're trying to standby from tomorrow's XXX-YYY to tonight's redeye XXX-YYY, you "can't" do it, but have a good shot at either (1) finding an agent who will let you, or (2) having availability open up. If availability opens up, you should be able to find a phone agent who will let you move the single segment earlier, after you've switched to tomorrow's XXX-YYY-ZZZ.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA GS, 1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
I have SDC'd to a different flight/route with fare bucket availability, and then did Standby to the flight i wanted which had to fare bucket availability.

For instance.
Original flight was

SAN-IAH-BWI

Changed to
SAN-SFO-BWI (on the redeye open fare bucket)

Then Standby to the

SAN-SFO-BWI (3pm ish flight that arrives at 11pm ish no fare bucket available)

This was accomplished iwth an agent, and once I did standby, I was immediately confirmed and then all was well.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by fivevsone
I have SDC'd to a different flight/route with fare bucket availability, and then did Standby to the flight i wanted which had to fare bucket availability.

For instance.
Original flight was

SAN-IAH-BWI

Changed to

Then Standby to the

This was accomplished iwth an agent, and once I did standby, I was immediately confirmed and then all was well.
Yeah, this is an extremely useful "advanced" technique. Unfortunately, it requires a bending of the rules to get the first leg from tomorrow to tonight.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fivevsone

For instance.
Original flight was

SAN-IAH-BWI

Changed to

Then Standby to the

And I believe the standby leg will book into Y, this happen to me last week, SDC to a later flight, WL on a earlier one with booking class Y.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.