Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2013, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (specifically not standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply almost, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your first originally scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to answer 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: If the answer to both questions is yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for GM's and Silvers - the fees is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.
  • The proposed remaining itinerary must be operated by United or United Express®, and the ticket number must begin with 016. (see nuances below)

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United.com “change flight” link before checking in, within T-24. (Many have reported recently that this has problems and attempts to collect the full fare difference and $200 change fee.)
  • "Search Other Flight Options" button during OLCI. (This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.)
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = possible using any method
A = possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (e.g. JFK-> LGA; see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal (e.g. JFK -> EWR): N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2013, 11:56 pm

Programs: UA gold; WN A; PC plat; Marriott Gold
flying ONT-SFO-IAD-RDU on 9/3. Called in to SDC to ONT-SFO-RDU, but was told i had to wait and call back when it's within 24 hours of the SFO-RDU flight. Called back, and was charged $2.69 for the change (my booked V fare bucket was open). Odd amount. Have not had to pay anything for SDC before.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 9:59 am

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott - Titanium, Hertz - President's Circle
Originally Posted by fivevsone
Others have observed (claimed) that 3 hours (or so?) before departure, all the fare buckets open, if Y>0.

If this is true, it hasn't impacted my travel (that i am aware of) but it might help you. Assuming your only fare issues are in the first leg.

Throwing this out there again: The policy is 3.5 hrs before departure of the "new" flt. If you get an agent that doesn't know the policy tell them to search for, "GG SDC LINE 61." It states that 3.5 hours before departure all fare classes level out." I've had some agents throw me bones and put me on a flt that my bucket wasn't available on. HUCA definitely applies here!!

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Thanks very much for sharing this. Any idea what the policy is, specifically? Did the agent read it to you?

My question is, what is the "possibility"? Would the agent manually open up the fare buckets at T-3.5?

Given how much we in this thread do this, and that it hasn't been mentioned here (to my knowledge), it's no surprise that agents are similarly ignorant -- they have trouble enough getting the basic rules.

Are they all in one itin?
1. I have had a couple of agents read the policy to me. It simply states that 3.5 hours before departure of a flt all fare classes level out. ("level out" is the language used in the policy. i've been asked about this expression -- it's exactly what's stated in the policy.)

2. Agents who are aware of the policy have been somewhat generous/flexible on the 3.5 hours. I had an agent in LGA change an entire ITN on an MR when my bucket wasn't open. HUCA definitely applies here!

Hope this helps.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 3, 2013 at 10:34 am Reason: merge
Old Sep 3, 2013, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
It has been, and still is, the practice to open up all fare classes at or before T-3, except (now) award fare classes...
what is the policy now for award fare classes? thanks.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sockrebel
what is the policy now for award fare classes? thanks.
Hard to say. Recent notes have noted less opening of X/XN in the last hours.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 3:25 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by aacharya
Hard to say. Recent notes have noted less opening of X/XN in the last hours.
+1. I have seen this on routes to/from Hawaii during summer. X/XN don't open at all, even when revenue seats are available and all other fare classes are open within 3 hrs of departure.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
i was just denied SDC at ANC and by phone on the above scenario. requests went to the rate desk who quoted $900+ and $200 change fee regardless of routing.

note that there are connecting points between xxx-yyy and yyy-zzz. probably too many segments for kiosk (app shows nothing). they flat out refused to accommodate me on any one or two stop routing between xxx-zzz despite fare class availability down to N on several routings.

after i complete my travel i will update as to how i handled this situation, but i think that at least in my case there is an out.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 10:37 am

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott - Titanium, Hertz - President's Circle
Originally Posted by ddrost1
i was just denied SDC at ANC and by phone on the above scenario. requests went to the rate desk who quoted $900+ and $200 change fee regardless of routing.

note that there are connecting points between xxx-yyy and yyy-zzz. probably too many segments for kiosk (app shows nothing). they flat out refused to accommodate me on any one or two stop routing between xxx-zzz despite fare class availability down to N on several routings.

after i complete my travel i will update as to how i handled this situation, but i think that at least in my case there is an out.
What fare bucket are you traveling on? How many agents did you talk to? Just so I'm clear, this is for travel today?
Old Sep 4, 2013, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA GS, 1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Traveling BWI-SFO in the next few days.

My current itin is:

BWI-IAH-SFO. W fare bucket.

Since I have lots of time to get there, I am considering having fun with SDC.

After BWI-IAH

I understand I can SDC on my iphone from IAH-SFO to IAH-AUS-SFO.

However, after I fly the IAH-AUS leg, can I then change AUS-SFO to AUS-IAH-SFO?

So, my ultimate routing, done one leg at a time, in the airports would be:

BWI-IAH-AUS-IAH-SFO?

Besides the inherent insanity of doing this, would it be possible?

Presumably, if it is, then in my second IAH turn, I could change IAH-SFO to IAH-LAX-SFO just for fun... and make my Transcon:

BWI-IAH-AUS-IAH-LAX-SFO for 4114 miles vs.
BWI-IAH-SFO for 2870

Thoughts?
Old Sep 4, 2013, 7:04 pm

Programs: kayaker
...I understand I can SDC on my iphone from IAH-SFO to IAH-AUS-SFO....

Thoughts?
I'm not sure where you understand this from -- if it can happen, it's certainly an exception and not the norm.

And please, if you get to IAH and the mobile app isn't offering a re-route via AUS, please don't call an agent and beg to be given this new routing. I am getting worried by the number of people gloating about the absurd SDC they've pulled off and wonder whether UA will cut this very nice benefit.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 7:09 pm

I would only attempt this on the iphone app or kiosk.

I do standard SDC almost every trip, so I certainly wouldn't want to burn the benefits.

But since the plane is going to Austin anyway, and since it has empty seats, then jetting around to gain (mostly worthless) miles seems victimless to me. No?

ps. from above:

Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
Old Sep 5, 2013, 4:27 am

Programs: kayaker
I would only attempt this on the iphone app or kiosk.

I do standard SDC almost every trip, so I certainly wouldn't want to burn the benefits.

But since the plane is going to Austin anyway, and since it has empty seats, then jetting around to gain (mostly worthless) miles seems victimless to me. No?

ps. from above:

Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
The "change itinerary" you are referencing is typically to add a "logical" city, usually a UA hub. For example, routing rules for a particular fare may be MKE-CLE/EWR/ORD-PIT, i.e. only one stop, but you can get the kiosk to route you ORD-EWR/CLE-PIT during your layover at O'Hare.

Adding non-hub cities to an itinerary has never been offered to me by the kiosk, though I have seen it online in the case of IRROPS only.

Still, if you're looking for an airport to hang out in, you can do worse than one with Salt Lick BBQ and Amy's Ice Cream!
Old Sep 6, 2013, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by catbox9
I'm flying FAT-SFO-IAH-MEX at 0534 on Wednesday morning and would like to SDC to avoid the 0534 flight (especially since I'm 2 hours from FAT).

In a perfect world I'd be able to leave tomorrow after work and fly FAT-XXX-IAD-MEX to get some extra miles and FAT-DEN-IAD-MEX seems to be a valid routing.
UPDATE: I was able to SDC FAT-LAX-IAH-MEX Tuesday night to avoid the super early flight. Lost 256 PQM in the process

For my outbound flight I was scheduled MEX-IAH-LAX-FAT but I was able to convince a super nice phone agent to SDC me to MEX-IAD-LAS-FAT. Will gain 1787 PQM by doing this Hopefully I can SDC some more once I get to IAD
Old Sep 6, 2013, 3:20 pm

I chose not to try and visit Austin for burgers. Hopped an earlier flight and sniped the last F seat.

Interesting note, when I looked at SDC options in IAH, I was give an IAH-ORD-SFO routing which would have added a massive chunk of miles. So, backtracking, to some extent is OK.

Also, as suggested above, all of my two-leg offers were thru hubs: LAX, DEN, ORD. No CLE sadly!!
Old Sep 7, 2013, 11:22 am

Programs: UA 1K
Just to add a data point. I was on a ZFV-EWR-PDX and wanted to change to ZFV-EWR-LAX-PDX at EWR. All the GAs wanted to a refare to EWR-LAX + LAX-PDX and a $200 change fee instead of SDC. I eventually got it (after a few HUCAs), but is this the new policy about adding layovers (and violating routing rules) at connection points? Or have I just been lucky before?

slightly OT, but the EWR-LAX flight went out half empty...i had a whole row of E+ to myself. While the EWR-PDX flight I was originally on went out full...
Old Sep 7, 2013, 11:44 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by zhangbear
Just to add a data point. I was on a ZFV-EWR-PDX and wanted to change to ZFV-EWR-LAX-PDX at EWR. All the GAs wanted to a refare to EWR-LAX + LAX-PDX and a $200 change fee instead of SDC. I eventually got it (after a few HUCAs), but is this the new policy about adding layovers (and violating routing rules) at connection points? Or have I just been lucky before?

slightly OT, but the EWR-LAX flight went out half empty...i had a whole row of E+ to myself. While the EWR-PDX flight I was originally on went out full...
This one is relatively simple: Don't use airport agents for SDC in most cases, especially when altering (non-O/D) routing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.