Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Minimum Age to Enter United Club Alone? (without an accompanying adult)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Minimum Age to Enter United Club Alone? (without an accompanying adult)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:52 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by barabuski
.... I was not really looking into drinking, though I do look older and could probably pass. It is probably not worth the risk. ....
not sure what the risk. If you could reasonable pass for 21 and don't attempt to get an alcoholic drink, you should be fine.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
not sure what the risk. If you could reasonable pass for 21 and don't attempt to get an alcoholic drink, you should be fine.
Sorry for the confusion, that's what I was referring to - Passing as over 21 and attempting to get a drink. The drink isn't worth the risk, is what I meant!
Old Feb 23, 2013, 9:56 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Sorry for the confusion, that's what I was referring to - Passing as over 21 and attempting to get a drink. The drink isn't worth the risk, is what I meant!
nor worth the risk to UA -- some clubs have had their liquor license suspended due to underage drinkers.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 11:14 am

Hello,

Pretty simple question. On the back of my united club pass cards, it says you must be 21 or accompanied by an adult to get into the clubs.
I admit I'm too lazy to dig out my own passes (they're pretty buried in my office), but if that is the actual wording on the back of the passes, it's pretty stupid. In the U.S., you are a legal adult at 18. As worded, two 18-year-olds could go to the club together and vouch for each other.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
How old does one have to be to purchase a Priority Pass membership? The full version is good for most of the UA lounges as well as many others.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by fwoomp
I admit I'm too lazy to dig out my own passes (they're pretty buried in my office), but if that is the actual wording on the back of the passes, it's pretty stupid. In the U.S., you are a legal adult at 18. As worded, two 18-year-olds could go to the club together and vouch for each other.
Yeah, that would be silly. I misspoke and believe it actually says accompanied by someone over 21. Which I find also silly, because if I was denied access I could just go ask someone coming in to "accompany" me for five seconds.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 1:39 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
How old does one have to be to purchase a Priority Pass membership? The full version is good for most of the UA lounges as well as many others.
As they clearly state on their website

7. What is the joining age?
Membership is available from 18 years of age. Please note that some lounges limit access to cardholders who are 21 or older. Please note that cardholders must abide by Conditions of Use.

So if the plan is to get around the minimum age by going priority pass, don't plan on that working.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 2:13 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
The only way to get around the 18yo restriction for UA/US lounges is by using an international *G card.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
Originally Posted by fwoomp
"parent or guardian" is the phrasing in the T&C on the iPHone app
Old May 16, 2013, 5:23 pm

Out of the many times that I have visited the United Club, most of the times they match my name from my card to my BP and then to my passport. And then they let me in. One time the lady did call the supervisor because she suspected I was too "young", however after the supervisor came and saw my *G card he let me in. I'm 17 btw.

Last edited by dominik208; Jul 26, 2013 at 2:18 pm
Old Jul 15, 2013, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
Just thought I would add, UA has once again changed the age requirement for a United Club membership. It is now back down to 18 years of age from previously being 21.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 4:00 pm
txp

Programs: UA, AA, DL, BA, Marriott, Hilton, Accor, Hyatt
Access to UC for minor traveling alone?

Hi everyone,

If someone who is under 18 is mature enough to travel as an adult (unsupervised), is there a way in which s/he could get access to the UC with a day pass? From everything I've seen, you must be 18 to buy a day pass.

The Young Travelers' Club would be an option, but this is for people who are supervised, with paperwork involved.

Has anyone been successful in getting UC to make an exception to the 18YO rule?

Thanks!
Old Sep 1, 2013, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Does the minor look adult-ish? If so, I think s/he can just buy a day pass, or could buy one ahead of time from someone with a glut of them. Last I checked, the age enforcement ain't all that vigorous.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Does the minor look adult-ish? If so, I think s/he can just buy a day pass, or could buy one ahead of time from someone with a glut of them. Last I checked, the age enforcement ain't all that vigorous.
While true -- they did raise the minimum age to 21.

If it helps... I (unfortunately) still get carded on planes but haven't been asked about my age going into a UC.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 4:13 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
With an international *G card, UC club access is possible for an unaccompanied minor. Day pass or membership is a no-go for anyone under 21.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.