Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Minimum Age to Enter United Club Alone? (without an accompanying adult)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Minimum Age to Enter United Club Alone? (without an accompanying adult)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2012, 11:23 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by mnmme
don't you have to be flying on an Intl itinerary to use your *G?

Only if you're US or UA *G, if you're another *G then you get access.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 11:26 am

Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze
Thanks for finding this thread for me. I thought I remembered seeing it at one point but couldn't find it again. I agree he could ask someone to be his chaperone but I doubt he would have the nerve to ask a complete stranger (which is probably a good thing).

I know the United Clubs at IAD don't have open bar so that wouldn't be an issue. I'll tell him to give it a shot - worst they can do is say no.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 11:58 am

Programs: UA 1MM Gold, Hhonors Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by bevoinva
Thanks for finding this thread for me. I thought I remembered seeing it at one point but couldn't find it again. I agree he could ask someone to be his chaperone but I doubt he would have the nerve to ask a complete stranger (which is probably a good thing).

I know the United Clubs at IAD don't have open bar so that wouldn't be an issue. I'll tell him to give it a shot - worst they can do is say no.
The rule came from PMCO and the open bar was not the issue (the liquor license or some nonsense). In the last few years CO started making exceptions for certain passengers, including *G, but 18+ only. A few months ago I was informed by several former-PC agents (and my favorite one that told me about the exception in the first place) that *G exception had gone away. It should still exist for same-day BF pax, however, since lounge access is "included in the price of the ticket" which circumvents those liquor licensing laws. I am not really sure what the true policy is anymore since I had to fight with many dragons about the 18 *G exception, even in hubs. The problem is the exception was never printed anywhere except in binders that only the dragons could see.

UA RCCs never even required ID for entry IIRC, but they didn't have free alcohol until the merger began. Since the club agents in IAD would most likely be PMUA they may be less strict. Although I find many agents to be rather unpleasant in IAD no matter what. The sponsor thing would be on the safer side even though it is annoying and a bit weird to approach a "friend" at the airport.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 12:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
According to the updated UA website, *G access to UC requires: 1) *G card and 2) BP for *A intl. flight. OP's son is flying a pure domesitc itinerary and his BP therefore won't meet the published restriction. Note that although it's located at the wrong concourse, OP's son could access the LH SEN lounge because that requires only 1) *G card and 2) *G BP (no requirement that the destination be intl).

http://united.com/web/en-US/content/...ge/access.aspx
Old Mar 25, 2012, 12:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL Diamond, LH SEN, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Often1
According to the updated UA website, *G access to UC requires: 1) *G card and 2) BP for *A intl. flight. OP's son is flying a pure domesitc itinerary and his BP therefore won't meet the published restriction. Note that although it's located at the wrong concourse, OP's son could access the LH SEN lounge because that requires only 1) *G card and 2) *G BP (no requirement that the destination be intl).

http://united.com/web/en-US/content/...ge/access.aspx
The *A intl flight rule only applies to UA and US *Gs. The A3 *G card will allow access to UCs even on domestic itineraries.

A3 *G status is really easy to obtain which is why many UA elites will credit enough miles to A3 to get a 2nd *G card. In many cases it can be less expensive than the UC membership or Priority Pass.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 1:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by BryanIAH
The *A intl flight rule only applies to UA and US *Gs. The A3 *G card will allow access to UCs even on domestic itineraries.

A3 *G status is really easy to obtain which is why many UA elites will credit enough miles to A3 to get a 2nd *G card. In many cases it can be less expensive than the UC membership or Priority Pass.
That may be, but take a look at what the UA Website says and, if that's what the UC receptionist sees or thinks, it's what's going to happen. We're talking about a 13-year old kid. At a minimum, I would call UA and ask that his record be noted.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 9:55 pm

Getting into United Clubs under 21?

Hello,

Pretty simple question. On the back of my united club pass cards, it says you must be 21 or accompanied by an adult to get into the clubs. Does anyone ever really check? I'm under 21 and looking to get into the Boston club during a long layover in a couple months. Do club agents ever check ID? I'd be a little bummed if I was stopped because of that.

Let me know, and thank you!
Old Feb 22, 2013, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by barabuski
Hello,

Pretty simple question. On the back of my united club pass cards, it says you must be 21 or accompanied by an adult to get into the clubs. Does anyone ever really check? I'm under 21 and looking to get into the Boston club during a long layover in a couple months. Do club agents ever check ID? I'd be a little bummed if I was stopped because of that.

Who's card is it?
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:13 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I wouldn't count on getting in, and should you do get in and try to get a drink they may toss you out.

They aren't going to risk the ability to serve liquor by looking the other way.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:16 pm

Programs: United: Gold, HHonors: Gold, Marriott: Gold, AA, US, AGR
Originally Posted by barabuski
Hello,

I made Star Gold a few months after turning 21. I had one experience at the SFO lounge where they carded me only at the bar but not at the front desk.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Yes they do check ID but they dont usually check the actual DOB so you might have a shot. The ID policy is not around verifying age it's about making sure folks dont just give their card to someone else. Now if the name on the card and the ID dont match you wont have a chance.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:10 pm

I've been going in and out of RCC/ United Clubs since being 15 years old. Never had an issue except once when the lounge attendant intodruced me to the bar tender to make sure I wouldnt get any drinks. Fine with me
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:23 pm

The UC is not a bar, it's a club for people of ALL ages. As long as the OP has a card or a pass to get in he will be admitted. Getting a drink from the bartender when you're under 21, that's another story, just ask someone at the SEA UC why their liquor license was temporarily suspended a year or so ago.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by LilAbner
.... As long as the OP has a card or a pass to get in he will be admitted. ....
If under 21 OP does not a card / club membership, per the UC rules,
You must be at least 21 years of age to qualify for membership.
and as for the credit card passes (from the back of the pass)
You must be 21 years of age or older to redeem.
as the OP mentioned.

But in practice, a pass will probably not be an issue unless OP obviously underage.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:46 pm

Thanks for the responses everyone. Yes the passes are mine, but given that they are from the United Chase CC, they have no name on them (that I can tell) so I don't think that matters. I was not really looking into drinking, though I do look older and could probably pass. It is probably not worth the risk. I just want a quieter area to relax for a few hours (though, I'm going to gander that Boston on the day after Easter is not the epitome of calm). It sounds like the rule is more due to underage drinking rather than keeping minors out. Thanks again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.