Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Minimum Age to Enter United Club Alone? (without an accompanying adult)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Minimum Age to Enter United Club Alone? (without an accompanying adult)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2011, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA: Premier 1K AA: Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
US and UA allow 18+ to access their clubs. It is CO that is the problem.
Right. But I remember getting into the PC under 21 as well. But I don't remember if they checked my ID that time. Hmm.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA*S, OZ*G, CO*S
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
US and UA allow 18+ to access their clubs. It is CO that is the problem.
I'm not sure that the rules are actually enforced; as an under 18, I've been able to access both the US and UA clubs with just *G or on a C ticket. Not sure about CO.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 7:11 pm

Programs: TG ROP Silver, UA M+ Prmier
I enter UA's RCC @ ORD countless time using Piority Pass when I was under 18. It was the same to other US lounges too.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

At Sky Harbor right now. The US Club front desk folks (all three of them) are "confident" that CO wouldn't deny access to someone under 21, unless they were trying to get alcohol.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 8:38 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
I accesed PC before on amex plat when I was under 21 many times. Never got carded. It's probably a rule for the alcohol.
Old May 23, 2011, 1:56 pm

Programs: Premier Gold United, silver medallion delta
Minors in Red Carpet Club

I am thirteen years old and travel a lot. I am currently Continental Silver elite, and will be gold by the end of the year. With all my travel I want to get a Red Carpet Club membership. Most of my travel is alone so if I have my own membership will they let me in alone?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 23, 2011 at 2:13 pm Reason: moved into recent and related thread
Old May 23, 2011, 2:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I 'think' there's an age requirement of 18 years old to be a member, but I'm not sure. Hopefully someone can post a link to the RCC rules/membership app.

Congrats on flying so much!

Cheers.
Old May 23, 2011, 2:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Lounge membership is a problem for minor and you will not be able to purchase a RCC membership, per t&Cs
Membership is open to individuals 18 years of age and older.
Believe CO PC has an 21 requirement.

Appears you are an independent traveller but are an age that does not permit lounge membership.
Old May 23, 2011, 2:35 pm

Programs: Premier Gold United, silver medallion delta
"Chaperon for Presidents Club"

I am looking at getting a Presidents club membership, but I am thirteen. I was thinking could I just go to the gate and ask someone if they would like to come in the presidents club that way I could get around the age limit?
Old May 23, 2011, 2:35 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Plat, AMEX Plat
Yes, Continental has 21 as age requirement.

Delta is 18 - but have to be 21 (or with someone 21+) to enter any club with a self-service bar.

Didn't think Continental had that many self-service bars, but I would still guess age requirement is rooted in alcohol policy.
Old May 23, 2011, 5:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by c3opti
I am looking at getting a Presidents club membership, but I am thirteen. I was thinking could I just go to the gate and ask someone if they would like to come in the presidents club that way I could get around the age limit?
You will not be able to purchase a membership unless you would be willing to lie.
And as for the "friend" approach, while you may be an experienced traveller, IMO it is not a good idea for a minor to approach strangers at the airport.
Old May 23, 2011, 5:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
First, you can't get a membership unless you lie. Actually I'm not sure the app requires a DOB, but it might in which case you'd be lying - and could get your membership revoked the first time you presented it & they realized you're not close to the age of membership.

Second, are you nuts or just incredibly naive? Going up to strangers at age 13 & asking them to go w/ you to an airline lounge. WORST IDEA EVER!!!

Third, ask your parent(s) what they think of your idea of asking strangers to get you into a club. My guess is they would not be thrilled about the idea. Speaking of parents - who's paying for the membership? I don't know too many 13yrolds who have a personal credit card.

Fourth, I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt, but this sounds like a set-up or scam or just someone having fun on FT.

Cheers.
Old May 23, 2011, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

I am thirteen years old and travel a lot. I am currently Continental Silver elite, and will be gold by the end of the year. With all my travel I want to get a Red Carpet Club membership. Most of my travel is alone so if I have my own membership will they let me in alone?
To purchase a PC membership, you must be 21. To purchase a RCC or US membership, you must be 18.
Has nothing to do with the age required to enter. So you could not purchase a membership, like some others have said, unless you lie about your age, which I recommend you don't do...
And I wanna second what some others have said, be careful who you talk to. Now yes, it is the secure are in an airport, and if you find idk a couple or maybe an old lady or mother and child, then MAYBE. But careful.
Old May 24, 2011, 11:43 am
Suspended

My son (15) has never had a problem accessing any domestic or intl club rooms while traveling solo.
Old May 24, 2011, 12:08 pm

Programs: AS MVP, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Plat, Enterprise ExPlat
Flew BF last year and was able to access the PC at IAH even though I was under 20, and alone. The woman at the counter just told me, "Be a good boy and don't get a drink from the bar."

The flight attendants, however, offered me a drink and not wanting to be rude accepted.

That being said, I'm 21 now so I don't have to worry about getting denied access.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.