Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why dont UA Elite upgrades appear to be processed by CO at the cut off times?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2011, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Alaska MVP 75K, HH Diamond

I've noticed this on a few flights as of late where F looks practically empty but upgrades are not clearing or being cleared until check in or even not until the gate. Is this really an erosion of the cut off times for confirmed elite upgrades?
Old Apr 19, 2011, 9:08 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by rajsbasi
I've noticed this on a few flights as of late where F looks practically empty but upgrades are not clearing or being cleared until check in or even not until the gate. Is this really an erosion of the cut off times for confirmed elite upgrades?
Yes. It has been documented and discussed often on FT, and is now considered the new normal.

SunLover
Old Apr 19, 2011, 9:40 am

It's not just UA Elites

Originally Posted by rajsbasi
As a CO Gold, I've noticed the same thing. It's rare to be upgraded at T-3. Lately upgrades have been at T-1 or at the gate.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Johnson21710
As a CO Gold, I've noticed the same thing. It's rare to be upgraded at T-3. Lately upgrades have been at T-1 or at the gate.
Why would a UA Elite continue to fly as a UA Elite on CO flights? I'm thankful, since I'm always buying cheap tickets, that I'll outrank a PE, but honestly, use the status match.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:08 am
Suspended

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold
CO has chosen, in its infinite wisdom, to hold back seats for the Sacred TOD Upgrades. The TOD upgraders are, in CO's view, the most important people in the entire world. So far fewer EUA's until the gate, so as to maximize the number of TOD upgrades. Others will claim they are doing this to sell F seats, but let's get real with the ghettoization of the CO F product it's not worth paying for anymore.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:12 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
There are some flights now that CO NEVER releases any upgrade seats in advance - even if F is empty. All upgrades are processed at the gate at the last minute.

While CO has an EUA system - for some flights it has been permanently disabled, such as some key routes at key times (DCA-IAH afternoon flights for example on Thur/Friday/Sunday)
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:13 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Note, this is not always across the board. Just flew recently to SMF, ONT and PDX via IAH and was upgraded at the 5 day window. For sure, CO is not running EUA as it once did, but it still runs as we remember it at other times.

Safe Travels
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:19 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by GTITAN
Note, this is not always across the board. Just flew recently to SMF, ONT and PDX via IAH and was upgraded at the 5 day window.
I would not consider SMF, ONT, PDX as key CO routes. Key route cities for example would include EWR, LAX, SFO, DCA, BOS, which are key business routes. And likely add DEN and ORD - UA hubs and SNA.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by gawhite411
CO has chosen, in its infinite wisdom, to hold back seats for the Sacred TOD Upgrades. The TOD upgraders are, in CO's view, the most important people in the entire world. So far fewer EUA's until the gate, so as to maximize the number of TOD upgrades. Others will claim they are doing this to sell F seats, but let's get real with the ghettoization of the CO F product it's not worth paying for anymore.

I worry that PMUA UDU will soon be infected by this, i.e. TOD upsell to anyone.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:38 am

Programs: UA,DL,AA,Hilton,Starwood, Hyatt, Marriott,Taj, Shangrila
CO not upgrading UA Elites

You are SO Right!!!!! Continental is not processing UA elite upgrades. We(2 Prem Exec million mile flyers) are flying tomorrow and both flights CO420 and CO1662 have first seats available. CO customer service supervisor gave me a song and dance that I could apply for an upgrade at 24 hours when boarding passes can be printed. I read the UA Website elite upgrade terms to her and she said too bad that's not how it works.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:39 am

Programs: UA, AA
Personally, I've always been in favor of holding back 4+ seats until the gate in order to accommodate paid F irrops and last minute purchases by platinums.

I have a family of 5 and can pretty much guarantee that when buying paid F, if there is a cancellation or mis-connect, we're sitting in coach.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:42 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by cova
I would not consider SMF, ONT, PDX as key CO routes. Key route cities for example would include EWR, LAX, SFO, DCA, BOS, which are key business routes. And likely add DEN and ORD - UA hubs and SNA.
Note my response was to the blanket statement that EUA is not running at the window all the time. I agree that in many places that is indeed the case. One Friday morning CO released 12 F seats at the battlefield for CLT-EWR (one of which went to my mom who is Silver^). Just wanted to demonstrate that it is not always "system wide".

Safe Travels
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:46 am

Programs: UA MM, HH Gold, SPG LT Gold
Originally Posted by aacharya
Why would a UA Elite continue to fly as a UA Elite on CO flights? I'm thankful, since I'm always buying cheap tickets, that I'll outrank a PE, but honestly, use the status match.
I have already matched to CO Plat from UA 1k, and made sure the FF number in the CO metal flight is CO Plat status, but still no confirmed EUA at T-5 though F is showing almost empty.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PSU Mudder
Personally, I've always been in favor of holding back 4+ seats until the gate in order to accommodate paid F irrops and last minute purchases by platinums.

I have a family of 5 and can pretty much guarantee that when buying paid F, if there is a cancellation or mis-connect, we're sitting in coach.
Nobody's complaining about holding back 4 of 16-24 F seats til the gate. The issue is holding back 75%+ of F seats up until T-24, and even then later in the day - basically, to sell Kettle upgrades.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:53 am

Programs: UA MM, HH Gold, SPG LT Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Nobody's complaining about holding back 4 of 16-24 F seats til the gate. The issue is holding back 75%+ of F seats up until T-24, and even then later in the day - basically, to sell Kettle upgrades.
+1, my 2011 upgrade with UA/CO so far: UDU 11/12 (91%), EUA 3/8 (37%).

Last edited by pm6163; Apr 19, 2011 at 10:59 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.