Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

So now I have to pay for E+ for everyone, or none of us can sit there?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2011, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Its been a few years since I had elite status on UA, and I just recently re-qualified for Elite on CO, so I'll admit I'm out of touch. But under UA rules, I can only have one companion sit with me in E+? Not only that, but I have to either pay for everyone else to sit in E+, or none of us can? Are you kidding me?

I can understand (but not like) the one companion rule, but making everyone pay, or no one gets to sit in E+? That's ridiculous. If I had known that, I would have been sure not to fly UA metal for this reservation.

I hope the new program follows the OnePass philosophy. Seating is really the only tangible benefit that I see out of having elite status now.

Big thumbs down to Mileage Plus for this rule.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 12:53 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
I assume you're making this assumption because you've booked an itinerary with more than 2 people on it and it won't show you the E+ seat map. This is a system limitation, not policy. You can call UA and get 2 of you put in E+ for free.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, NW Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
You won't like the answer

According to UA CSRs you are allowed to take only one person into E+ with you. If there are more people than that in your party, you may either split up (they will even let all of the kids sit together in the back of the plane!!!), fork over the extra money for everyone to sit in E+, or sit in the back together.

I personally would LOVE to let the 11, 10 and 8 year old sit in the back by themselves while I sit in E+ on our upcoming 8+ hour flight, but I don't have the guts to do it.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 2:36 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by skimple
If I had known that, I would have been sure not to fly UA metal for this reservation.
But UA is the only domestic carrier with E+. If you were on CO metal, wouldn't you all be in E- by default?
Old Apr 16, 2011, 2:49 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Call and two of you can sit in E+

Not sure how it can be better on another airline, since UA is the only one with E+.

But no, you can't book 20 people on one reservation and take them all into E+ if only you have status. And to me, that's a good thing.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
Originally Posted by cordelli
Call and two of you can sit in E+

Not sure how it can be better on another airline, since UA is the only one with E+.

But no, you can't book 20 people on one reservation and take them all into E+ if only you have status. And to me, that's a good thing.
+!. E+ is a limited commodity. If you get 6 (or 20) seats, some elites won't get any.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by euslaner
+!. E+ is a limited commodity. If you get 6 (or 20) seats, some elites won't get any.
Odd, as CO (with far less ELR seats available) doesn't have this limitation.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA, but I play the field
For what it is worth, I would add the following:

-- by way of opinion: I tend to agree with the suggestion of others that the 1-companion rule for E+ is correct, even generous.

-- by way of fact: higher elite status members -- 1K -- actually get to bring up to 8 companions traveling on the same confirmation into E+ http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6867,1171,00.html

-- by way of suggestion: I suspect you won't like this, but as a practical matter, depending on how many "extra" people you are flying with, where you are flying to, and if you or someone else is planning to fly UA again in the next year, you may wish to consider having one of your companions purchase the United's annual E+ option for $425: https://store.united.com/traveloptio...nkTitle=UM_EPA Someone with annual E+ also gets to bring a companion with them, so between you and that individual, you would have 4 E+ seats covered. A lot of people don't like to shell out extra money for privileges they think should be free in the first place, but imho it is a pretty good deal if you plan on taking an international flight (or two), and an even better deal if you will be doing so with a companion. That extra 5" makes a big difference in comfort on a long flight.

Good luck!
Old Apr 16, 2011, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

In fact I did call the UA elite desk and the horrible CSR told me that I am welcome to buy the other two E+ seats. If I do not buy the E+, we CANNOT split up, and all have to sit in back.

And as I said, I can understand the only 1 companion rule, but both online and the CSR state that I cannot sit two in E+ and the rest of the party in back, which would at least allow me to sit my wife up front.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 9:46 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
In fact I did call the UA elite desk and the horrible CSR told me that I am welcome to buy the other two E+ seats. If I do not buy the E+, we CANNOT split up, and all have to sit in back.

And as I said, I can understand the only 1 companion rule, but both online and the CSR state that I cannot sit two in E+ and the rest of the party in back, which would at least allow me to sit my wife up front.
Call back again and ask them to split the PNR...2 on one and 2 on the other. Then you'll be able to do it yourself online for you and the other person on your itinerary.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 9:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
In fact I did call the UA elite desk and the horrible CSR told me that I am welcome to buy the other two E+ seats. If I do not buy the E+, we CANNOT split up, and all have to sit in back. ...
absolutely incorrect --- not sure why you are getting bad information

Have you status matched to UA or are you using you CO status?
How did you call UA "elite desk?"

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
Call back again and ask them to split the PNR...2 on one and 2 on the other. Then you'll be able to do it yourself online for you and the other person on your itinerary.
no need or reason to do that -- in fact potentially a bad idea in irrops (especially with childern)
Old Apr 16, 2011, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, NW Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold

When I called them and asked about everyone sitting together I was told 2 in E+ and three in E, all 5 in E or buy the upgrades for the 3 additional tickets. When I joked and asked if I could seat the 3 kids in the back by themselves, the CSR said she would be happy to do that for me. I wish there wasn't a wall between E+ and E--then I would just seat the kids in the row behind me.

Obviously the CSR won't be on that flight.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 10:30 pm

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
Originally Posted by computerquest
When I called them and asked about everyone sitting together I was told 2 in E+ and three in E, all 5 in E or buy the upgrades for the 3 additional tickets. When I joked and asked if I could seat the 3 kids in the back by themselves, the CSR said she would be happy to do that for me. I wish there wasn't a wall between E+ and E--then I would just seat the kids in the row behind me.

Obviously the CSR won't be on that flight.
There's no wall. Usually E- starts behind the second exit row on the single-aisles. There is a division (Galley+lav) on some of the widebodies.

You got the correct info; each pax with status can bring a +1, but that's it. OP got bad info, unfortunately.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 11:24 pm

Programs: AA, but I play the field
It is unfortunately not unheard of to receive incorrect advice from a CSR, so would definitely phone again as others have suggested. However, you indicate that you believe you have seen this E+ policy stated online as well -- can you provide a link, or cut and paste the statement? I'm wondering if by chance you might be confusing this with the policy for Unlimited Domestic Upgrades (UDUs), which states:

c) If the reservation includes more than one companion, it is not eligible for an Unlimited Domestic Upgrade. For information on upgrades on a reservation with multiple companions, please call United reservations or ask an airport agent

http://www.united.com/page/article/1,,53475,00.html

This might also be the source of confusion with the CSR, if by chance you used the word "upgrade" instead of "Economy Plus" on your phone call.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 11:39 pm

Programs: TG*G, SQ, QF
As 1P my usual work around for this is to select an exit row seat at the front of E- and put kids in the row behind.. at least i know who and can control who is kicking my seat.. :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.