Wiki Posts
Search

Troubles with Continental and United CCs

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2011, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Troubles with Continental and United CCs

Question folks,

I applied for the Continental card, made a purchase and got my miles. I also applied for the United card at the same time but was denied due to the two applications being so close together. When I called to get it reconsidered, they said the only way to approve the United card would be to close the Continental card. Would closing my Continental card only a month after being approved for it affect my credit or the miles that I earned in any way? Thanks for your help.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 1:58 am

Programs: United Airlines Premier, Starwood Gold Preferred Guest, Hyatt Gold Passport, Club Carlson Gold
It definitely won't affect the miles. Regarding the credit, there will be some effect, but it won't be that much.

Originally Posted by greenythebeast
Question folks,

I applied for the Continental card, made a purchase and got my miles. I also applied for the United card at the same time but was denied due to the two applications being so close together. When I called to get it reconsidered, they said the only way to approve the United card would be to close the Continental card. Would closing my Continental card only a month after being approved for it affect my credit or the miles that I earned in any way? Thanks for your help.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 12:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... Would closing my Continental card only a month after being approved for it affect my credit or the miles that I earned in any way? Thanks for your help.
it might have a minor effect on credit score, but credit scores are more driven by the longevity of the account and the size of the credit line. Closing a long opened account with a high credit line can have a significant effect.

On the miles, most cc promos reserve the right to revoke the promo mile bonus if you cancel in some time period -- 6 months, a year, .... you would have to look at your promo mileage T&Cs. Normal miles earn from purchases should be safe.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *A Gold
Cool

You can ask to use part of your credit limits on you CO CC be transfered to your UA CC. Chase is generally open to this.

If the agent could not do this, ask to talk to a manager.

Question folks,

Old Apr 11, 2011, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CoolWiz
You can ask to use part of your credit limits on you CO CC be transfered to your UA CC. Chase is generally open to this.

If the agent could not do this, ask to talk to a manager.
Yeah, I tried this but she said it couldn't be done. Do you think calling another CSR or getting a supervisor would work?
Old Apr 11, 2011, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Yeah, I tried this but she said it couldn't be done. Do you think calling another CSR or getting a supervisor would work?
When I applied for the UA card, I had the same thing happen (was initially denied, Chase was not willing to split credit between my Freedom MC and a UA card, at my suggestion, and to boot, CSR claimed that this was not allowed with the new financial reform laws, which honestly, didn't make sense to me). Eventually was able to contact the "executive" credit card line, and this was exactly the solution they came up with. So it can be done, you may need to talk to the executive line though. Before you ask, unfortunately, I didn't keep the number, though in hindsight, realize I should have. D'oh!

As for the CO promo miles, they will probably be gone if you cancel within 6 months of getting the card. But check the T+C's to find out exactly what it is in your case.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 7:53 am

Programs: UA 2MM Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, and EVA Gold soon
Had open 2 Chase CC about 2 weeks apart Hyatt ($75 annual fee) and Continental (free the first year).
They approved the first card and deny the second.....too many applications and too many credit lines (UA, Marriott, PC as well).
Called and spoke to supervisor, she could not do anything..... includiing lowering my credit line for the other cards, so I asked if they could close my Hyatt (never used it) and apply the credit line to the Continental......that was OK.
Got my 1st time Continental sign up bonus^ .....Hyatt card closed, saved $75, but still got some of the sign-up bonuses!

Last edited by rerunree1; Apr 12, 2011 at 7:59 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.