Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Archived] Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Archived] Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2013, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by wcallaha
If you CPU on the 2nd leg of a trip does that get you into the UA club in your first city?

For example : DCA-> ORD -> MCI. I have a CPU ORD-> MCI.

Can I access UA club in ORD and DCA?

Thanks team!
No. As domestic F does not grant UA club access (p.s. BF is an exception).
Old Dec 23, 2013, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AS Gold75k, WN CP, Starwood Gold
I'm trying to an award booking SQ016 from ICN-SFO in April in Y. I see availability on ANA, Aeroplan, and Lifemiles, but when I call in to book it, they don't see any. Any advice?
Old Dec 23, 2013, 5:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by briansee
I'm trying to an award booking SQ016 from ICN-SFO in April in Y. I see availability on ANA, Aeroplan, and Lifemiles, but when I call in to book it, they don't see any. Any advice?
see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ing-13dec.html, similar reports
Old Dec 23, 2013, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I have such an unbelievably simple question that I figured I should just ask it here. (My ignorance as to the answer to this simple question makes me feel kinda dumb, but here goes.)

I have an award itinerary that is currently YUL-EWR-LAX in saver economy (12.5K). (My gf is on a separate, identical award reservation, which I won't be changing.) Ideally, I would like to do the trip with cash to get the miles, but flying from YUL costs elevendy billion dollars, and I'm willing to forego the 500 miles from that segment. So, I'd like to drop the EWR-LAX segment from my award ticket, and buy it with cash, ideally also receiving a credit of 2,500 miles. (YUL-EWR is a 10K saver ticket.)

Can I do this even though there is no remaining saver space on the YUL-EWR segment? It seems like the answer should be yes, but I realized that I don't really know for sure.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
So, I'd like to drop the EWR-LAX segment from my award ticket, and buy it with cash, ideally also receiving a credit of 2,500 miles. (YUL-EWR is a 10K saver ticket.)

Two thoughts:

1. Yes, as you're basically just dropping the last segment, and don't need availability to do that.

2. No, since what you are doing changes the award ticket code, and needs re-ticketing (and as there is no saver left...).

I tend to vote for the latter.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 7:49 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
I have such an unbelievably simple question that I figured I should just ask it here.
Hm, doesn't seem simple at all @:-)

Originally Posted by aacharya
Two thoughts:

1. Yes, as you're basically just dropping the last segment, and don't need availability to do that.

2. No, since what you are doing changes the award ticket code, and needs re-ticketing (and as there is no saver left...).

I tend to vote for the latter.
Seems to me you may be able to call in - perhaps even change reward reservation online, but methinks you won't get your 2.5K miles back.

If you try to purchase a revenue ticket without cancelling second portion of reward ticket you may end up with duplicate booking

And that could lead to an ugly development

Have you tried to modify reservation online? I would purchase revenue ticket first, and if you cannot change original reservation you would have 24 hours to cancel revenue ticket.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 10:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plt, Hilton Gold, BA Silver, GE
Originally Posted by alex_b
I usually use my card for the kiosk rather than fighting with the passport reader or typing in my confirmation number. However I agree the card is of little value.

To the OP - you are missing out on a bunch of drinks chits so you may wish to case, however you're probably too late now as we're so close to year end.
Just got my plt pkg and the 5 drink chits are good until Jan 31, 2015. I will assume the same dates for the 1K pkg with 10 drink chits whenever it arrives.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 8:17 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by GDaoV
Just got my plt pkg and the 5 drink chits are good until Jan 31, 2015. I will assume the same dates for the 1K pkg with 10 drink chits whenever it arrives.
Don't assume

After several phone calls still waiting for my 2013 package to arrive And yes, I did get the 2013 Plat package, as I was Gold in 2012.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 9:13 pm

Programs: United
exchange MileagePlus miles for gift cards?

My 455k miles are set to expire in April if I don't fly United before then. I couldn't find any way to transfer miles for gift cards. Any suggestions on what to do if I'm not looking to redeem for merchandise from their catalog or travel? I saw posts about PayPal but it sounds like that's not an option with United either.
Thanks!
Old Dec 24, 2013, 9:47 pm
Senior Moderator
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
manning8940, welcome to FlyerTalk!
You can register for MileagePlus Dining and, once your registration is effective, dine at a qualifying restaurant (many are casual dining). That'll extend your mileage expiry date. (Make sure that the points post to your account.)

Also, as this page from united.com shows, there are many other partners which offer bonus miles for shopping with them -- all beyond United's gift catalog.

http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/Mark...ay.aspx#dining
Old Dec 24, 2013, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by manning8940
My 455k miles are set to expire in April if I don't fly United before then. I couldn't find any way to transfer miles for gift cards. Any suggestions on what to do if I'm not looking to redeem for merchandise from their catalog or travel? ....
In addition to Ocn Vw 1K's suggestions, below is a thread with many ideas (long thread, so best to focus the 2012/2013 posts)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-merged.html
Old Dec 25, 2013, 5:35 am
RNE

Originally Posted by manning8940
My 455k miles are set to expire in April if I don't fly United before then. I couldn't find any way to transfer miles for gift cards. Any suggestions on what to do if I'm not looking to redeem for merchandise from their catalog or travel? I saw posts about PayPal but it sounds like that's not an option with United either.
Thanks!
While my learned fellows have offered you sage wisdom on how to extend the life of your many miles, this humble reader is unsure from your post ("not looking to redeem for...travel") you want to extend their life. After all, the overwhelming purpose of RDMs is to spend them on travel, and you don't want to do that. Therefore, I'll ask the question, Do you simply want to liquidate them?
Old Dec 25, 2013, 1:48 pm

Programs: *
simple upgrade question

Trying to get an upgrade on a transcon but all waitlisted. I am a 1K on an L fare. Currently five open seats in F and flight in the next week. Which of the following would have the highest priority in upgrade? 1) Waitlist with an RPU 2) Waitlist with 20,000 miles 3) Complimentary upgrade as 1K
Old Dec 25, 2013, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by ani90
Trying to get an upgrade on a transcon but all waitlisted. I am a 1K on an L fare. Currently five open seats in F and flight in the next week. Which of the following would have the highest priority in upgrade? 1) Waitlist with an RPU 2) Waitlist with 20,000 miles 3) Complimentary upgrade as 1K
#1 & #2 are the same and are higher than #3

see Upgrade confirmation priority for more
Old Dec 25, 2013, 1:56 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
#1 & #2 are the same and are higher than #3

see Upgrade confirmation priority for more
thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.