FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   The Penalty Box (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1200295-penalty-box.html)

carvalh2 Jul 1, 2011 11:31 am

I find myself looking for a "like" button on this site. :eek::rolleyes:

Hola, box classic 3.0

seacarl Jul 1, 2011 11:58 am

Had someone tell me at the gate yesterday, that when a plane is being serviced, that is called being "in the box". I've never heard that expression before - I've always thought it refers to the penalty box where you hold out of the way if your gate isn't open or you are having to wait for weather or ATC to take off. Is there a "box" to describe mechanical/MX?

sbm12 Jul 1, 2011 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by seacarl (Post 16657224)
SEA-PDX has decent train service, too.

Is it not still called the surfliner that far north? I guess not. I did mean to include that in the effective section, though a tad more speed would be nice. I did enjoy my ride on it back in November.

monitor Jul 1, 2011 5:49 pm

I don't know about the segments below Seattle but in the run from there to Vancouver, it is called the "Cascades," one of the most scenic train rides in the US.

snod08 Jul 1, 2011 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by carvalh2 (Post 16657613)
I find myself looking for a "like" button on this site. :eek::rolleyes:

Hola, box classic 3.0

I concur.

Driving by DCA Jul 1, 2011 8:05 pm

Howdy Classic Box.

Currently drinking some beer and waiting on a wrap before wrapping up myself for the evening.

Tomorrow I'm headed to AUA on US :eek: Four hours in coach on US is :td: but the fare was right at the last minute and the Westin was on Starpicks so overall it was a pretty :-: last minute trip.

jackal Jul 1, 2011 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by monitor (Post 16659157)
I don't know about the segments below Seattle but in the run from there to Vancouver, it is called the "Cascades," one of the most scenic train rides in the US.

Yup, it's the Cascades all the way from Vancouver to Eugene. The scenic part is from Olympia north to Vancouver (along the coast); south of Olympia, it's just trees and rolling hills and is just like any other corridor service.

The Surfliner's northern terminus is San Luis Obispo (note: Luis is pronounced by the non-Hispanic locals as Loo-Iss, not Loo-Ee; credentials for me to make this claim: I was born and raised there). It's equally scenic, too, as it makes its run between Ventura and San Luis Obispo along the California coast on Vandenberg Air Force Base; the southern portion (from about San Juan Capistrano to San Diego) is also along the coast and worth a ride.

The Coast Starlight is the once-daily long-distance train that shares trackage with the Cascades and Surfliner between Seattle and Los Angeles. It's most scenic on the portions shared with the Pacific Surfliner (Vandenberg Air Force Base) and the Cascades (Point Defiance), but it's also gorgeous as it winds through the Cascade Range in northern California and southern Oregon.

The other two west coast corridor services are efficient but not worth going out of your way for. The Capitol Corridor shares trackage with the Coast Starlight between San Jose and Sacramento but is mostly through cities and some farm country; the San Joaquins goes south into the hazy, dusty Central Valley through farms and ranches. Lots of beef there, too: the smells in the Valley can be somewhat unpleasant, too, if you get my drift. ;)

SFOTerry Jul 2, 2011 4:20 am

'morning b:rolleyes:x

bmg42000 Jul 2, 2011 5:59 am

Good morning box classic

Good morning box.

Trustguy Jul 2, 2011 7:01 am

Happy 4th birthday Box!

cheepneezy Jul 2, 2011 8:32 am

Originally Posted by Trustguy (Post 16660850)
Happy 4th birthday Box!

+1 :cool:

azcoyote Jul 2, 2011 8:35 am

/Salute

sdm1130 Jul 2, 2011 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by photog72 (Post 16647649)
Looking for VOIP recommendations for the home. I know about Vonage.. and I used to have Lingo a few years ago. Are there any other VOIP providers that come highly recommended? I tried these VOIP review sites, but they just seem biased toward providers I have not heard of before.

Really late on this one, but I've been using Phone Power for about a year and haven't had any issues.

If you are interested in trying them out, let me know and I can send you a referral. We'll both get a $10 credit.

sbm12 Jul 2, 2011 3:11 pm

Went hiking in Mabou, NS today and then on to a distillery for a tasting/tour. Other than the part where I slipped and fell on the trail and did some minor damage to myself it is an excellent day in Canadia.

photog72 Jul 2, 2011 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by sdm1130 (Post 16661871)
Really late on this one, but I've been using Phone Power for about a year and haven't had any issues.

If you are interested in trying them out, let me know and I can send you a referral. We'll both get a $10 credit.

Thanks sdm1130! Their rates are competitive. I'm trying to find out if I can port my AT&T land line # to them.