Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA expecting 787 delivery in early/mid-2012, on what routes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2011, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold

http://www.ausbt.com.au/united-hopes...early-mid-2012

Despite another delay for Boeing’s 787, with delivery of the Dreamliner now pushed back as far as September, United Airlines remains hopeful of introducing its first 787-8 into commercial service in the first half of next year.
The radical next-gen airliner will debut on a new non-stop route between Auckland and Houston – United’s first service in New Zealand, and one which is well-suited to the long-haul jetliner.
Have there been any reports of the other routes for the 787? Speculation is interesting and all, but wondering if there have been concrete reports of routes from UA/CO?
Old Jan 21, 2011, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd say likely candidates are any routes currently flown by 762s and 763s, as the 787-8 promises substantial fuel efficiency improvements over those airplanes. Oil is near $100/bbl now and has been trending higher for quite a while now.

I realize that this goes against lots of airwhiners.net fantasy that 787s will be used exclusively for new ultra-longhaul routes, but the reality (IMO) is that most 787s will replace less efficient airplanes as fuel costs climb higher and higher. Unemployment is still high here and as as our economy and the worldwide economies recover, oil will probably get more expensive, not less expensive.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Perhaps IAH-LOS/ACC?

If we aren't doing the AKL route at that point, I could see it on the above route. If not, perhaps they would test it on ORD-TLV?
Old Jan 21, 2011, 11:04 am

Was anyone else surprised to read in the release that it's just a 2-cabin aircraft?

I know there's been speculation about moving the entire fleet to a 2-cabin layout, but this would seem to confirm that indeed is the direction the 'new' United is headed.

But, maybe I'm late to the party and this is already well known by the collective here.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 11:09 am

Programs: DL PM,UA MP(former 1K), Hertz 5*G, National Emerald Club, SPG, Marriott Silver
These are the purchases continental made, not united in a later RFP, so not a surprise that they are 2 class, as they are really continental birds.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
United’s 25 787-8 Dreamliners will sport a simple two-class configuration, with 36 flat-bed seats in the business cabin and 192 seats in economy

Only 36? Look for much harder opportunities to use SWUs.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by UpgradeMePlz
These are the purchases continental made, not united in a later RFP, so not a surprise that they are 2 class, as they are really continental birds.
Ah, makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up.

Considering the size is just a touch larger than the 767, which has 32 premium seats, I think that 36 is a similar ratio.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 11:21 am

Programs: AC SE, BA silver
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies

United's current 767 and 747 have a proportion of C seats to Y seats of 0.17. On the reconverted 777 it is 0.18. The proportion on the 787 will be slightly higher than either: 0.19. This will be somewhat offset by the fact that there will be no F on the 787, but basically it's the same C/Y seat proportion as in the current fleet.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 11:46 am

Programs: United MP 1p, PC Ambassador, GP Platinum
Originally Posted by Cohall
Was anyone else surprised to read in the release that it's just a 2-cabin aircraft?

I know there's been speculation about moving the entire fleet to a 2-cabin layout, but this would seem to confirm that indeed is the direction the 'new' United is headed.

But, maybe I'm late to the party and this is already well known by the collective here.
Purchases were originally CO two class aircraft, probably didn't make sense to try to change them to three class considering that NZ only uses two cabin, albeit with a dedicated Premium Economy space.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IADtoWhere
Purchases were originally CO two class aircraft, probably didn't make sense to try to change them to three class considering that NZ only uses two cabin, albeit with a dedicated Premium Economy space.
I would caution against relying on one unattributed sentence in an Australian business travel newsletter as the definitive last word on whether United's new airplanes will be two class or three class (or even four class) when the airline's management has yet to make such an announcement. The article merely says:

United’s 25 787-8 Dreamliners will sport a simple two-class configuration, with 36 flat-bed seats in the business cabin and 192 seats in economy.
That's right out a prior press release and does not conclusively establish the airplanes' configuration when it begins flying.

Changing a 787 from two-class to three class can probably be done in a matter of days as so much of the interior is modular and can be moved around to suit the airline's specs. AA has changed the configuration of its 767s back and forth between two class and three class over the years - UA can certainly outfit these airplanes as management sees fit, and those decisions aren't locked in by prior CO management decisions.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iwillflytheworld
United's current 767 and 747 have a proportion of C seats to Y seats of 0.17. On the reconverted 777 it is 0.18. The proportion on the 787 will be slightly higher than either: 0.19. This will be somewhat offset by the fact that there will be no F on the 787, but basically it's the same C/Y seat proportion as in the current fleet.
Even though the 767s only have 26 seats, they are doing much shorter runs.

IAH-AKL is 74XX miles, and with only 36 seats, that is a big reduction, compared to the 52 C seats that the 747 offers.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA EXP, VS (silver-for-life revoked), DL, WN, AS, Hilton diamond, Marriott gold
Originally Posted by FWAAA
I would caution against relying on one unattributed sentence in an Australian business travel newsletter as the definitive last word on whether United's new airplanes will be two class or three class (or even four class) when the airline's management has yet to make such an announcement.
UA can certainly outfit these airplanes as management sees fit, and those decisions aren't locked in by prior CO management decisions.
+1
Old Jan 21, 2011, 3:20 pm
Suspended

Since IAH is going to be the first 787 crew base, expect to see them on routes ex-IAH, though I wouldn't be surprised to see ORD, SFO, and LAX get a few, too. I'd also love to see them do DEN-NRT.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 3:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by FWAAA
UA can certainly outfit these airplanes as management sees fit, and those decisions aren't locked in by prior CO management decisions.
Agreed, but odds of them being delivered as 3-class are very close to zero IMO. Long thin routes rarely have F demand anyways and expecting the whole international fleet to have F going forward is likely a misguided assumption.

The real risk with the 36/192 numbers is what they mean for E+. The initial config spec has BF in the forward space and for a couple rows behind 2L/R. From there to 3L/R is 31" pitch 3/3/3 Y and then the back section is 32" pitch. The 192 number would have to drop for E+ to show up.

I believe that will happen, much more easily than pulling BF for F, but it hasn't been made official yet.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Arrow this is bad

Originally Posted by iwillflytheworld
This CO 787 configuration is bad.

Look at the percentages of F/C/E+/Y seats of 747/767/777 of current UA plane configuration.

---- F -- C -- E+ -- E-

747 3% 14% 19% 64%

767 3% 14% 39% 44%

777 3% 15% 39% 43%

Proposed 787 configuration has 36 C seats and 192 Y seats by CO

----- C --- Y
787 15.8% 84.2%

Since 787 has no E+, with less premium seats and less good Y seats, it will be a very long 15 hour flight ride in Y if 787 flies to HKG/SYD.

I am not a fan of CO's uncomfortable, 31" pitch economy class seats.

We can only hope that E+ can be added if SMI/J is listening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.