Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "I Need XXX EQM/EQS by Year End" Thread - 2011 Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2011, 5:56 pm
Senior Moderator
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.

As our previous thread on the subject was started in 2007 and is now 144 pages, time to start a new one for 2011.

For reference, the older thread, now closed, may be found here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ce-merged.html

Ocn Vw 1K, for the United forum moderators.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 5:13 pm

How to hit 1K on my own nickel?

I am depressed.

I have been a 1K for 8 years in a row, flying on business. Well I got a new job and will only fly about 30,000 miles this year.

I can't stand the idea of not being 1K. Heck, I'm passing one million miles this year!

Any great idea on cost effective ways to get 50 or 70,000 EQM's this year?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 23, 2011 at 5:20 pm Reason: moved into existing thread (see link for more ideas)
Old Mar 23, 2011, 5:19 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Ohhh, yes, I have a good one. Just keep the Mileage Run Forum checked each and every day.

I am a self made AA Executive Platinum (second year in a row, Platinum before for 3 years in a row) and have always made mileage runs and have always used the DEQM (double elite qualifying miles) promo to gain it.

Also, the Expedia mistake of november and december (free trips) helped me reach 100,000 qualifying miles.

So, my advice is to start making those Mileage Runs. It also helps to live in a city with cheap fares, like Miami Area, New York Area or Los Angeles Area, where you can do a couple of transcons for less than $200 USD all in and get to 100,000 mark.

By the way, I have always wanted a job that requires to fly a lot, but I usually get the jobs that don´t, LOL.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA 1P, HH Silver
tagging this thread.... will ideas this year to even get to 1P
Old Mar 23, 2011, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Albert
I am depressed.

I have been a 1K for 8 years in a row, flying on business. Well I got a new job and will only fly about 30,000 miles this year.

I can't stand the idea of not being 1K. Heck, I'm passing one million miles this year!

Any great idea on cost effective ways to get 50 or 70,000 EQM's this year?
Read the Mileage Runs Deals forum! I booked two 15K EQMs runs for $233 a/i per itin

Lot's of good deals over there. I'll earn 30K EQMs from those runs.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 7:53 pm

Location: Scarsdale, NY USA; LT PLT AA; AA 3 mm (4 mm will never happen); Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver, AA is clueless why I fly
Short MR Advice Sought

I was Premier but failed to requalify this past year. UA offered me a MR, needing 10,000 miles in 90 days. With all of my planned travel by the deadline (late May), I am 681 miles short. Have to fly on UA (or CO) metal. No codeshares.

I live in the New York area so any of the airports (LGA, JFK, HPN, EWR) would be OK. I have checked schedules but cannot come up with a reasonably priced RT flight that is at least 350 miles each way. Any suggestions?
Old Apr 23, 2011, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
How much longer do you have to get the remaining miles? Any chance you could do EWR-PWM?
Old Apr 23, 2011, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
A few

Same day turns in May:
EWR-BOS $98+tax most days
EWR-MIA $216+tax some weekdays/weekends
LGA-IAD-CLT-IAD-LGA $128+tax Tuesdays

SunLover
Old Apr 23, 2011, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
a basic LGA-ORD r/t can go for as little as $200 and change if you catch the dates right and book far enough out
Old Apr 24, 2011, 1:58 am

Location: Scarsdale, NY USA; LT PLT AA; AA 3 mm (4 mm will never happen); Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver, AA is clueless why I fly
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
How much longer do you have to get the remaining miles? Any chance you could do EWR-PWM?
I have until late May (28th, I think). Will check that one out along with others suggested. Of course for a lousy 681 miles, I would prefer not flying too far or making too many connections. But since I really don't want to pay a fortune, I might just do something like the routes suggested.

Thanks everyone.^

Originally Posted by SunLover
Same day turns in May:
EWR-BOS $98+tax most days
EWR-MIA $216+tax some weekdays/weekends
LGA-IAD-CLT-IAD-LGA $128+tax Tuesdays

SunLover
EWR-BOS is only 400 miles. Will still be 281 short. Thanks

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 24, 2011 at 11:12 am Reason: merge
Old Apr 24, 2011, 7:01 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Lightbulb Here is an idea

Originally Posted by jaynyc
EWR-BOS is only 400 miles. Will still be 281 short. Thanks
Do it twice... Same day easily done.

SunLover
Old May 22, 2011, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; Bonvoy Titanium; most other FF programs...
Question Help! Need 245 EQM (BIS) in next 5 days!

Looking for CHEAPEST same day return on UA or CO from LAX or BUR to get me the needed 245 EQM as part of a 1K challenge. I can fly this Tues, Weds or Thurs.

I stupidly miscalculated (I had a Invol DB which netted me an F class rebook, which gave me bonus miles which don't count!)

Any suggestions?

Saw a LAX-AUS trip for $298... can anyone do any better?
Old May 22, 2011, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
$151 for LAX-CLD, then take Surfliner back, is an option.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K
Need Help With Routing To Re-Earn 2P!

Hello,

At the end of August I am leaving for college and may not be able to fly for the rest of the year. Currently, I am 3,466 miles short of re-earning my 2P status for next year and I would really like to try to make up those miles on my (RNO-BOS) one way trip to school. Unfortunately, a more conventional 2stop routing will at best leave me approx. 300 EQM short of 25k (RNO-LAX-IAH-BOS). Does anyone have advice on how I could re-earn 2P status? Mileage run maybe?

Thanks,

UATulip
Old Jul 27, 2011, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, National Exec. Elite, Hilton Gold, GE
300 EQM is very small. You can do a small (albeit expensive, 5CPM+) run down to SoCal and that will do the trick.

Or if you are a betting man: UA has been known to grant you status if you are very close to the goal. A little fairy told me that this threshold is 2% of the miles needed, so 2% of 25000 = 500. You are within that threshold, but it's up to UA to grant it.

If you decide to take the latter option, be prepared to make a phone call and get UA to manually change status for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.