Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything you wanted to know about where to sit on a United Express CRJ-200

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 28, 2013, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
  • This plane has two seats on each side of the cabin and a single aisle.
  • Carry-on space is very limited; most roll-aboard luggage will need to be gate-checked.
  • The aisle armrests of the non-window seats can be raised to allow for a little more room.
  • The exit row seats (Row 8), marketed as Preferred Seating, do not have any significant amount of additional pitch and there is no arm rest next to the window.
    • On a small number of aircraft the rows are number 1-12, 14 and exit row is row 8
  • Row 1 is marketed as Preferred Seating Economy Plus, however there is no significant amount of additional pitch. The bulkhead at this row means limited space to stretch your legs compared to other rows, and there is little overhead space available.
  • Row 2-5 are marketed as Preferred Seating blocked for elites, but are standard pitch -- no extra leg space
Aerolopa: https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-bombardier-cr2
Print Wikipost

Everything you wanted to know about where to sit on a United Express CRJ-200

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2018, 11:27 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by cheaptom
I want to valet check my carryon bag at the gate because I know it wont fit overhead for the first leg of my trip. But I need my bag for the the layover and for the second leg. Does the offer to valet check a bag (where they tag your bag and I pick it up after the first leg) vs. Gate Check come from the airline, the airport, the mood of the baggage handlers? Can I find out in advance?
You can valet-check on any United Express flight. Only strollers, walkers, wheelchairs, car-seats, etc. are valet-checked on United mainline flights.

The United Express valet-check tag is a green tag.

The term "gate-check" is often used to indicate any bag check at the gate and is not necessarily exclusive to valet-check or regular check-bag procedures.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by LarryJ
You can valet-check on any United Express flight. Only strollers, walkers, wheelchairs, car-seats, etc. are valet-checked on United mainline flights.

The United Express valet-check tag is a green tag.

The term "gate-check" is often used to indicate any bag check at the gate and is not necessarily exclusive to valet-check or regular check-bag procedures.
Yes, for years I called it "gate-check" in error, and they would check my bag all the way through. I definitely prefer valet check, and I ask for it correctly nowadays.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 3:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cheaptom
Yes, for years I called it "gate-check" in error, and they would check my bag all the way through. I definitely prefer valet check, and I ask for it correctly nowadays.
An easier way to remember
Green tagged items will be returned to you at the gate.
White tagged items will be at the destination carousel

Generally, mainline will only do green tags for items like strollers, baby seats, walkers, wheelchairs, ... Standard luggage that will not fit in OHB or no OHB space available will be white tagged,
Generally, UX will green tag standard carryon and might on request do white tags.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Generally, mainline will only do green tags for items like strollers, baby seats, walkers, wheelchairs, ....
I think I recall seeing pink tags in this situation.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 8:52 pm
formerly FrequentFlyKid

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive Elite
Row 1 - is the tray table in the armrest? Is the aisle armrest moveable?
Old Apr 13, 2018, 9:12 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by In The 216
Row 1 - is the tray table in the armrest? Is the aisle armrest moveable?
Yes. and yes.
Old May 18, 2018, 10:41 am

Row 3 on CRJ200 ?

Am going to take a flight from DEN to BOI on a UAL Skywest CRJ200. I notice that row 3 seats always seem to be available. Any known reason for this?
Thanks
Old May 18, 2018, 10:53 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by TJR9999
Am going to take a flight from DEN to BOI on a UAL Skywest CRJ200. I notice that row 3 seats always seem to be available. Any known reason for this?
Thanks
Row 3 on CRJ200

Row 1 is exit row, so Elite Pax or pay extra. Rows 2 and 3 are also Elite or pay extra because they are closer to the door.

My educated guess is that there are so few Elites flying these monstrosities (OK, have a flight on one of them Sunday ) that only Rows 1 and 2 get picked, and 3 is left empty as kettles may only select 4 and higher @:-)
Old May 18, 2018, 11:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Row 3 on CRJ200
Rows 2 and 3 are also Elite or pay extra because they are closer to the door.
Because your best strategy on this aircraft is board as late as you can, and exit as fast as you can.
c502cid and Kmxu like this.
Old May 18, 2018, 11:51 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Yes, row 1 is considered "Economy Plus" (LOLOLOLOLOL). Rows 2 and 3 are blocked for elites as 'preferred' (LOLOLOLOLOLOL) seats. Row 8 (on Skywest and Air Wisconsin, I thin another operator uses a different numbering system) is the exit row. It's no better than any other row, but they're blocked from elites, but some weird exceptions sometimes, and I think they're up for anyone's grabs at check-in (which also sucks in and of itself).

I'm probably in the top 1% of flyers on this POS. (I mean bottom 1%...I surely don't 'win' anything except squished thighs/shoulders, backaches and a few lumps on my head by standing while being absentminded at the same time). My calculations exceed 1000 segments on this abomination in the 17 years since 'real' United left my airport. And because SkyWest runs my home airport's routes at risk (they set the schedule and control the revenue, and are thereby limited to 50-seat aircraft), I'm still stuck with more and more CRJs for at least the next several years.
Old May 18, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Row 3 on CRJ200

Row 1 is exit row, so Elite Pax or pay extra. Rows 2 and 3 are also Elite or pay extra because they are closer to the door.

My educated guess is that there are so few Elites flying these monstrosities (OK, have a flight on one of them Sunday ) that only Rows 1 and 2 get picked, and 3 is left empty as kettles may only select 4 and higher @:-)
Technically, row 1 is not considered an Exit row since you don't have to certify that you are physically able to deal with an Exit row seat. That would be Row 8 in the planes that I need to escape my small city. And, unfortunately for me, I'm part of the group of 1Ks that are forced to take this plane often. Row 1 is just labelled as Economy + which kind of guarantees that I will get seat 1B when I book my flights.

Originally Posted by Kacee
Because your best strategy on this aircraft is board as late as you can, and exit as fast as you can.
If you are like me in seat 1B, your best strategy is to board early so you have space in the overhead to put your small briefcase. Exit as fast as possible, I agree with that concept if the weather is good. If it's -10F, your best hope is if they decide to take the green-tagged luggage to the terminal and not have you wait for it in the jetway.

Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
Yes, row 1 is considered "Economy Plus" (LOLOLOLOLOL). Rows 2 and 3 are blocked for elites as 'preferred' (LOLOLOLOLOLOL) seats. Row 8 (on Skywest and Air Wisconsin, I thin another operator uses a different numbering system) is the exit row. It's no better than any other row, but they're blocked from elites, but some weird exceptions sometimes, and I think they're up for anyone's grabs at check-in (which also sucks in and of itself).
Seat 1B (and in some of the planes seat 1C has a lot of space in front of your legs). I always try to get seat 1B for that reason. And I'm beginning to suspect that every FTer that says that seat 1B is not good is trying to keep that seat as the best kept secret...... Row 8 has a little extra space. Since I'm 1K and my wife who books her tickets on her own when we are traveling together is Platinum, I did not know that they are blocked for elites until check-in. Something new I learned today.
Old May 18, 2018, 1:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
If you are like me in seat 1B, your best strategy is to board early so you have space in the overhead to put your small briefcase.
A legit strategy, except personally I'd rather be last one on the plane and just put my backpack under the seat in front of me. Thus row 2 would be my preference. If you're taller, this may not be a preferred strategy.

I rarely choose bulkheads these days because I don't like to have to worry about getting overhead space.
Old May 18, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Kacee
A legit strategy, except personally I'd rather be last one on the plane and just put my backpack under the seat in front of me. Thus row 2 would be my preference. If you're taller, this may not be a preferred strategy.

I rarely choose bulkheads these days because I don't like to have to worry about getting overhead space.
This is my strategy on this fine plane as well. Whatever you do, do not pick row 1A or 1D as those are some of the worst seats on the plane. I prefer row 2 isle as well because I'm taller and window seats are also terrible in this plane. The only problem with going the row 2 strategy is that if the plane isn't full and everyone picked seats at the front you might be asked to move back. Not really that big of a deal I guess as all seats (besides 1A/D) seem to be roughly the same to me.

An E170/175 feels like a widebody after flying on one of these things!
Old Dec 1, 2018, 1:12 pm

CRJ200 3rd row seating question.

I notice the 3rd row of the CRJ200 is usually open until the flight approaches full booking. Is there some reason this row appears to be undesirable?
Thanks
Old Dec 1, 2018, 2:10 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by TJR9999
I notice the 3rd row of the CRJ200 is usually open until the flight approaches full booking. Is there some reason this row appears to be undesirable?
Thanks
I think all rows are undesirable on the CR2, but I digress.

I had 3A a couple weeks ago from SDF-ORD and it was fine

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.