Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Halfway to Hawaii Contest ... [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Halfway to Hawaii Contest ... [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2003, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
friendly bump...
Old Mar 18, 2003, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

9V SMU asks:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Which aircraft was used for the first ever SFO-HNL flight back in 1947? How long did it take?</font>
A DC-6.

See:

http://www.ual.com/page/article/0,,2739,00.html
Old May 9, 2003, 7:57 am

Any recent winners?
Old May 9, 2003, 11:41 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LIH Prem:

Have we all forgotten why "halfway to Hawaii" is so important to the flight crew?

Think about it.

-David
</font>
When I listen to Channel 9 flying into Hawaii, soon after we depart the ATC will ask the pilot/co-pilot for what I have always assumed to be the time the flight is estimated to arrive at the waypoint in which it would be closer to fly on to Hawaii than turn back in case of an in-flight emergency (go/no-go). I forget the term used by ATC, but the aircrew always answers with a time that is expressed in Zulu.

I use that time as a validator to my guesses, but I have never won using it exactly.

I actually won it once when I was flying as someone else (back in the good old days) which caused for some sheepish grins from me when they announced the winner's name and seat and then some of his friends came by to congratulate him. (Of course I submitted the entry under the name that was on the ticket)

[This message has been edited by FlyinHawaiian (edited 05-09-2003).]
Old May 9, 2003, 4:31 pm

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I am pleased to report that my four year old won (well, came in second) last month on our flight from LAX to OGG. My wife actually did the calculations and guessing. I do not believe that the announced answer could be arrived at using basic algebra with the information given (I thought we'd saved the spreadsheet on the laptop, but we didn't). The announced answer was within a minute and a half of the "simple" answer, which is basically adding half the flying time to the takeoff time.
Old Jun 2, 2003, 12:12 pm
Original Member

Location: Chattanooga, TN, USA**US Airways Gold, Marriott Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FlyinHawaiian:
When I listen to Channel 9 flying into Hawaii, soon after we depart the ATC will ask the pilot/co-pilot for what I have always assumed to be the time the flight is estimated to arrive at the waypoint in which it would be closer to fly on to Hawaii than turn back in case of an in-flight emergency (go/no-go). I forget the term used by ATC, but the aircrew always answers with a time that is expressed in Zulu.

I use that time as a validator to my guesses, but I have never won using it exactly.
</font>
That only works if your departure airport is on the coast, for obvious reasons. No good if you're flying via Denver.
Old Jun 2, 2003, 11:00 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FlyinHawaiian:
When I listen to Channel 9 flying into Hawaii, soon after we depart the ATC will ask the pilot/co-pilot for what I have always assumed to be the time the flight is estimated to arrive at the waypoint in which it would be closer to fly on to Hawaii than turn back in case of an in-flight emergency (go/no-go). [This message has been edited by FlyinHawaiian (edited 05-09-2003).]</font>
ATC is asking for the estimate for the "coast out" point. It's actually not that far off the west coast, and is the first compulsary reporting point. It doesn't correspond to the midpoint.

Old Jul 18, 2003, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's the newest Halfway To Hawaii form:

http://members.aol.com/premex/upload...way2hawaii.jpg

If you should win, you'll even need even more luck to receive your bottle of "Champagne."
Old Dec 6, 2003, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Are they still plying this game? Anybody won recently?

Phil
Old Dec 7, 2003, 3:50 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum 1MM, HH Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by philemer:

Phil
</font>
They've played it on like everyone of the 14 mainland-to-HNL flights I've taken this year, including the 30 Nov DEN-HNL trip I took last week. I've never won, but that's probably because I've never played.
Old Dec 7, 2003, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by philemer:

Phil</font>
Did this to and from Hawaii a month or so ago. I was WAYYYYY off.

------------------
~ Glen ~ sipping bubbly from a UA 747-400 exit row 15 near you SOON!
Old Dec 7, 2003, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Glen,
Do you remember whether the correct answer was higher or lower than one half the actual flight time? I've never been close either.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ozstamps:
Did this to and from Hawaii a month or so ago. I was WAYYYYY off.

</font>
Old Mar 9, 2004, 1:07 pm

We flew to Hawaii for Thanksgiving, and they did have this contest. They added a new twist to it though. After they announced the winner, they announced a new category - the weakest link prize, for the guess the farthest off! The prize actually went to my Mom and was another bottle of champaigne. In her defense, she had just traveled from the East Coast and got the time zones mixed up
Old Mar 9, 2004, 7:47 pm
Liz

Programs: MP
We have sponsors coming up for the game (Hilo Hattie and Mauna Loa) and new prizes also.
Old Mar 10, 2004, 12:15 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K 3MM
The contest is now sponsored by Hilo Hattie and Mauna Loa. You win a gift basket of Mauna Loa products for 1st prize and lesser amounts of Mauna Loa products. There is also a coupon for a free packet of mac nuts at Hilo Hatties with qualifying purchase. I think it is $10, but I can't remember since I only glanced at the form yesterday.

You can't miss the form since it's now a glossy and colorful form. Too bad I'm allergic to mac nuts!!

TF

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.