Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Halfway to Hawaii Contest ... [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Halfway to Hawaii Contest ... [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2009, 6:14 am

Programs: AirTran GM, Spirit $9 fare club, WN Rapid Rewards, Allegiant priority boarding, USA3000, DirectAir
Halfway to Hawaii - Now Illegal?

Hello,

I am wondering if the "halfway to Hawaii" game that United puts on for passengers will now be ruled illegal by the TSA?

The game will basically encourage passengers to calculate where they are in relation to the United States - something that is now prohibited?
Old Dec 27, 2009, 6:19 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by InPhrequentFlyer
Hello,

I am wondering if the "halfway to Hawaii" game that United puts on for passengers will now be ruled illegal by the TSA?

The game will basically encourage passengers to calculate where they are in relation to the United States - something that is now prohibited?
They'll still have the game - they just can't tell you if anyone won.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 6:25 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, United Silver, National Exec
They'll still have the game - they just can't tell you if anyone won.

Actually, in this PC world EVERYBODY won... You just have to sit through a Hilton Vacation Club pitch in order to receive your "free" rinky dink CD of offbeat Hawaiian music.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by Brasila
For those of us who live in Hawaii it should be banned because it is so haole. It would be so nice if UA played "Halfway to the Mainland" or "Halfway to Dubuque" or even "Halfway to Frankfurt" to take care of their discriminatory nature.
Your assertion is absurd. Race has nothing to do with this game. People are excited about visiting Hawaii and it's just a simple game to pass the time.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 7:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Platinum, others
Hello,

Nah, Hawaii is still a domestic destination.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ExPlat,EX-UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat,
Fun Game

Originally Posted by djlndc
Your assertion is absurd. Race has nothing to do with this game. People are excited about visiting Hawaii and it's just a simple game to pass the time.
Hope they do not take this game out, it was fun and won twice already!!! free mac nuts.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 8:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Exec, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Plat Elite
We may actually have the TSA to thank for keeping this game alive. Hopefully at some point united will fly newer planes on this route, then it would have been "watch the screen" for the midpoint.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 8:11 am

Programs: SPG Plat
For those of us who live in Hawaii it should be banned because it is so haole. It would be so nice if UA played "Halfway to the Mainland" or "Halfway to Dubuque" or even "Halfway to Frankfurt" to take care of their discriminatory nature.
LOL... Never would think it's "so haole"
But agree it should be played on different vacation routes (not sure I would personaly define that as Frankfort though).
Old Dec 27, 2009, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by AZjohns
LOL... Never would think it's "so haole"
But agree it should be played on different vacation routes (not sure I would personaly define that as Frankfort though).
Frankfurt, Germany I think was the original post. Frankfort, Kentucky? Not so much.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 1:38 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Priority Club
(Slightly) paraphrasing Braveheart: "They can take our lives, but they'll never take our Halfway to Hawaii!!!"
Old Dec 27, 2009, 1:51 pm
In Memoriam, Original Member

Originally Posted by karung99
... free mac nuts.
Mac nuts. Ugg. I keep trying to get them to convert back to Champagne. As a GS, I got them to do it but it really did not matter as in the last 5 or so years "Champagne" means a $3 bottle of swill.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
I went to Maui a week ago and we still played the game. I don't know why anyone would care either way - it's just a way to kill time.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 2:59 pm

Your assuming that people are not excited about visiting Dubuque.....now that really is an absurd assumption
I think you may be confused? I made reference to the absurd racial comment, not any destination.

I actually would prefer to keep this a Hawaiian flights only game so that when I bring my "mainland" money to spend in your State, I have something to do during the flight.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA(1k)/AA/NW/HHonors Diamond/Priority Club Gold/Golden Circle
Your assuming that people are not excited about visiting Dubuque.....now that really is an absurd assumption
I wonder how United would go about doing a promotion for Dubuque. Mainline doesn't go there; I think it's just Skywest out of ORD.

What could you give away, to all the haoles, by predicting the halfway time on the 30 minute flight between Chicago and Dubuque--corn? radon test kits (it's supposedly a good place to live)? a Loras College tee shirt? tickets to the Dubuque Symphony? Possibilities are endless.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 3:33 pm

Hello,

No. However, in order to thwart terrorist plots, all passengers should be hogtied & forced to wear blindfolds and soundproof headphones. Otherwise, our very way of life might be Menaced From Within.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.