Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Halfway to Hawaii Contest ... [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Halfway to Hawaii Contest ... [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2009, 11:20 am

Programs: Alaska MVP, AirTran Elite, Hertz Gold, Radisson Gold Elite
You can also cheat and use Flightaware and track your flight for a few days and see the actual flight time :-) :-)
Old Jul 5, 2009, 5:58 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by AlohaNorge
HA "NF" is not worth the 25k miles since that is more than the "discounted award" 1-way trans-pac of 17.5k. The service is a bit better than UA, but the FA's do disappear as soon as the meal is over. I used to upgrade on HA for 15k miles, but 25k is a bit steep for me. They do offer Pualani's the option to purchase a discounted upgrade for cash if available, but sometimes those can also be over $300...
So basically, you're going back to flying transpac coach, mostly on HA? Not sure how that's better than E+. (and exit rows, as your profile indicates you are 1P)

Originally Posted by HeleFlyer
You can also cheat and use Flightaware and track your flight for a few days and see the actual flight time :-) :-)
How does that help you find the geographical midpoint time? I suppose you could watch it and note the time that distance 'down' and 'to go' are equal. Probably get you as close as doing equations.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by fadeforward
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Huge thumbs up to the revival, if true. Little things matter, UA.
Yes...the UA flights to Hawaii have seemed more conventional as of late... with all the Hawaiian ambiance of a flight to Boston--especially the ones of the west coast it seems. UA used to be pretty good about it too....let's hope things like this continue.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 7:56 am

Programs: Premier
I'm looking forward to playing in October for my Honeymoon.

Mmmm. Mai Tais!!

Last edited by alberp; Jul 28, 2009 at 8:30 am
Old Jul 6, 2009, 10:19 am

Programs: UA 1K-MM
Originally Posted by Pat89339
The entry form comes with $10 off coupons:
My flight didn't have entry forms (they said they weren't loaded), which is one of the reasons I wasn't sure if it was really back or just something the captain was doing.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 10:43 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Actually I was mildly concerned that my flight wouldn't have the game, because normally the Halfway Game form is with the Agricultural form on the seat when you board. There was only the AG card. During the announcements after takeoff the purser mentioned the Halfway Game and said that they would be distributing the entry forms.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA 1P, HH, SPG
Originally Posted by Lightman7
I just flew lax-ogg and they ran the half way to Hawaii game. I asked the FA if the pilot was just doing this on his own, but she said it is starting back up as of today. Anyone else encounter this? It definitely wasn't on my flight last month.
I flew from LAX-OGG last december and had the game on. I actually won... wrote my answer down... fell asleep and woke up with people congratulating me and 3 boxes of macadamian nuts! ha! not bad!

But flew DEN-OGG a couple of weeks ago, and did not have the game on, sadly.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 2:44 pm

Halfway to Hawaii

When I flew out to Hawaii last Thanksgiving break I was with my family of 6. I, being 16, spent a few minutes doing the simple math, and I put down my time and went to sleep. My sister changed my time a bit and put it on her card, and my mom did the same. They ended up winning 1st and 2nd, I was a few seconds off of 3rd.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA1K 3MM, AS MVP 75K Gold
Just flew LAX-HNL last night and it's back. Didn't play, though.
Old Jul 26, 2009, 8:06 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Welcome to Flyertalk krisziel!
Old Sep 3, 2009, 2:02 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
SFGate has a belated blog post about the return of the game.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 2:56 am

Programs: UA1K 3MM, AS MVP 75K Gold
The game is back and Trader Vic's food will be back in a few weeks.

Still not the greatest FC product but . . .
Old Nov 3, 2009, 9:33 pm

Programs: United 1K Million Mile flyer, Hertz Presidents Circle, Hyatt Gold Passport Diamond member, Marriott
halfway to hawaii game

I fly ORD-HNL a couple of times a year and I always lose at this game. Can anyone explain to me what are the proper calculations to figure out the right time to win? Has anybobody here won this game? Thanks.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 9:40 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
try
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...d-threads.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...waii-back.html
Old Nov 3, 2009, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA1K 1MM
Originally Posted by David5885
I fly ORD-HNL a couple of times a year and I always lose at this game. Can anyone explain to me what are the proper calculations to figure out the right time to win? Has anybobody here won this game? Thanks.
Basically it's do the math and then guess a "windage" factor. The pilots give you best available data at time of takeoff but the headwind / tailwind data may be, and usually is, quite different from reality experienced during the flight.

So just calculate the best answer you can using math and then guess how much reality will differ.

CB

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.