Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated NRT connection time / logistics

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2016, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Consolidated NRT connection time / logistics

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2011, 11:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
I made my flight yesterday. I was given a comp upgrade from Y -> C on ANA (No idea why, I didn't ask for it), so I was one of the first people off the plane. I took a look at my watch when I was on the jetway and then again when I had gone down the escalator and was back in the terminal. It was a total of 9 minutes, most of which was walking time.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA, AS, FA
Question about connection times at Narita

Hi Folks!
Just have a quick question about connection times at Narita Airport. What is the minimum amount of time you would need for a connection? More specifically, arriving from a flight from North America and connecting to another flight continuing on to another city in Asia? I understand that you have to clear customs first and then I'm assuming security again. Thanks for your help!

Creekjumper

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 20, 2011 at 3:54 pm Reason: moved into existing thread
Old Sep 20, 2011, 3:32 pm

You don't have to clear customs but do have to go through internal security (not the same security as passengers arriving by ground to NRT).

There's a long thread on the Delta forum on NRT layovers, some are scheduled as short as 45 minutes.

I wouldn't be comfortable with anything less than an hour. I've been held up at very long security lines making connection to/from SIN flights. Note there are multiple security checkpoints at NRT terminal 1 and someone may know how to get to the other one (I seem to recall it was up/down some stairs).

Of course if you are flying CO 777s in economy, even a long, slow security line is like heaven compared to those torture seats.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA, AS, FA
Thanks for the info, I believe I have 90 minutes, flying into NRT on AC and then switching to UA/CO going on to TPE. Now can I go straight to the gate, or do I actually need to exit and go to the UA/CO desk to check in? Thanks.

Creek
Old Nov 5, 2011, 6:17 am

Programs: UA 1k
35 minute connection in NRT?

I was just reviewing my booked trip and noticed that the flight time has changed. My connection time is now only 35 minutes in NRT. Is this possible? Connecting from UA881>UA07
Old Nov 5, 2011, 6:29 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
That certainly seems a connection that is under the minimum; are you booked under a single PNR? What class of service are you flying in UA881?
Old Nov 5, 2011, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
That certainly seems a connection that is under the minimum; are you booked under a single PNR? What class of service are you flying in UA881?
Yes, under one PNR. Flying F on UA881.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 12:46 am

Spoke with a reservations agent and she told me it was a legal connection. I sure hope we make it.....
Old Dec 10, 2011, 3:40 am

Programs: most of them
Tight connection at NRT, will UA wait?

I have an F award booked (via Aeroplan) that connects at NRT. I arrive on TG676 (scheduled for 15:50, but typically runs 10-15 minutes late) and connect to UA804 which is scheduled to depart at 16:40. MCT for NRT is supposed to be 45 minutes, so it's a legal connection even though the Aeroplan rep was skeptical. I know I have to clear transfer security after I arrive but that is typically quick. I assume the gates will not be far in any case. Is it likely that UA will wait for me if the TG flight is a little late? Or are they gonna close the gate 20 minutes before departure regardless of whether I am checked in and landed? I expect there is a 50-50 chance I will not make the connection since this trip I am on has been full of weird things happening. Is there anything I can do to make it more likely I will make it? I don't really care if my bag goes with me or not since I am just going home anyway. Can TG do anything to help me get where I need to go fast? Have a rep meet me at the plane or something? Or call the UA gate to let them know I am on my way? Does the fact that I am in F give me any extra hope? I figure it will be worth asking and letting the TG crew know about my very tight connection.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 4:02 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
They held a couple of flights the other night for connecting pax, but they were connecting off of UA metal and probably affected a lot of pax on the flights.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 4:44 am

Programs: UA-GS, AA-EXP
Unfortunately unless it's quite a few people they won't wait. You should be able to get through the transit security in fairly short order though. Good luck !!
Old Dec 10, 2011, 5:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The factors affecting whether UA holds a flight are many and you should not rely on it happening. # of pax certainly helps, UA-to-UA, last flight of day, etc. But, also, ATC, fuel, crew times and turn at the other end (if headwinds will delay your flight, UA doesn't want to delay it further), onward connections for pax affected (what if holding for you causes 50 pax to misconnect at other end). Lastly, a negative for you is that if UA needs your F seat (is it actually paid full F?) for somebody else and is actually hoping that somebody misconnects so they can legally acommodate the other person.

For all of these reasons, you should not attempt this unless you have: 1) backup plans locked in; and 2) understand that you may need to do this on your own with no help. Of course, it is of physical assistance that you are in F and can make arrangements to make a run for it.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by glennaa11
....Can TG do anything to help me get where I need to go fast?....
Not really. The only thing you need to do it to walk fast when you get off TG flight in NRT. NRT is pretty easy to connect within the same terminal. Your chance of making 50 minute connection is very good. As Often1 posted, there are many factors affecting if a flight may be held or not. It makes no difference if you call them or not. I won't be concerned about F being oversold. UA F is usually full of non-revs who makes UA look good by filling up otherwise empty F cabin.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe change to the UA BKK-NRT flight (UA 804)?

I doubt there are any connecting passengers, other than you, so there is no way they will hold a flight for you. If the flight is on time then you have a decent chance of making the connection. It seems like the TG flights are often out in the 41-47 area and the IAD flight 32/34/36, in my limited experience.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 8:05 am
In Memoriam

connection

I doubt very seriously that UAL will hold the flight for you. Good luck.
Remember that there are two places to go through security at NRT, so if one is backed up, try the other.

Good luck,

wwbgd

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.