Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 2, 2015, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
Version 1 is no longer in service (12 Feb 2017).

Note: This Wiki and thread is devoted to the pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 1. There is a second thread, and more extensive Wiki about both planes, in the Wiki and thread on Version 2. This thread should be used for discussion of Version 1, although older posts may refer to Version 2 (they were split 8/30/14).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1360456-everything-you-wanted-know-about-where-sit-pmua-3-cabin-777-version-2-a.html

And, if you're looking for the thread about pmCO 777, it's here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1475682-everything-you-want-know-about-where-sit-pmco-777-international-5.html

How can you tell from seat map which version you're on? Look at the seat map image below - if it's this, you're on Version 1

Version 1 vs. Version 2
There are two version of the international 3-class pmUA airplane.
"Version 1" on the United website has 8 First, 40 Business, and 218 coach seats. (no longer in service)
"Version 21" has 8 First, 40 Business, and 221 coach seats. (formerly Version 2 is now Version 1).

One unique attribute of Version 1 was the crew rest seats at the back of the E+ cabin in the middle section of Rows 29 and 30 (seats DEG). On most flights these seats were curtained off and dedicated for use by the crew. However, they were sometimes available when these planes were used on shorter routes and there was no need for crew rest. They provided much better legroom and footrests. This post contains a description and pictures: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25059936-post991.html

Fixed bassinets were available in economy 19G, 34G -- none in BF or GF.
Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 1

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2010, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by husker267
AVOD ^
3-3-3 Config

Regardless there are still three middles per row.
Originally Posted by RJNYC
^AVOD
3-3-3 Config

Agreed. +1
Who said AVOD?
Old Apr 23, 2010, 4:36 pm

Programs: United MP 1p, PC Ambassador, GP Platinum
Does anyone recognize the make/model of the AVOD system?
Old Apr 23, 2010, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by flyinbob
Who said AVOD?
http://crankyflier.com/2009/01/07/fo...configuration/

Not clear if there will be a charge, though, according the The CrankyFlier post.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Will be interesting to see how comfortable the new seats are, but dang, what idiot engineer keeps locating the seat controls, recliner button, power ports, headphone jack, etc. on the inside of the armrest?

As a big boy, my thigh will invariably press upon anything on that surface and my seat back will recline unexpectedly among other things that can happen.

As for the new screens I wonder if these will have a tilt angle adjustment when the person in front of you reclines. I find the portable dig-e-players on AS a lot more user-friendly than these seatback-mounted systems (and they have more programming options too).
Old Apr 23, 2010, 4:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RodeoLinebacker
As for the new screens I wonder if these will have a tilt angle adjustment when the person in front of you reclines.
Yes you can see that in 43H and 42J (right side middle seat). The cutout all around the screen is another giveaway.

In the other big thread it was stated that seat recline would actually be the seat cushion moving forward and not so much the seatback leaning back. Wonder if that is the case.

Another random question - do the headrests have foldable wings? They look awfully thick.

And another observation: E- doesn't look as cramped as the current E- product. Not that I care to test the theory or anything.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Thank you UnitePR for sharing the first look of the new Y cabin. Why are we not seeing the C/F cabin as I am pretty sure they are available? Or should we wait to see them from the passenger instead? Why would you want to miss the opportunity for showing them off first hand as PR?

Now, Are we going to hear about your planned deployment schedule soon and again I am pretty sure you have it :-).
Old Apr 23, 2010, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by LAXOGG
Nice......

Any photos of F and C?
F and C are the same as the current IPTE airplanes, the real difference is in the back of the bus.

To answer the question about the IFE system, it is a Panasonic system, don't know the model number. AVOD in all classes, touch screen in economy except for first rows of each cabin. Also, I think the seat bottom slides forward.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Whoever at United made the decision to do the 3-3-3 seating should be relegated to flying in a lavatory the rest of their lives. The 2-5-2 seating in the old config was one of the few nice things about flying in economy class on the 777.

Glad you added AVOD. I would echo the other FTer who said that a touchscreen on a seatback is a bad idea. Having had that experience on AA, I'm not a fan.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA Gold (Million Miler), FI Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by flyingbroom
and what happened to 17 a-b and 21 hj?
Either 17B or 21H are the only seats I've flown on in UA economy for the past several years. I'm gonna avoid the 777 altogether now. When "Mrs Karter" and I travel together, there's now gonna be some gooseberry sat between us. Not cool.

And what's the point of reconfiguring all the planes with this seating? Sounds like a waste of money to me. So maybe the pax who aren't even members of MP will prefer this to being in the middle of a row of 5, but these people would fly Rubbish Airways if it were 5 quid cheaper... so why bother pleasing them?!

Last edited by Karter; Apr 23, 2010 at 5:49 pm Reason: added more
Old Apr 23, 2010, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for posting the pix, UnitedPR!

While the looks is one thing, the more important will be the actual travel experience in those new seats. Certainly would like to see some C & F pix, especially re the actual cabin layout.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA 1k Million Miler
Originally Posted by husker267
AVOD ^
3-3-3 Config

Regardless there are still three middles per row.
And what did 2-5-2 give you?

Looks OK to me but I hope I never have to sit there. Would like to see E+.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by PanHam
http://crankyflier.com/2009/01/07/fo...configuration/

Not clear if there will be a charge, though, according the The CrankyFlier post.
Saw that before.

What I noticed today was no such comment from "UnitedPR".
Old Apr 23, 2010, 6:51 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Looks like @unitedairlines just confirmed power ports. Not specified which kind though...

"Also OnDemandVideo & powerports RT @robdean218 @UnitedAirlines is this just a shift from 2-5-2 to 3-3-3 in economy? looks like a nice cabin!"

http://twitter.com/UnitedAirlines/status/12734306921
Old Apr 23, 2010, 6:57 pm

Programs: 1K, MM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by flyingbroom
to 3-3-3 seating

+1 very disappointing...and how was this an improvement with the customer in mind? With everyone moving to iPods and personal media the decision to go 3 3 3 was based upon electronics?...was once a good airline
Old Apr 23, 2010, 7:14 pm

Programs: United MP 1p, PC Ambassador, GP Platinum
Originally Posted by seagar
+1 very disappointing...and how was this an improvement with the customer in mind? With everyone moving to iPods and personal media the decision to go 3 3 3 was based upon electronics?...was once a good airline
I believe it was based both on electronics and a lack of availability of the new seats in a 5 across config. Also there were reports that in a 5 across arrangement the seats failed the new 16G crash safety standard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.