Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 2, 2015, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
Version 1 is no longer in service (12 Feb 2017).

Note: This Wiki and thread is devoted to the pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 1. There is a second thread, and more extensive Wiki about both planes, in the Wiki and thread on Version 2. This thread should be used for discussion of Version 1, although older posts may refer to Version 2 (they were split 8/30/14).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1360456-everything-you-wanted-know-about-where-sit-pmua-3-cabin-777-version-2-a.html

And, if you're looking for the thread about pmCO 777, it's here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1475682-everything-you-want-know-about-where-sit-pmco-777-international-5.html

How can you tell from seat map which version you're on? Look at the seat map image below - if it's this, you're on Version 1

Version 1 vs. Version 2
There are two version of the international 3-class pmUA airplane.
"Version 1" on the United website has 8 First, 40 Business, and 218 coach seats. (no longer in service)
"Version 21" has 8 First, 40 Business, and 221 coach seats. (formerly Version 2 is now Version 1).

One unique attribute of Version 1 was the crew rest seats at the back of the E+ cabin in the middle section of Rows 29 and 30 (seats DEG). On most flights these seats were curtained off and dedicated for use by the crew. However, they were sometimes available when these planes were used on shorter routes and there was no need for crew rest. They provided much better legroom and footrests. This post contains a description and pictures: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25059936-post991.html

Fixed bassinets were available in economy 19G, 34G -- none in BF or GF.
Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 1

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2010, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Best C-seats!

So, with some 4 of those babe's flying now, who has flown them and already identified some favorite seats? Having not been on one yet, I take: side rows, in front of mini-cabin, away from lavs .....
Old Aug 12, 2010, 8:12 pm

Looks like my November SFO-LHR and return flights have been switched to the new 77Q config. The seatmap is now showing 8 in F. I have an assigned seat SFO-LHR but not LHR-SFO and the rest of the cabin is showing full for both flights. A call to UA confimed that the seats are still available and they will open it up for selection soon.

So ... any seat recommendations?

btw, seatguru appears to be slacking off ... it reads "United began reconfiguring its Boeing 777-200 fleet with 8 First Class Suites and 40 new Business class flat bed seats in February 2010. The fleet overhaul is almost complete", but the seatmaps show 10 in F.

While United says only 7% (3/46) of the 777s have the new configuration!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 12, 2010 at 8:27 pm Reason: moved from other thread; more topical here
Old Aug 14, 2010, 12:10 am

The seatmaps on .bomb for the SFO<->LHR 777Q show 2A to be a non-existent seat!!! What gives?
Old Aug 14, 2010, 1:27 am

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
Originally Posted by malgudi
The seatmaps on .bomb for the SFO<->LHR 777Q show 2A to be a non-existent seat!!! What gives?
Because it is the Pilot rest seat.
Again, this makes no sense that UA will sell 8 f seats when their own seat map shows only 7 for passenger use.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 2:31 am

Programs: MP 1K to 2P - painful
Originally Posted by DullesJason

For aisle seat people, the old config was more idea because it was easy to sit in a C or G seat and know you had a high chance of the middle seat next to you being left open, except for fully booked flights.

But I think the 3-3-3 works out better for those of us who like windows.
Yes, I confess I'm an aisle person!
Old Aug 14, 2010, 8:06 am

Arrgh ... I still can't select my seats in F

Not sure if 2A is the pilot rest seat, looks like there is a separate rest area in the new config.

Originally Posted by tattikat2
Because it is the Pilot rest seat.
Again, this makes no sense that UA will sell 8 f seats when their own seat map shows only 7 for passenger use.

Last edited by malgudi; Aug 14, 2010 at 8:13 am
Old Aug 24, 2010, 11:00 am

Programs: UA 1P, Starwood Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Platinum
DEN-LHR and LHR-DEN: E+ guidance?

Have the new 3-3-3 E+ config on 16 Oct DEN-LHR and then return on 21 Oct LHR-DEN.

I'm sure this has been asked before (did a quick search on the thread and couldn't find anything) but do we have any seat maps or guidance on the new 3-3-3 layout in E+? Checked the usual external sites, and am either missing something, or nothing has been posted yet.

Thanks much for any insight.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 24, 2010 at 11:17 am Reason: moved from other thread; more topical here
Old Aug 24, 2010, 11:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by BoulderBri
Checked the usual external sites, and am either missing something, or nothing has been posted yet.
http://airlineexpert.com/_UA_772_Intl_XQ.html
Old Aug 27, 2010, 8:42 pm
Community Director Emerita

Are LAX-LHR flights sure to be the new config, or are there frequent equipment swaps?

During the yearend holiday season, all but three seats shown taken in the biz class cabin on both LAX-LHR and LHR-LAX. Is that realistic?

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Aug 28, 2010 at 12:17 am Reason: clarify that it's biz seats that are filled
Old Aug 27, 2010, 11:39 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Are LAX-LHR flights sure to be the new config, or are there frequent equipment swaps?

During the yearend holiday season, all but three seats shown taken on both LAX-LHR and LHR-LAX. Is that realistic?
At the moment LAX-LHR is running at under 50% being the new configuration, but it all depends when your flight is.

The 4th reconfigured plane has entered service today and so we have no idea where it is going to be going. But so far (apart from 1-2 flights to FRA and 1 to Dubai) almost every single reconfigured 777 is flying to and from LHR and the specualtion is that they will cover all routes into and out of LHR as the first priority and there is no idea what will come after that.

My guess is that by December we'll be seeing 70-80% of LHR flights being the new C.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 1:18 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K, AA EXP, Starwood Platinum (75+)
Angry 777 New Business Class Seat is DIFFERENT!!! Not Good.

Has anyone else noticed from the pics of the new United 777 business class seats that a single immovable armrest has been installed between each set of two seats?? This goes both for the 2 seats near the windows, and for each set of two seats in the middle section of four (meaning this fat, immovable armrest is between the 1st and 2nd, and then the 3rd and 4th seats). Even worse, there is no center divider between the armrests of seats 2 and 3 in the middle section--meaning that if both passengers put the armrests down, they will be lying together, even touching each other. Unless the other passenger was really hot, I don't think I'd be amused by this, espcially if I were flying on a paid ticket. Look at the photos in the following links to see what I mean:

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo....main/4879739/

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...8&id=512871228

The photo in the 1st link shows the 4 seats in the middle. Look at how tight the seats are pressed together, and how there is no room between the middle two seats! It looks just like coach!!!! I was wondering how they were going to fit 2-4-2 on the 777 (increasing it from the previous 2-3-2), and now it is obvious that they have removed one of the movable armrests from each seat, replaced it with a single armrest for both seats that LOOKS wide, but really cuts into the upper body/seat space. And in the very center of the middle section, they have done away with any sort of attempt to create space.

I just flew CO for the 1st time in many years (have only been on United). I was in C class from EWR to Shanghai in the new lie flat seats. I have to say that those new seats (same manufacturer as United) are far superior in design, managing to combine storage space, with privacy, with a social atmosphere, with a lie-flat bed, with excellent seat count. In fact, they can fit 16 of these seats into the F cabin of a 757. How many PS 1st fliers would rather have these seats than 12 of those rickety slanted sleepers that exist now?

VERY disappointed in the layout of the 777 C class. F cabin looks fabulous, but they have really shafted the business class customer. When I pay $10,000+ for my seat, my elbow better not touch anybody else's, unless I want it to. 767 C class still has both sides movable armrests, and I believe the 747 does as well (have only flown 1st on the 747).

Anyway, check it out! I would love to hear what people think of our beloved UA pulling a fast one on C class.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 2:15 am

Programs: My posts are solely my opinion and do not represent the official position of United Airlines

During the yearend holiday season, all but three seats shown taken in the biz class cabin on both LAX-LHR and LHR-LAX. Is that realistic?
LAX-LHR-LAX flights will have the new config ongoing from October 8th (subject to MX etc.).

Till then it will be a mixture of old and new config.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 9:30 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by StayUnited
LAX-LHR-LAX flights will have the new config ongoing from October 8th (subject to MX etc.).
Then it appears that I will be on the new config.

What do folks think of the seatmap showing only 3 unassigned seats in biz for the first days of Jan? It doesn't make sense to me that with only leisure travel, four months in advance, biz would be completely sold out.

Could you check the links again? I'm interested in the pictures, and was unable to see either.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 11:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
What do folks think of the seatmap showing only 3 unassigned seats in biz for the first days of Jan?
That appears to be SOP for the new config. They had a similar bug with the 747 setmaps when they were undergoing conversion.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 6:19 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
I flew from LHR to IAD on Tuesday on what was supposed to be the old configuration in C on a 777. Up until a few days before the flight my seat was 11H. The day before the flight I found it was 9C. I called United and was told that I was now flying a reconfigured plane. That was good news.

I ended up changing the seat to 8C at the airport so I would be forward facing. When I got on the plane I realized that I was directly facing the restroom. Fortunately there was nobody sitting in 8D-E-F so I moved over to 8D and was comfortable. I really enjoyed the entertainment system with the huge monitor. Overall it was a great flight, though I'm not sure how it would have felt if the cabin was full.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.