Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Empty F seats even with CPU (EUA/UDU)?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2010, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Renard
FAIL
United 0176
A319
SFO 10:40 AM Mon, Apr 12, 2010
IAH 04:39 PM Mon, Apr 12, 2010

The plane left with an F seat unoccupied.
It was not a case of needing to get a delayed flight out. In fact, the doors closed 4 mins early and we pushed back 8 mins later.
Please post this info on www.udustats.com

Did you ask the FA about the empty seat?
Old Apr 15, 2010, 11:47 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
UA 73 SFO-HNL
4-15-10

6 seats open in C on main deck and 2 seats open in C on upper deck. F was full. Y was probably 75% full.

I asked the FA why there were open seats with UDU. He said they wondered the same thing and they think that the GAs are mad about UDU and aren't processing the upgrades.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 11:53 pm

Programs: UAL Million Miler / 500k Delta now...
Originally Posted by Pat89339
I asked the FA why there were open seats with UDU. He said they wondered the same thing and they think that the GAs are mad about UDU and aren't processing the upgrades.
I suppose then if you were a eligible you could ask once aboard the plane. I sure know I would, assuming I could see empty seats up there. Or I would be waiting for the "we're sorry for those of you waiting for upgrades, but all seats have checked in full" announcement - and if I didn't hear it I would ask at boarding...
Old Apr 16, 2010, 12:18 am

That is what I don't understand. Why aren't the FAs moving eligible people up. They have a manifest showing status of all passengers. If I were in the back and found out there was space in C on this domestic flight, I would be more than annoyed.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 1:47 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
That is what I don't understand. Why aren't the FAs moving eligible people up. They have a manifest showing status of all passengers. If I were in the back and found out there was space in C on this domestic flight, I would be more than annoyed.
1) It is not part of the flight attendants scope to do so, it is work guaranteed in the CS contract to CS agents, and 2) The SW do not know what fare is paid, so a) they can't tell if you are on a free ticket which is not eligible, and b) which 1P would get it, the M fare or the V fare, as they have no data to tell the difference, even if it was part of their job.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 5:04 am

Programs: United MP 1p, PC Ambassador, GP Platinum
If that happened to me I'd make sure to save my ticket number and write a short letter to United Customer service. They need to know if GA aren't processing upgrades.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 7:16 am

Location: AA Gold/Million Miler,DL dirt,UA1K/Million Miler;Honors Silver,Marriott Gold;Avis Preferred,Hertz Prez Circle, Nat'l Exec Elite
What with the cancellation of Europe-bound flights due to the volcano ash, I would imagine there will be seats available on domestic feeder flights to IAD/ORD for the next few days.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by IADtoWhere
If that happened to me I'd make sure to save my ticket number and write a short letter to United Customer service. They need to know if GA aren't processing upgrades.
Been there, done that, they don't care:

We realize your upgrade benefits are important to you, we know. So, time permitting, our gate agents will go onboard the aircraft to verify if there are any unclaimed seats due to "no show" customers. I am uncertain
why your upgrade was not cleared and I am sorry your upgrade request could not be accommodated on this occasion.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by fastair
1) It is not part of the flight attendants scope to do so, it is work guaranteed in the CS contract to CS agents, and 2) The SW do not know what fare is paid, so a) they can't tell if you are on a free ticket which is not eligible, and b) which 1P would get it, the M fare or the V fare, as they have no data to tell the difference, even if it was part of their job.
Thanks for the official explanation of the cba rules. In the days before UDU I had occasion to see FAs pull someone up to the next cabin after the door closed. I thought once the door was closed they could do that. With UDU it seems it would be the appropriate thing to do.

I also agree with other posters that anyone who wasn't upgraded was due compensation as UA failed to follow their own rules. If I were mre5765 I would respond to that apology with a letter not accepting their apology and firmly stating that compensation is due.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 9:42 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mre5765
Been there, done that, they don't care:
It seems like these kinds of problems are common across carriers that do UDUs. Are there any lessons UA flyers can learn from the other carriers' flyers about effective ways to work within a UDU system?

For example, it seems like seasoned "battlefield upgraders" in CO know when and how to politely ask a gate agent whether there might still be open F seats available for a complimentary upgrade.

They probably don't have very good advice about how to follow up if things don't work out, since I get the unfounded impression that CO doesn't do "we're very sorry, here's some compensation" as thoroughly as UA -- but it still might be worth checking out threads like http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...-flies-fc.html .
Old Apr 16, 2010, 10:28 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
UA 73 SFO-HNL
4-15-10
Pat, my mom's boyfriend flew HNL-LAX on Tuesday and noted that there were at least four empty seats in F on his flight. I wonder if there just aren't a lot of elites on flights to/from HNL right now and the non-status passengers aren't willing to pay the upcharge to move up.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 10:59 am

The FA I was talking to said there were elites in the back. I was disappointed that he knew that and didn't do anything about it.

I agree that with the stiff co-pay on miles upgrades, few people will take a chance with that on the 2-class 757/767/777 on the route, but if I saw a 747 at the gate I would have plunked down the money + miles.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 11:07 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
The FA I was talking to said there were elites in the back. I was disappointed that he knew that and didn't do anything about it.
Looking at 30 names on the upgrade list yesterday for a 757 SFO-SEA, I imagine there will continue to be problems. I've mentioned previously that our disappointments with CO's system was one of the factors leading us put all of our eggs in the UA basket some years ago.

We were in 6A-B due to SWUs on the final leg of a HKG-SFO-SEA flight. It was that first leg that was the nail-biter for me.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 11:11 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Thanks for the official explanation of the cba rules. In the days before UDU I had occasion to see FAs pull someone up to the next cabin after the door closed. I thought once the door was closed they could do that. With UDU it seems it would be the appropriate thing to do.

I also agree with other posters that anyone who wasn't upgraded was due compensation as UA failed to follow their own rules. If I were mre5765 I would respond to that apology with a letter not accepting their apology and firmly stating that compensation is due.
A qualified purser can, I believe move a person between cabins for very specific reasons (i.e. broken seat.) I don't know the list of reasons or the details, but anything beyond these reasons is outside of their authority.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 11:46 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Let me add my thanks for chiming in here, fastair. Could you please provide any insight as to why some GAs are letting F seats go out empty while elites are still in Y? Were you not given instructions when UDU started to make sure that as many eligible elites as could fit in C or F were indeed upgraded?

I'll hazard a guess that certain GAs are overlooking this aspect of UDU for the sake of getting the flight out on-time. But it's unacceptable under the new system to let fare-paying elites (or any GS) sit in back while seats up front go out empty.

Originally Posted by fastair
A qualified purser can, I believe move a person between cabins for very specific reasons (i.e. broken seat.) I don't know the list of reasons or the details, but anything beyond these reasons is outside of their authority.
It absolutely should be within the purser's purview to pick up this slack that these GAs are leaving (but definitely shouldn't be leaving to begin with).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.