Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated FRA connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated FRA connection time/logistics-Domestic & International

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2012, 4:34 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DriukasLT
Are you sure we will both be able to gain access to the welcome lounge? According to the LH website (e.g. at http://www.lufthansa.com/us/en/Lounge-types-and-access), arriving flights in F must be on LH or SWISS (not UA) to access the Welcome Lounge. Not even *A Gold welcome.

Is my best bet a Senator lounge?? Well, that's OK but maybe if someone more familiar with FRA could tell me, what's the best Senator lounge, especially if a quick shower is one of the top priorities, and then after the shower, are any lounges better than others to relax (maybe even smoke?), have a few drinks even if early in the morning, and just chill?
If you look further down the access rule page you should find that arriving UA F and C BPs give you access to the Welcome Lounge. Also if you check the Welcome Lounge thread in M&M forum you will find an image of the cheat sheet lounge staff use to check if pax are entitled to use the lounge. (I'm posting this on a handheld device and cannot provide links to the relevant pages easily.)

The best Senator Lounge is the new non-Schengen Lounge (near gate Z50) immediately above the Schengen Senator Lounge I mentioned earlier but I would go to the Welcome Lounge first.

p.s. Here's the actual text in question:
(2) The following passengers may also access the Lufthansa Welcome Lounge at Frankfurt Airport:
- Passengers of United Airlines (First and Business Class and Global Services cardholders) and Continental Airlines (Business Class) arriving in Frankfurt
- Passengers arriving in Frankfurt after a Lufthansa intercontinental flight (First and Business Class) via Dusseldorf or Munich

and here's the cheat sheet.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Dec 31, 2012 at 7:29 am
Old Dec 31, 2012, 4:41 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
If F opens up for BOM-FRA you will be able to access the FCL in FRA but not the FCT.
Thanks!
Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:31 am

Programs: UA 1MM+1K; Marriott Platinum; HHonors Diamond; Avis First
Smile THANK YOU NewbieRunner

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
If you look further down the access rule page you should find that arriving UA F and C BPs give you access to the Welcome Lounge. Also if you check the Welcome Lounge thread in M&M forum you will find an image of the cheat sheet lounge staff use to check if pax are entitled to use the lounge. (I'm posting this on a handheld device and cannot provide links to the relevant pages easily.)

The best Senator Lounge is the new non-Schengen Lounge (near gate Z50) immediately above the Schengen Senator Lounge I mentioned earlier but I would go to the Welcome Lounge first.

p.s. Here's the actual text in question:
(2) The following passengers may also access the Lufthansa Welcome Lounge at Frankfurt Airport:
- Passengers of United Airlines (First and Business Class and Global Services cardholders) and Continental Airlines (Business Class) arriving in Frankfurt
- Passengers arriving in Frankfurt after a Lufthansa intercontinental flight (First and Business Class) via Dusseldorf or Munich

and here's the cheat sheet.
My god thank you & can I say again -- I LOVE this forum & its members!
Old Jan 6, 2013, 11:27 pm

Programs: UA Plat (1MM), AA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat.
Originally Posted by DriukasLT
My god thank you & can I say again -- I LOVE this forum & its members!
Where is the Lufthansa Welcome Lounge in FRA? Is it better than all the rest of Senators or Business Class lounge?

My apology if this is a dumb question asked and answered. I am travelling on award UA F ticket tomorrow.

Thanks!
@ORD
Old Jan 6, 2013, 11:35 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by @ORD
Where is the Lufthansa Welcome Lounge in FRA? ...
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...ounge-fra.html

http://www.loungeguide.net/wiki/u/Fr...Welcome_Lounge

http://upgrd.com/matthew/lufthansa-w...frankfurt.html
Old Jan 6, 2013, 11:37 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by @ORD
Where is the Lufthansa Welcome Lounge in FRA? Is it better than all the rest of Senators or Business Class lounge?
The Welcome Lounge is landside on the arrival (baggage claim) level behind baggage claim B and marked W on this map.

The new Senator Lounge in Pier A+ is also very nice (has 10 showers as opposed to 20 in the Welcome Lounge) but you won't have access to a Senator Lounge on arrival unless you have a connecting flight on *A.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jan 6, 2013 at 11:42 pm
Old Jan 31, 2013, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, UR
50 min. connection in FRA on way to EWR?

I am traveling in July coming back BOM-FRA (LH757-UA118). The ticket is a part of a longer itin. spanning June/July but this is the shortest connection among all others. Itin was booked using UA miles by UA agents. All confirmed. I looked up those flights online/FlightAware and they show Terminal 1 in FRA. I have no status nor global entry and neither do my family of 4. Is this going to be an issue? My next flight EWR-PHX (final destination) is after 7 hours. Any ideas/advice appreciated.

Side note: I have 4 UA club passes. On an itin PHX-YYC-FRA-BOM//BOM-FRA-EWR-PHX, where can I use them for best value?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by FT-hss
I am traveling in July coming back BOM-FRA (LH757-UA118). The ticket is a part of a longer itin. spanning June/July but this is the shortest connection among all others. Itin was booked using UA miles by UA agents. All confirmed. I looked up those flights online/FlightAware and they show Terminal 1 in FRA. I have no status nor global entry and neither do my family of 4. Is this going to be an issue? My next flight EWR-PHX (final destination) is after 7 hours. Any ideas/advice appreciated.

Side note: I have 4 UA club passes. On an itin PHX-YYC-FRA-BOM//BOM-FRA-EWR-PHX, where can I use them for best value?
Is the entire ticket on one PNR?

I would not accept a 50 minute connection at FRA.

It really depends where you deplane and depart.

I've had multiple cases at FRA where the plane stops in a parking section, not pulling to a gate, then everyone goes to a bus, then the bus goes to a terminal then you have to change terminals then you have to walk through the terminal, to get to the gate.

This can take 30 minutes.

Add a delay into that mix?

If you pull up to a gate and you're on time and your UA flight is in the same terminal, then it is probably OK.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry

Personally, I would have booked more time for a layover at FRA; however, 50 minutes may be doable. I think you'll only have to go through security. Hopefully, your aircraft will have gate positions, which will speed things up for you. Several hotels are located conveniently close to FRA, just in case you miss your flight and have to overnight.

You could use your club passes either at PHX or at EWR, as none of the other airports you'll be transiting have United Clubs. Using them at EWR may be a good idea, especially since you'll have such a long layover. However, note that they are "one-time" passes. If you leave the lounge, even to get real food (the carrots, cheese, and crackers in the lounge only go so far) you may not be allowed to return.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
I think coming into FRA from a longhaul you are more than likely to get a gate at FRA, but I have arrived at a remote stand on LH a few times from the US.

50 minutes is bare bones, and you are traveling with family does that mean small kids?

I haven't looked at the timetable for the summer but often there are 2 UA flights to EWR, maybe see if that is not the case the day you are traveling and see if you can't get a little more padding in FRA?

Worst comes to worst you will get rebooked, personally I would rather spend more time in FRA than 7 hours in EWR.

Either way, good luck. That is a long trip!

Adam
Old Jan 31, 2013, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
I'll second that 50 minutes is tight. With the new A/Z pier opening, there is a better chance that you will actually get gates for both flights. I would definitely call UA and see if you could change flights to the later UA FRA-EWR flight. You can always waitlist the UA flight.

The UA flights almost always depart from the Z gates these days, but if you get a bus gate for the BOM-FRA flight, they will most likely dump you at the B gates, necessitating a security check to get to the Z gates.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 4:44 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
50 minutes is feasible but not ideal.

That said, with a 7 hour layover in EWR, and a final destination of PHX, I think that UA/LH will get you where you need to go if you misconnect. There are a tremendous number of ways to get you from FRA to PHX that day -- through IAD, ORD, DEN, MIA, IAH, DFW, BOS not to mention LAX, SFO, SEA, YYZ, YVR. So, if they won't change it then don't sweat it and just be flexible.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 6:26 pm

Programs: DL Gold Medallion (1M), Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite (lifetime)
No WAY would I accept a 50 min connection in FRA...even if I was traveling alone, forget with kids. A 90 min connection time is marginal in that airport. Keep in mind they have the security interviews for US-bound flights which start 90 min in advance of departure time, and those lines can get very long if you don't have elite status.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG G, #1 CG 5☆
Itin was booked using UA miles by UA agents. Any ideas/advice appreciated.

UA club passes on this routing would be most useful at EWR if you appreciate a shower after the TATL leg. They are no good in FRA.

IMO you might want to call in at UA if you are *A Gold or if the trip is in J, because...

Originally Posted by adambrau
Worst comes to worst you will get rebooked, personally I would rather spend more time in FRA than 7 hours in EWR. Adam
...FRA is a much nicer place to get stuck than EWR. Maybe you can re-reroute through LH via LAX or SFO to avoid the long domestic leg?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K
50 min really pushing it. As others mention you'd better hope you get a gate and not a bus. Then there are some long and spaghetti-like terminals, it's gotten better as they've finished some construction in recent years but you might end up w a 10-15 min hike to the gate. You will have to go to the upper departure level, clear passport control (usually a waltz) and do the US security screening. I try to allow 90 min plus, especially since there are good lounge facilities, but have made 45 connections min w ideal conditions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.