Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a United 747

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2015, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ssh

From SAT Lawyer's First Post:

Please also see: http://seatexpert.com/seatmap/320/Un..._First_&_Biz)/ and http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Uni...747-400_B.php]

What follows is my assessment of where to sit on the 744, which I sampled on a recent flight from SYD-SFO. I sat in E+ for three hours before a flight cancellation on Tuesday and in 15K in the upper deck in business for 13 hours the following day, so I feel sufficiently well-informed to dispense advice for those cabins. I cannot, however, make a recommendation for business class seating on the lower deck or the E- minus cabin, so with that caveat, here is my feedback on the upper deck . . .

Where should I sit in the upper deck? Any seats better than others?

Unlike the old configuration of the upper deck where certain seats – especially the exit row seats in row 15 – are appreciably better, on the new configuration, there is not really much to distinguish between the upper deck seats except for the limited caveats noted below.

What seats should I try to avoid?

There are only five seats that are nominally less attractive than the rest. 12 J & K are close to the forward lavatories and the flight deck so you can expect increased foot traffic and noise during the flight. The shell for 14K protrudes backward into the exit door area and partially overlaps with the exit door causing a nominal reduction in the view and a possible cold spot due to airflow penetrating the door seal. 17 J & K lose a good deal of privacy because they are visible from the top of the stairs and suffer from increased noise and light from the galley and traffic to and from the galley.

Window or aisle?

Window, definitely. And I say this as someone who is typically an aisle guy. You get the side bins for storage, the view, a little more peace and privacy being further removed from the aisle, and avoid the possibility of being disrupted by a seatmate climbing over you. Climbing over a seatmate in the aisle seat who is in the sleeping configuration requires a little bit of dexterity, but certainly is not terribly difficult for anyone who is at least 6 feet tall. Those who are substantially shorter than 6 feet may want to avoid the window, however.

Forward or backward?

Doesn’t really matter. Due to the pitch of the aircraft, those facing backwards will have their feet slightly below their heads in the sleeping configuration, but we are really splitting hairs here. Personally, I prefer the backward-facing view from the upper deck because you can see the wing and the engines.

What if I’m traveling with more than two people?

You will not be able to see or converse with the passengers whose feet oppose yours behind the wall adjoining the foot pocket and video panel. In other words, to give one example, the passengers in 15 J & K are fully walled-off from the passengers in 16 J & K. The shell of the seat also provides full privacy from behind. So, if you want to keep an eye on travel companions, you should try to sit diagonally across the aisle from one other. Passengers in 15 J & K, for example, will have a good view of passengers in 16 A & B, and vice versa. Actually, if you are travelling in a group of more than two and being able to chat is important to you, you'll probably want to sit in the middle section of the lower deck.

What happened to the exit row?

For all intents and purposes, it doesn’t exist. The seats in both rows 14 and 15 both back up to the exit area creating something more akin to an exit corridor. No extra legroom or particular advantage to these seats.

How is the seat for sleeping?

It’s a true, parallel-to-the-ground lie-flat seat, which is the big improvement. The arm rests on both sides can be manually lowered so that they don’t extend above the seat in bed configuration, which further increases arm and shoulder room. Unfortunately, for window seaters, there will be a healthy gap between the lowered arm rest and the side bins which means that the extra room on one side isn’t particularly useful since if you stick your arm far enough off the seat, it will essentially drop off a cliff with nothing to prop it up. As a 6-footer, my left foot was a little bit cramped due to the curvature of the foot-pocket, although this was not terribly bothersome. Both my seatmate and I felt that the seat lacked sufficient padding in the lumbar region of the back so we both woke up with sore lower backs.

What is the audio and video on-demand like?

For United and in comparison to the old configuration, great. The video screens are positively huge. There aren’t as many movies as one may find on airlines like Singapore, but still, there should be enough features to keep all but the most demanding and fickle passengers entertained.

As for the E+ cabin . . .

Seat pitch seems indistinguishable throughout, the bulkhead row 19 excepted. I don't care for the seats in row 19 myself because the hard bulkhead without cutouts effectively prevents all but the shortest traveler from stretching out his or her feet. This is true of both the outside seats as well as the middle section.

I would strongly advise against any D seat -- the aisle seats on the port side of the middle section -- because the audio boxes are beneath those seats and inhibit leg room for the left foot. There still should be enough room to place both feet, but only at a fairly sharp and uncomfortable angle.

As an aisle guy, I would go with one of the G seats. No audio box inhibiting leg room and landlocked middle seat passengers can access the aisle in either direction cutting in half your chance of getting bumped or bothered while you are trying to sleep.

There are still no individual seat-back video screens, unfortunately, so you are stuck with whatever programming UA runs on the main screens. Fortunately, the main screens have been upgraded to LCD screens. Sit at least a few rows back from row 19 to avoid being uncomfortably close to the screens.
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a United 747

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2013, 2:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by kthpence
Yea I've heard the height thing, I'm only 5'9" so it won't be a problem. I flew 1K to SYD, right now I'm going stick with 16A and weigh my options as I get closer to the date (December 18th)...thanks!
I recommend 15A/K. Unless you've tried backwards before and don't like them.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
I recommend 15A/K. Unless you've tried backwards before and don't like them.
Only 15J is available at the moment. Also, this is for the SYD-LAX flight if that makes any difference, considering the length of the flight and the fact that I won't be sleep a majority of the flight like the flight from LAX/SFO-SYD because of the departure time (4PM to US, 11PM to AUS). I guess the later part of my statement would apply more to if it's worth the 10K more miles for first class considering I won't be sleeping the whole time like the flight to AUS. Also, 14A is available and I hear that you can get out of the seat by slipping in between the seat and the window, which would be a huge plus for me as I usually have to use the restroom a lot during the flight. I am quite skinny so I don't think I'd have trouble squeezing through the opening if it is worth not waking/disturbing my neighbor.

Last edited by kthpence; Nov 26, 2013 at 6:59 am
Old Nov 26, 2013, 10:05 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
If you had the choice between UD Business or Global First, which would you choose for the 10,000 miles? I know it's been discussed on here, but I've flown GF and never on the UD and I've heard it's almost like flying on a private jet. Food doesn't really matter to me as it's United and doesn't really matter regardless, but I thought I'd check to see what opinions are.
GF. There really is no debate about it. The most privacy and space you can ever get on a UA commercial plane is 1AK. Of course, if you take the UD, I'm happy that you will be increasing my odds for 1AK. Thanks!
Old Nov 26, 2013, 10:13 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Only 15J is available at the moment. Also, this is for the SYD-LAX flight if that makes any difference, considering the length of the flight and the fact that I won't be sleep a majority of the flight like the flight from LAX/SFO-SYD because of the departure time (4PM to US, 11PM to AUS). I guess the later part of my statement would apply more to if it's worth the 10K more miles for first class considering I won't be sleeping the whole time like the flight to AUS. Also, 14A is available and I hear that you can get out of the seat by slipping in between the seat and the window, which would be a huge plus for me as I usually have to use the restroom a lot during the flight. I am quite skinny so I don't think I'd have trouble squeezing through the opening if it is worth not waking/disturbing my neighbor.
Sorry, I meant 15J. Yes, you can squeeze out the back of 15A/J although it's kind of awkward. It may be a little tighter from row 14, as the fuselage is narrower there. The video screens are also further misaligned the farther forward you go. I flew 13A a couple weeks back and found the misalignment really annoying. It's also shorter than row 15.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 2:03 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Sorry, I meant 15J. Yes, you can squeeze out the back of 15A/J although it's kind of awkward. It may be a little tighter from row 14, as the fuselage is narrower there. The video screens are also further misaligned the farther forward you go. I flew 13A a couple weeks back and found the misalignment really annoying. It's also shorter than row 15.
I have tried the side gap escape from both 14A and 15K (not 15J). For me 14A is easier, especially when trying to return to the seat.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 2:46 am

Originally Posted by PanAmWT
I have tried the side gap escape from both 14A and 15K (not 15J). For me 14A is easier, especially when trying to return to the seat.
I will have to check out row 14 next time.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by 747FC
The most privacy and space you can ever get on a UA commercial plane is 1AK.
Unless your in 1K on the 763, in which case the seats are the same, and the privacy is better.

Dave
Old Nov 30, 2013, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by bseller
Unless your in 1K on the 763, in which case the seats are the same, and the privacy is better.

Dave
Sorry, but how can the 763 seat have better privacy when there is a galley and and an walk-through isle right next to it? In the 747, the galley and bathroom are four rows behind, and there is no destination for any traffic to traverse in the isle between 1A and 1K
Old Nov 30, 2013, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
Sorry, but how can the 763 seat have better privacy when there is a galley and and an walk-through isle right next to it? In the 747, the galley and bathroom are four rows behind, and there is no destination for any traffic to traverse in the isle between 1A and 1K
On the 763, the middle seats in rows 1 and 2 face left, while 2K is a crew rest seat. Behind row 2 is the curtain separating C from F. Except for the crew, no one can see you in 1K.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 1:10 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
I know this has been covered, and my search yielded mix results...

I've long championed that 1A/K are the best seats for a couple in this thread. However, since 1A/K is not available for my wife and me (actually 1A is open, but 1K isn't)...Should we take 3C/H or 4C/H?

No major preferences outside of the most privacy we can get (no, there will be no hanky-panky) and our want of as little noise and light as possible...Which way should we go. I think you forgo some privacy in row 3, but it should be darker and quieter...

Any last-minute thoughts would be appreciated...We just switched to this flight this morning for our departure in 2 days.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
...Should we take 3C/H or 4C/H?
Take row three. More distance between you and the galley and bathrooms.

Bon Voyage!
Old Dec 4, 2013, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
I know this has been covered, and my search yielded mix results...

I've long championed that 1A/K are the best seats for a couple in this thread. However, since 1A/K is not available for my wife and me (actually 1A is open, but 1K isn't)...Should we take 3C/H or 4C/H?

No major preferences outside of the most privacy we can get (no, there will be no hanky-panky) and our want of as little noise and light as possible...Which way should we go. I think you forgo some privacy in row 3, but it should be darker and quieter...

Any last-minute thoughts would be appreciated...We just switched to this flight this morning for our departure in 2 days.
Row 3 & 4 would be best - if it's a flight that you are both planning on sleeping for the majority of time and don't need to talk that much, I'd take 1A and 2A if they are open as they are much more private than rows 3 & 4. If you aren't planning on sleeping a lot during the flight and do want to be able to be converse, go w/ row 3 as it's further from the gallery but you'll still be 2nd in line if the flight attendants decide to "horse-shoe" around the cabin.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by PanAmWT
I will have to check out row 14 next time.
It has to be 14A, not 14K.

I should qualify my earlier statement. 14A is easier for taller person with a smaller waistline. 15K is easier if waistline is slightly larger but height is not as tall.

Returning to seat is easier for 14A because you can stand still behind the seatback when starting the maneuver. But if your waistline is larger than 34" it will not be easy, 36" will need work, 38" or larger you will be stuck.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Hilton Honors Diamond; SPG Platinum
thoughts from the community?

family of 4, i'm about 6 feet (tallest). upstairs or downstairs? and if upstairs, row 14 or 15?

we'll likely have some carryon given we've got the kids (so unsure if access to it will be challenging upstairs).

thanks!
Old Dec 13, 2013, 5:23 pm

If the family of four includes two infants, you would do the rest of us a favor by staying downstairs And, in that case, you might want to consider taking a row of four in the middle, to keep the kids between you. But other than that, there are lots of posts here about facing forward and rearward, and there's even a post with the actual dimensions of each seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.