Community
Wiki Posts
Search

To Londoners... [what is the weather normally like in March?]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2009, 8:35 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Exactly. I'm 6'1", buy milk by the pint and fruit juice by the litre, ride a 28" bike with 700mm wheels well under the 30mph limit, despite the temperature being well under 10C. I never know which measurement to use...
Old Feb 18, 2009, 8:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Looking up my World Weather book the statistics for London in March are.

Average hours of sun per day 4
Average daily temp. Min 3c Max 10c
Highest recorded temp 21c
Lowest recorded temp. -8c
Average monthly precipitation 37mm
Average wet days to expect 11

In other words....bloody awful.Come to Buenos Aires instead. ^
Old Feb 18, 2009, 12:27 pm

Programs: PC RA, Hertz PC, (Flybe) Premier card, Tesco Platinum
Originally Posted by ajax
50-59-68

These correspond to 10, 15 and 20 degrees Celsius.
Or easier to remember, 16 = 61, 28=82.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 10:34 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
While we are comparing numbers, -40oF is -40oC ^

(not much use in London!)
Old Feb 19, 2009, 3:31 pm

Someone once said that London has no climate, just lots of weather.

As noted above, the weather could do anything and probably will: sunshine, clouds, drizzle, rain. Snow is also a possibility in March (in fact, statistically it's probably more common in March in recent years than it is earlier in the season). The temperatures are much less likely to be extreme: extremes do happen, of course, but they are rare.

Bring a waterproof coat and a fold-up umbrella. Something for warmth will be needed (not an overcoat; probably a jumper). Even if it's cool and wet and dreary outside, inside and on trains and tubes it's likely to be warm (indeed, stuffy on the tube). March is generally considered a spring month in the UK (unlike in the US, where the first day of spring is reckoned to be the vernal equinox around 21—22 March), but the weather may or may not be springlike.

But don't overpack: the weather is unlikely to be extreme.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 5:16 pm

Historical weather data

If you want London weather data for the last 13 years you will find it here:

http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/03772.html

Go to "History and Almanac" near the bottom left-hand corner
Old Feb 20, 2009, 8:47 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1.3 Million Mile, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President Circle, Global Entry
I am in London almost every March (arriving March 7 this year) and, though it may sound strange, the humidity sneaks up on you. And, I am from Houston where we are used to humidity, but with the heat. London is cool and humid---layers make sense you can shed them as you see fit and get more ventilation!
Old Feb 21, 2009, 12:10 pm

If you were going to choose a month to visit London, which month would it be?
Old Feb 21, 2009, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by colletteflys
If you were going to choose a month to visit London, which month would it be?
I presume that you're talking in relation to the weather. But because of the vagaries of the London weather, it's almost impossible to answer. If I had to give a time of year, with a gun to my head, I'd probably opt for early autumn (September or the first half of October). But, really, there can be good and bad weather at any time of year. You just have to take your chances.

I ought to add, though, that I think that the tales of London's awful weather are somewhat exaggerated. It's uncertain, and it can be grey, but there are lots of places in the world where the weather, taken as a whole, is far worse, I should say.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 12:19 am

Programs: UAL 1K (1.6 Million Miles), Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
I live in San Francisco and travel to London 2-3 times a year.....I find the weather very similar to San Francisco.....cool, damp, some sun, some clouds. I generally bring the same clothes I wear here at home, except in deep winter where I throw in a scarf and gloves. Rain jacket and umbrella are needed pretty much all year round......

Enjoy London.....I'll be there next week!
Old Feb 22, 2009, 3:38 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
My favourite time would be late May - you can get some cracking weather, without the rampant humidity that appears later in summer. A bank holiday weekend to boot.

Oh - and it's my birthday of course.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 9:37 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1.3 Million Mile, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President Circle, Global Entry
I have had generally good luck with September - October and April, particularly later, into May. So many flowers in the parks in May! I agree that London is alot like San Francisco---in many ways. Many neighborhoods with lots of people walking about, few high-rise buildings (outside of downtown), lots of different ethnic groups/restaurants/stores. Both great cities.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

May and September offer good weather chances, but more importantly far fewer tourists ambling around like lost sheep.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 11:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, FB Plat
Originally Posted by lori in az
I need to know what to pack. I am from Arizona and we don't really have a winter here, so no winter coat, etc.
Please bring/buy a lightweight rain coat otherwise I'm afraid that you will end up on one of those city tours with a complementary see-through plastic raincoat. You'll have tourist written all over you and there's nothing more depressing for me than seeing a whole family stuck in the rain looking ridiculous!

Also be prepared for a lot of walking around. It's the best way to see London. Get the small pocket A-Z that covers the centre and walk between anything from the West End (say Bond Street/Oxford Circus) back to Covent Garden, including Whitehall (Houses of Parliament), Trafalger Square. If you fancy doing Buckingham Palace then a walk up The Mall (1mile at least from Trafalger Sq) is worth doing if the weather's good. If the weather's bad then take a taxi for about 5-7GBP each way, don't Tube it as there's no station close to the Palace and you'll end up walking as much as if you'd started off walking in the first place.

Walking around will mean you'll make sure that you see a heck of a lot more than you would if you take the Tube. If you do fancy the Tube then be warned that when reading Tube maps the distances between stations are not real, nor are the relative locations. It's smaller than it appears, the map is there for clarity not accuracy.

If you fancy going further west like Knightsbridge then do take the Tube, same goes for going east to places like London Bridge. Good luck and enjoy yourselves it's a fantastic city for walking around and exploring, great architecture and shopping.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dsf
I was in Arizona just 2 weeks ago. It was really cold and there was loads of snow on the ground! At the Grand Canyon
Oh, I am much further south...just close to the border of Mexico. It's been hot lately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.