Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ireland Business Trip: Gift Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2008, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Ireland Business Trip: Gift Suggestions

Have a work trip next week for important clients in Ireland. I am wondering if there is anything in particular folks might like from the US, and that is airplane/travel friendly? I usually bring a gift of scotch, but I think that's already taken care of over there
Old Apr 10, 2008, 9:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Waterford crystal is an obvious but tasteful choice. Also, you'd be helping out a venerable Irish business that's having some difficulties thanks to global competition from not so fine crystal imitators.

Woolen clothing items (scarves, hats, sweaters) are nice, quite popular back home and easy to obtain. Try Avoca in Dublin for some excellent couch and bed throws as well as amazing Irish made food stuffs. Seeing as you're from a cold climate the latter suggestion seems extra appropriate.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 10:01 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
If you are close enough to them to know their families, kid gifts are always a nice touch. Maybe Boston Celts shirts/scarves or such? Or even for the adults if you think it appropriate.

Couldn't think of a Boston food thing? From MN there is always wild rice.

I really prefer perishables like food, and clothing that gets worn out, rather than something one has to dust and display.

Romelle
Old Apr 10, 2008, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by MiAAmiNice
Waterford crystal is an obvious but tasteful choice. Also, you'd be helping out a venerable Irish business that's having some difficulties thanks to global competition from not so fine crystal imitators.

Woolen clothing items (scarves, hats, sweaters) are nice, quite popular back home and easy to obtain. Try Avoca in Dublin for some excellent couch and bed throws as well as amazing Irish made food stuffs. Seeing as you're from a cold climate the latter suggestion seems extra appropriate.
I think he means to bring gifts to Ireland, not gifts from Ireland to the US.

If you know the family then something personal like T-shirts, sweatshirts, Football stuff is kool. If Catholic then something local religious. I live in CA so we have quiet a few missions with nice gifts.
If you do not know the family, I like the idea of something edible typical from your area. Maple syrup, good local chocolate.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
let's see what the FlyerTalker in the UK & Ireland forum can contribute to this thread I am moving it so please follow it at its new home

chrissxb
europe forum
Old Apr 11, 2008, 6:33 am

If you live in Philly, you might pop into the Pennsylvania store at the Reading Terminal Market. There is a wide variety of food stuffs and souveniers. Many come from the Lancaster area. If there are teen children (an oxymoron?), sometimes they like the local pins from the Hard Rock cafe (almost next door to the Market).
Old Apr 11, 2008, 3:00 pm

I once used a pocketful of Kennedy Half Dollars to give as keepsakes to friends and relatives. They were delighted to receive them.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 2:35 pm

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
Chocolate is always good (except that stuff which Hershey makes - that's always bad ).
Old Apr 13, 2008, 6:31 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Quality items made in the USA... Cross pen and pencil sets? Longaberger baskets?
Old Apr 14, 2008, 4:18 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by keisari
Football stuff is kool. If Catholic then something local religious. I live in CA so we have quiet a few missions with nice gifts.
I would avoid religious stuff like the plague unless you are absolutely sure: the secular outlook is spreading cheerfully across these islands and the assumption that Catholic = believer cannot be made with the same assurance that it could be in the US apparently.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Oh, here you all are! Somehow with the move I lost my subscription to the thread.

Heading out this afternoon to buy some Ghiradelli, and I'm going to try the bank for Kennedy half-dollars. I do remember seeing a lot of JFK photos throughout my travels.

Thanks again, Chris
Old Apr 15, 2008, 2:37 pm

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
Originally Posted by PHLbuddy
Heading out this afternoon to buy some Ghiradelli...
You're welcome to visit me too! Ghiradelli... mmmm...
Old Apr 15, 2008, 4:10 pm

>" I'm going to try the bank for Kennedy half-dollars. I do remember seeing a lot of JFK photos throughout my travels."

You said "Important Clients". JFK has been dead almost 45 years and you are planning to hand out a coin worth about $.25? Certainly doesn't sound impressive to me.

You could take some ties/scarves from VineyardVines.com
Old Apr 19, 2008, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Post Script: No kennedy half-dollars available.
So I went with Cross pens and Ghiradelli. And they were big hits. Apparently, Cross used to have a plant in Ireland, so they are perceived quite favourably.
Jane: I see your point, however, I mentioned this to one of my colleagues in Ireland and they said the Irish love all things Kennedy, and this would have also been well-received.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 8 MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JanePond
>" I'm going to try the bank for Kennedy half-dollars. I do remember seeing a lot of JFK photos throughout my travels."

You said "Important Clients". JFK has been dead almost 45 years and you are planning to hand out a coin worth about $.25? Certainly doesn't sound impressive to me.

You could take some ties/scarves from VineyardVines.com
Why is a Kennedy Half Dollar worth $.25? I would give you $.30 each for any quantity you can come up with.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.