Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Tips on booking on UK websites with US credit cards?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2008, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: N/A

Hello, I'm trying to purchase some bus tickets from Megabus.com and can't get their website to accept my US Visa or MasterCard credit cards. Interestingly, their website offers the option of making payment in British Pounds, Euros, or US Dollars. And their payment webpage has a country dropdown list (where I've selected "United States").

I've called my credit card issuers and they swear they're not the ones declining my transaction, and they've even notated my account to expect UK transactions. (I'm only trying to charge £4.50!)

Has anyone experienced similar problems? My credit card billing address is a post office box. Do UK websites expect certain addresses to be entered in a particular manner?

Thanks for any suggestions!
Old Mar 19, 2008, 8:07 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Gotta be Megabus. I've used my U.S. credit card on a bunch of UK sites (show tickets, Heathrow express, other UK train tickets, Yotel, etc.).
Old Mar 20, 2008, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Gotta be Megabus. I've used my U.S. credit card on a bunch of UK sites (show tickets, Heathrow express, other UK train tickets, Yotel, etc.).
I've since discovered that Megabus.com/UK has not become my only source of credit card consternation. I'm trying to book some form of travel (bus, train, anything!) between London and Oxford and so far, both Megabus.com/UK and First Great Western Railway have refused all of my credit cards.

I've encountered better luck when I booked my London to York trip to visit the National Railway Museum. National Express East Coast Railway declined my Visa credit card, but accepted my MasterCard credit card.

I've left a message with Megabus.com/US customer service to see if they could refer my problem to someone at Megabus.com/UK for a possible solution. I'll keep my fingers crossed!
Old Mar 21, 2008, 12:37 pm

Programs: BA Silver, FI, AC
Originally Posted by Tracklet
I've since discovered that Megabus.com/UK has not become my only source of credit card consternation. I'm trying to book some form of travel (bus, train, anything!) between London and Oxford and so far, both Megabus.com/UK and First Great Western Railway have refused all of my credit cards.

I've encountered better luck when I booked my London to York trip to visit the National Railway Museum. National Express East Coast Railway declined my Visa credit card, but accepted my MasterCard credit card.

I've left a message with Megabus.com/US customer service to see if they could refer my problem to someone at Megabus.com/UK for a possible solution. I'll keep my fingers crossed!
You need to register with FGW before you can buy tickets on line. The registration process demands a UK postcode - other countries' postcodes will not work. Use the address and postcode of your London hotel or a friend's place to register.

When it comes time for payment, you'll be asked if you wish to use the address with which you registered or a different address, which must be your credit card's mailing address. At that time, the system will allow for a non-UK address to be used.

Sounds complicated but is easier to do than to explain. NXEC has (thus far) accepted registration with NoAm addresses - FGW, please copy!!
Old Mar 21, 2008, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Trav+
You need to register with FGW before you can buy tickets on line. The registration process demands a UK postcode - other countries' postcodes will not work. Use the address and postcode of your London hotel or a friend's place to register.

When it comes time for payment, you'll be asked if you wish to use the address with which you registered or a different address, which must be your credit card's mailing address. At that time, the system will allow for a non-UK address to be used.

Sounds complicated but is easier to do than to explain. NXEC has (thus far) accepted registration with NoAm addresses - FGW, please copy!!
Yes, I previously registered with FGW last week by "tricking" their website by registering the FGW headquarters address (since I couldn't think a UK address to use at the time) and substituted that address with my own US credit card billing address during the payment process.

FGW apparently attempted to authorize my Visa credit card because I was prompted by "Verified by Visa" to enter my password, after which the transaction was declined.

I did receive the following reply from Megabus.com/UK, so this is a known problem:

At present our banking partners (RBS) Worldpay are experiencing some difficulty processing payments made with certain card types. We are currently working with them in order to find a solution. In the meantime, the only option is to ask someone to book on your behalf. I am very sorry for the inconvenience this may cause.

A fellow UK-based FTer has graciously volunteered to purchase the Megabus tickets for me, so I'll see how that goes. Thanks for your help!
Old Mar 22, 2008, 11:34 pm

Hi,
I'm so glad to find out this. I was trying to buy train tickets from London to Edinburgh with my USA credit card. It would not recognize it as valid. I called up my credit card company and they said there was no problem on their end. It must be the merchant. After seeing this post, I just had to reply and confirm that you were not imaging things. It happened to me too.

The work around was to call my uncle and ask him to book the tickets for me with his credit card. Then run to the bank and wire the money so that he has it on hand when he gets the credit card bill in his mail.

Thank you for verifying that I was not losing my mind!!
Old Mar 22, 2008, 11:50 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
There are quite a lot of UK sites that don't seem to accept cards with non-UK addresses.

With travel-realated things I can usually find another site with an equivalent price/product, but sometimes you do just have to call.

However, buying gifts for UK delivery is quite difficult with a US CC. I've given up trying to buy gifts from anywhere other than the UK Amazon site.

Originally Posted by beemertoo
The work around was to call my uncle and ask him to book the tickets for me with his credit card. Then run to the bank and wire the money so that he has it on hand when he gets the credit card bill in his mail.
Wire transfer can work out quite expensive for small amounts. Paypal can work out cheaper for smaller amounts (but can be comparatively expensive for larger amounts).
Old Apr 1, 2008, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

I'm so glad to find out this. I was trying to buy train tickets from London to Edinburgh with my USA credit card. It would not recognize it as valid. I called up my credit card company and they said there was no problem on their end. It must be the merchant. After seeing this post, I just had to reply and confirm that you were not imaging things. It happened to me too.
I have no doubt that my US credit cards will work in person once I arrive in the UK, so I'm guessing that it's website purchases that are the most problematic, if any. What surprises me is that the Megabus.com/UK website appears to be set up for accepting international payments (going so far as quoting prices in pounds, euros, and dollars), but experiences problems with certain card types.

So it appears that the best solution for now is to find someone in the UK to conduct the transaction (which you've done). Even with PayPal transaction fees, I'd still save money on the advance-purchased bus tickets versus paying the "walk up" fare once I arrive in the UK.

(Interestingly, Megabus.com/US continues to expand their presence in the US, offering FREE tickets on their east coast routes May 30-June 5.)
Old Apr 1, 2008, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Trav+
NXEC sells FGW - and virtually all other - UK train tickets.

What you might not be able to get are special deals - discounts, combination tickets - that are specific to one website
Old Apr 1, 2008, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Hi,

Thank you for verifying that I was not losing my mind!!
Be careful when doing this - when you appear to collect your tickets at the station it is likely that you will need the credit card used for the purchase.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by milepig
Be careful when doing this - when you appear to collect your tickets at the station it is likely that you will need the credit card used for the purchase.

Thank you for looking out for me. The tickets were delivered to uncle's house already. So no need to collect tickets at the station. On the website, it offered free delivery to UK address. I told Uncle to opt for this free delivery as I have to visit him as soon as I land. I kill two birds with one stone. See him and pick up the tickets! Yay! Time saving!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.