Search

Getting to STN from the east coast main line

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2007, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Getting to STN from the east coast main line

Sorry about this "what you might think as silly" question. I have been working abroad for a while and am kind of lost when it comes to London now.

I need to get from NCL to STN by train. So does this mean that we hav to go to Kings Cross and then underground it to Euston and get the train back up? Seems like a waste of almost 2 hrs. Is there another option? Can we get off on the way somewhere and get another train?

I know there is a direct Easyjet flight but the flight times don't match.

Thanks!
Old Dec 21, 2007, 1:38 am

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
You can get off at Peterborough - there may be direct trains from Peterborough or else change at Cambridge.

Also depends on your ticket type. Certain fares won't allow travel via London.
Old Dec 21, 2007, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can change at Peterborough and take the cross-country service to Stansted. This should shave off about 1/2 to 3/4 hour on the journey but may be more expensive.
Check on nationalrail.co.uk.
Old Dec 21, 2007, 2:31 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Do leave plenty time, though, as the CrossCountry service will be coming from Birmingham via Leicester, and does suffer from quite a few delays.

You could also get a bus from Stevenage, but as this a) is irregular, b) involves getting a bus and c) involves going to Stevenage, I would avoid this...
Old Dec 21, 2007, 3:54 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
I make this journey a fair bit, and have to say that all the options are pretty much as inconvenient as each other.

Note that between 23/12 - 01/01 the Stansted Express will operate to and from Tottenham Hale, not Liverpool St. This makes it a good idea to avoid London if you're travelling during that period.

http://www.stanstedexpress.com

The East Coast Mainline itself has engineering works over the holidays too, so it's worth checking before you commit yourself.

I usually use easyJet, but you say that's not an option.

Have you thought about a one-way car rental? Europcar and Avis have some keen one-way rates.
Old Dec 21, 2007, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mad_rich
I make this journey a fair bit, and have to say that all the options are pretty much as inconvenient as each other.

Note that between 23/12 - 01/01 the Stansted Express will operate to and from Tottenham Hale, not Liverpool St. This makes it a good idea to avoid London if you're travelling during that period.

http://www.stanstedexpress.com

The East Coast Mainline itself has engineering works over the holidays too, so it's worth checking before you commit yourself.

I usually use easyJet, but you say that's not an option.

Have you thought about a one-way car rental? Europcar and Avis have some keen one-way rates.
Hey! Great to meet another FT'er from NCL. Alreet mate! There aren't many of us on here.

Secondly there are 10 of us so car hire won't work out but maybe a Van rental might be cheaper. But I don't think you can rent Van's one way? Can you?

We are travelling in April so no Holiday rush to worry about. If we book now we can get a return trip for around 25 pounds on the train.

How long should Peterbrough to STN take?
Old Dec 21, 2007, 5:27 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by lallyr
Hey! Great to meet another FT'er from NCL. Alreet mate! There aren't many of us on here.
What we lack in number, we make up for in noise. ^

Train is about an hour and a half from Peterborough, IIRC, but not that frequent. At least it actually gets you to the airport, though, unlike Luton.

Minibus rental may be tricky - there are restrictions on what you can drive, under which circumstances, depending on when you got your driving licence. Sixt/ Kennings did me a good 24-hour rate for a Transit from Wembley-Gateshead, so it might be worth seeing if they do minibuses. Also check with Patterson Ford, behind Central station. That's where we used to get minibuses from (albeit not one-way).

In any case, I would guess that two medium-sized cars will be cheaper than a bus. Say £40 for the rental + £25 in petrol per car. That works out at £13 each, and you can leave Newcastle when you want.
Old Dec 21, 2007, 5:30 am

As others have pointed out STN is a swine to get to by public transport unless you live in London or the Cambridge area.

Coming from the north, I've found it easier to get to Gatwick than Stansted by public transport - doubly so now that the Thameslink station to Gatwick is at St Pancras

If you find the hire companies that use STN you should be able to get a one way hire as a not too extortionate cost

I'd also check into flying via Amsterdam to wherever you are going
Old Dec 21, 2007, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

In any case, I would guess that two medium-sized cars will be cheaper than a bus. Say £40 for the rental + £25 in petrol per car. That works out at £13 each, and you can leave Newcastle when you want.
Thats a good idea but which company does o/w rentals without a surplus charge. In my past experiance they normally charge around 35pounds o/w charge + rental.
Old Dec 21, 2007, 6:01 am

Europcar used to have a special offer called 'Boomerang' which is 2 * one-way rentals (at the beginning and end of your hol) for £69 I think.

Can't see it on the website at the mo, but there is another offer - half price one-way rentals to London. Not relevant to you, because the dates/ airports don't match, but worth keeping an eye on.

Also try www.bcvr.co.uk, which seems to beat Europcar at their own rates.
Old Dec 21, 2007, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Europcar used to have a special offer called 'Boomerang' which is 2 * one-way rentals (at the beginning and end of your hol) for £69 I think.

Can't see it on the website at the mo, but there is another offer - half price one-way rentals to London. Not relevant to you, because the dates/ airports don't match, but worth keeping an eye on.

Also try www.bcvr.co.uk, which seems to beat Europcar at their own rates.
Thanks! Thats perfect. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.