Wiki Posts
Search

London Airports transfer FAQ: LHR, LGW, LCY, LTN, STN, SOU, SEN

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2015, 8:00 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
http://www.batterseahelicopter.com/
Old Mar 27, 2015, 8:41 am

Presumably the helicopter reference is tongue in cheek. But just in case, worth mentioning that there is a complete ban on helicopter traffic at LCY.
Using HEX for this journey is (theoretically) 15 minutes shorter than tube. But as the HEX only runs every 15 minutes, it's a somewhat illusory time saving.
As you've realised, you wouldn't make it, even though bag delivery at LCY is generally very fast.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
Morning

Arriving LCY (scheduled) at 08:10, departing T5 at 10:25. I know that this is cutting it v fine, but by my standards it's just about doable with carryon - I'm familiar with the DLR/tube network, would have a HEX ticket in my hand, know T5 and am happy with 'just making conformance' etc.

However, it is likely that I will have to bring a checked bag with me to LCY, which I will then want to leave at left luggage at LHR... how much is waiting for luggage at LCY likely to delay me (this is from IOM, so doubt that there will be many bags)? And would I be better of leaving the checked bag at left luggage (cut-off is conformance) or am I actually better of checking it in for my next flight (ie remove faff time at left luggage) - but what's the bag check cutoff time?

I haven't checked a bag in more than a year...

thanks

PS - this would be the Tuesday after the Easter weekend

Actually, ignore the above. I've just checked the HEX timings and I'd need to be on the 09:10 from Paddington (next train arrives T5 at 09:46, ie giving me only 4 minutes to make conformance which isn't possible) and I don't have any confidence in my ability to get from wheels down to the HEX platform in an hour with a bag to collect.
I have to say this one looks like a non-starter I'm afraid.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 4:07 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
thanks all - I had indeed realised that it was a non-starter a few minutes after posting. will overnight in London instead
Old Jun 22, 2016, 1:37 am

Having read this thread, and looking across here, it seems the Feltham Rail-Air information is a bit out of date. The fare is probably wrong and it's also worth pointing out that if you want to go to T4 or T5 you should get the 490 bus, not the 285, which goes to T2 and T3. It may also be worth pointing out that there's a fast train from Feltham to Clapham Junction, which provides connections to loads of places south of London, as well as the Overground.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 2:41 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Good spot - duly updated. Really need to format these into a wiki!
Old Jun 22, 2016, 3:33 am

Other suggested updates.

Lots of references to previous franchise holder - FCC.
Ticket prices throughout out of date.

Some suggested revisions.

Current text:
“Note that Gatwick Express is now part of Southern Railway, and now is run as a distinct service in off-peak (commuter) hours, but during peak times, it forms part of a London-Brighton service.”
Suggested alteration.
All trains between Gatwick and London are operated by GoViaThameslink, but with different brand names on different services. Services branded “Express” are charged at a premium rate. 50% of trains branded Express (at all hours) run to/from Brighton, so there is no guarantee that there will be free seats. Services branded Express are perceived to be quicker - but often aren’t. The maximum time saving is five minutes and some “ordinary” trains take less time than services branded “Express”.

Current text: (Pros)
“Unlike the other rail services, you can buy your ticket on the train at no supplement”
Suggested alteration.
In previous years, it was permitted to buy tickets on board. This is no longer permitted - travelling without a ticket (or oyster/contactless) will incur a penalty or prosecution.

Current text: (Tips)
“There is no supplement for paying on board (and they take credit cards). Don't queue if you're going to miss one”
Suggested alteration.
- The previous facility to buy on-board the train is no longer provided. You must either have a paper ticket or an “electronic authority to travel”. Buying a paper ticket can be slow (queues often build up in the ticket office area) and requires you to decide which train “brand” you intend to travel on, as well as which London terminal you are aimed for. Using oyster (or contactless bank card or Apple/Android pay) removes the need to queue - you proceed straight to the platform entrance and provides more flexibility. You enter the station and can then travel on whichever service is leaving next. The appropriate fare is charged at journey end - note that travelling on trains branded “Express” will cost approximately double the fare on other trains.
- Using oyster (or contactless bank card or Apple/Android pay) usually gives the cheapest rail fare to/from Gatwick. Occasionally a paper ticket can be cheaper, but the difference is not large, and for most travellers the convenience of not having to queue for a ticket outweighs any small cost penalty.

Current text: (Destinations)
“Southern Railway terminates in Victoria, as with Gatwick Express above.
Most Southern trains also call at Clapham Junction, with connections to South West Trains and other Southern Services to SW London, South London, Surrey, Hampshire and beyond.
Most Southern and all First Capital Connect trains also call at East Croydon, with connections to the Croydon Tramlink, and other South London destinations

Suggested alteration. (Destinations within London)
- Because of major engineering works at London Bridge, many connection options available in previous years are currently not viable. There are frequent alterations to service patterns because of the engineering programme - always worth checking the national rail website before travel. These engineering works will continue until 2018.
- Trains branded Southern may terminate at Victoria or London Bridge
- Trains branded Thameslink may terminate at London Bridge or Bedford.
- Trains for Bedford will call at other central London stations (Blackfriars / CityThameslink / Farringdon / St Pancras - but NOT London Bridge)
- Trains branded Southern or Thameslink may be either Semi-Fast (typically at only one or two intermediate stations) or Slow (calling most/all intermediate stations. Check the destination board to see the stopping pattern. Semi-Fast services are considerable quicker than Slow services.
- All trains branded Southern or Thameslink will call at East Croydon.
- At certain times, the fastest services into central London are Thameslink - 30 minutes to London Bridge with only one stop. Note these only operate every 30 minutes, and at certain times of day.
- In conjunction with the major engineering works at London Bridge, significant timetable changes are being planned for future years - the details listed here will be outdated by 2018.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 3:54 am

LCY - suggested changes

Current text: (Tips)
“Transport for London (TfL) have recently introduced punitive fares for single paper tickets on their network. This is to encourage people to use Oyster, a proximity card with either a rechargeable pre-pay balance (at discounted journey rates) or a season ticket. One-day travelcards (must include Zone 6 for LHR) are still good value, but the Oyster pre-pay scheme will 'cap' the price of a day's journeys at 50p less than the equivalent travelcard - however, this does not work if you want to use National Rail services within Greater London. Pre-pay Oyster cards need not be registered, and can be bought in advance or from any London Underground ticket counter, and now from several Oyster vending machines - this saves a lot of time!
If you have an Oystercard, remember to touch in/out at LCY. The machine is in a stupid location, on the ticket office side of the metal divider, and it's easy to miss it.

Suggested revision
- Transport for London are keen to discourage cash fares - so paper tickets are charged at punitive rates. Using a cash single ticket or paper day travelcard always costs considerably more than using oyster (or contactless bank card or Apple/Android pay).
- When using oyster (or contactless bank card or Apple/Android pay) you must tap in/out at London City. As there is no physical barrier, it is easy to overlook this step - failure to do will incur a penalty charge. The oyster readers are against a wall, opposite the escalators leading to/from the DLR platforms.

Current text - Taxi - Cons:
“While traffic heading into London from City Airport isn't too bad compared to the rest of the city, once you get to Central London, you're still subject to the awful traffic.”

Suggested revision.
Taxi is undoubtedly convenient but is not guaranteed to be quickest. The route between central London and LCY passes the Blackwall Tunnel, which is subject to awful traffic jams (there are no viable alternate routes - if the Blackwall traffic is backed up your taxi will be caught in the jam). Furthermore, in the last year (2016 compared to 2015), both of the major road routes into the City (through Aldgate or through Tower Hill / Lower Thames Street) have been deliberately reengineered from two lane to single lane - road journeys through this area may be much slower than in previous years. This reflects is a deliberate policy by tfl to remove road space from motor vehicles in favour of pedestrians / cyclists.
For context, note that over 60% of passengers using LCY arrive/depart by DLR - the highest public transport share of any UK airport.

Bus Links
Suggested new text.
There are two local buses serving LCY (routes 473 and 474) but these serve purely local routes through local housing areas and are not likely to be of any use to LCY passengers.
Note that if intending to use a bus, buses across London do not accept cash fares. You must use oyster (or contactless bank card or Apple/Android pay).
Old Feb 11, 2017, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Is there a train or bus option out of T5 to Bath? Preferences?
Old Feb 11, 2017, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by EXPLAT
Is there a train or bus option out of T5 to Bath? Preferences?
bus - National Express from the central bus station at T2/3. But it's not the most frequent service.

train - Train/tube to Paddington then Great Western train. Other option is the rail air coach LHR - Reading and pick up train there.

preference is yours down to time, cost and simplicity. Play around with national rail enquiries website for costs and routes. Rather that T5 to bath price that plus also T5- Paddington and Paddington - bath as separate fares as could be cheaper.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 1:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Rail air coach to Reading and then the train to Bath
Old Feb 23, 2017, 4:34 pm

Any recent experiences (good or bad) with the Gatwick Express? The consensus on Yelp and TripAdvisor seems to be that it's pretty abysmal.
Any thoughts from FTers who have recently used it?
Old Feb 23, 2017, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by FlagrantViola
Any recent experiences (good or bad) with the Gatwick Express? The consensus on Yelp and TripAdvisor seems to be that it's pretty abysmal.
Any thoughts from FTers who have recently used it?
Yes there are current issues with the GEX but they are often over blown.

the southern trains are cheaper and only 5-10 minutes (if that) longer journey time.

The question I would ask is do you actually need to be in the Victoria area on arrival becuse other trains and stations might be better.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 10:58 pm

Any recommendations for

1. 1pm arrival Heathrow to SoHo for two pax with luggage?
Which is a good option? Uber maybe?
I arrive at T4 I think.

2. 9am flight departure from Heathrow
From Victoria station area, would there be traffic problems to get to Heathrow?
Thinking maybe using Uber?

What are your recommendations?

Thank u!
Old Feb 24, 2017, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Yes there are current issues with the GEX but they are often over blown.

the southern trains are cheaper and only 5-10 minutes (if that) longer journey time.

The question I would ask is do you actually need to be in the Victoria area on arrival becuse other trains and stations might be better.
I'm considering using it only from London to LGW. We will be staying in Westminster and so will be very close to Victoria Station.
Thanks for the response!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.