Wiki Posts
Search

8 hour layover at LHR

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2007, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat), HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
8 hour layover at LHR

In a few weeks, I’ll be doing a mileage run to keep my PLAT status that is going to leave me with an 8 hour layover at LHR? Any idea’s for London activities during that time would be appreciated. (It will be a Sunday)

Is there a train I can take to the “city" from LHR? How much would a taxi cost?

Thanks for your suggestions.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 5:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
Originally Posted by SafeFlyer
In a few weeks, I’ll be doing a mileage run to keep my PLAT status that is going to leave me with an 8 hour layover at LHR? Any idea’s for London activities during that time would be appreciated. (It will be a Sunday)

First - you should post this question on the Europe/London forum. Your question has nothing to do with AA.

That said, I will tell you this. If you are alone, forget taxis, cars, etc. (very expensive)

Cheap option, but a long ride (about 45-60 minutes, depending where you want to go) - Tube

More expensive, but very quick (15 minutes into Paddington Station) - Heathrow Express

You do have enough time to hit the city with either transportation option.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by andrzej
First - you should post this question on the Europe/London forum. Your question has nothing to do with AA.

That said, I will tell you this. If you are alone, forget taxis, cars, etc. (very expensive)

Cheap option, but a long ride (about 45-60 minutes, depending where you want to go) - Tube

More expensive, but very quick (15 minutes into Paddington Station) - Heathrow Express

You do have enough time to hit the city with either transportation option.
Welcome to FT!

Agree on moving this to the U.K. forum. This question has been asked and answered many times there. You'll find lots of suggestions, many of them by locals who would never visit the AA forum. Perhaps a moderator will move this, or close it and suggest posting in an existing thread there if you want more ideas.

(With over 150,000 FT members and thousands of posts per day, keeping a tight rein on where posts go is the only way to avoid total chaos.)

That said, since it's here ... the time difference between the Tube and HEX is smaller than it seems, since unless you want to go to a few places which are unlikely destinations for a first visit, you'll have to use another form of transport from Paddington on. The Tube can drop you where you want to be.

If it's not your first visit, consider a bus to Eton/Windsor. You have time for a walk around town, a tour of the Castle and a cup of tea.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 6:57 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Agree w/ the others that you're not the first to ask this question, & suggest you peruse the London forum.

As an AA Plat, you will have access to the Business Class OW Lounges on your returning flight. Cathay's is a recommended stop, and I think JAL's is too (haven't been to JAL's personally, so can't comment). Only bother with American's AAdmirals Club when you're leaving the Cathay/CX lounge & as you arrive in the area of AA's gates, stopping in to see if the flight back is leaving on time.

And, as an AA Plat, you'll have AAdmirals Club access stateside...which, in a few weeks, might be handy when winter weather starts skewing things.

While 8 hours sounds like a lot, knock off time at either end for exiting/entering security, knocking your time down to 6.5-7 hours. Knock off a 30-45 minute ride into Central London (HEX or Tube)...so, possibly 6 hours.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 7:03 pm

remember this important info:

When buying your LHR express ticket (by far the best deal) be sure to ask for the same day return ticket (I think they call it the "see London" fare). It is only a few pounds more than a "normal" one way ticket and almost half the fare of a "normal" r/t ticket. In my experience they wont tell you about it if you dont ask for it. MUCH better than taking the TUBE especially if you only have 8 hours.

Taxis are outrageously expensive ... dont bother. Buses probably too much of a bother to figure out for a one time 8 hour visit.

My 2 cents ... keep the change ...
Old Nov 6, 2007, 7:06 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Another thought--if you're keen on taking the HEX, look around the BA or London forum or just google HEX discount codes, as these do appear & float around from time to time.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 8:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Right-o, mates, this thread is off to the UK, and Bob's your uncle!
Old Nov 7, 2007, 7:01 am

Programs: AA since 07/03/1985
Quicky in London

London in a flash ?
Buy your Heathrow Express Ticket online, Walk up to the machine ( On the way to the platform) punch in your magic code.
LHR - Paddington PDQ.. Probably an hour in total from exiting Customs.
You've got time for a few quick trips..
You're a Dude ?
Go to Jermyn Street and buy some new duds. Something you can't get easily here.. Go to Geo Trumpers and get a shave..(You'll need it)
Stop off at Harrod's and Downstairs you can get some VINTAGE scotch at reasonable prices considering the age.. If you could find them in the US they would be a thousand dollar.. Then nip into the "Pub" downstairs by the Mens.. For a ploughmans and a pint..
Go into Ladbrokes and plac a bet on something rediculous
Old Nov 7, 2007, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
.......8 hour layover at LHR? Any idea’s for London activities during that time would be appreciated. (It will be a Sunday)

Of the two meaningful transport means, I think the tube would be a better fit. Once you are in the tube system, you make easy connections to go where you plan to go. With HEX, you end up at Paddington, and still have to connect to the tube from there (nothing to see around Paddington). The tube is cheaper option, but cost you an extra 25-45 minutes. But this time can be minimized depends on where you ultimately plan to go.

Where to go? A wide open question. If you are a first timer to London, and considering the limited time, I suggest you go straight to St Paul Cathedral, from there head south (cross the Millennium bridge to Tate Modern, walk along the Thames westwards to (and cross it) Westminster Bridge and check out the Big Ben. Along the south bank, pick a riverfront pub for a lager and fish/chip (what the heck, be a tourist!).
Admittedly, time is of the essence. You need to manage time so that you can hop on a tube train back to LHR on time!
Enjoy London!
Old Nov 7, 2007, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Since you are there on Sunday, please double check online for tube closure (due to maintenance and construction).
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/home.aspx
Old Nov 7, 2007, 12:47 pm

Programs: Virtuoso Travel Advisor. FSPP, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond BelliniClub. SPG PRO
Originally Posted by allset2travel
Since you are there on Sunday, please double check online for tube closure (due to maintenance and construction).
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/home.aspx
Thanks for the link. I have the same situation although almost 11 hours coming up on a Sunday.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat), HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
Just wanted to say thank you for the replies, and I will search the other (correct) forums. Pip-Pip, Cheerie-o (Yeah, I know I botched that) Ciao...
Old Nov 12, 2007, 2:34 am

Originally Posted by msakas
London in a flash ? Buy your Heathrow Express Ticket onlin [snip] Go to Jermyn Street and buy some new duds. [snip] Stop off at Harrod's and Downstairs you can get some VINTAGE scotch at reasonable prices
No. Don't take the Heathrow Express. Every destination you are suggesting is on the Piccadilly line. Take the tube. It will be quicker and a lot cheaper.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.